U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:38 PM

3,170 posts, read 6,329,871 times
Ohio salts.

Also, that claim about cancer after 5 years is complete BS. We had an 85 Cavalier for 15 years and it only had a couple of spots on it. I have a 6 year old trailblazer and it's totally fine as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 12:40 PM

8,737 posts, read 20,561,569 times
From time to time you will see corrosion-related car recalls, these are active only in the "salt states".

A good approximation would be the War between the States Union States plus Virginia and Missouri.

Another way to look at it is the Northeast and Midwest use road salt.

Neither one of these is 100% accurate, but both are pretty close. You do see some road salt used around Spokane, but I would not call Washington a "rust belt" state, you don't get the salty slush for weeks at a time here that you get in the Rust Belt proper.

As has been pointed out, you will want to avoid coastal cars as well, they rust in different places than rust belt cars but they do rust.

My general rule is to avoid, or at least look on with skepticism, cars from anywhere north and east of Denver. But, I'm on the west coast...

Old 12-30-2008, 01:06 PM

4,212 posts, read 10,873,445 times
The "turn to cancer by 5 year mark" was a figure of speech, though I have noticed 5 year old cars with rust issues. And I'm not talking about a Chevy Vega either, which I'll guess you have never heard of.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:43 PM

3,141 posts, read 4,667,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Ohio salts.

Also, that claim about cancer after 5 years is complete BS. We had an 85 Cavalier for 15 years and it only had a couple of spots on it. I have a 6 year old trailblazer and it's totally fine as well.
Whenever I see an Ohio vehicle be it on the internet or in person they are always in much better shape than NY cars, then again I think its safe to say that western NY uses more salt than any other region in the nation.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:16 PM

4,204 posts, read 10,104,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Salt doesnt rust cars after "5 years", thats ridiculous. Keep up the waxing on the car and keep it washed in winter, and the bodies will be fine. Things like exhaust/frame might get a little rusty in that time, but it wont render them useless, not even close. I had my Toyota for 8 years here, not a speck of rust, and it was driven daily. Heck, I even stripped all the clearcoat off and painted it flat black and it still didnt rust. The cars that rust here simply arent maintained nicely, simple as that.

I agree. I drive a 1991 Maxima and it runs great and looks great. You'd think it's from New Mexico or something... Then again I detail cars and I wash it once a week... I recommend washing at least once a week.. Automatic washes are ok, but I think manual is the way to go. Why? Well because you can clean your underbody and wheel wells more thoroughly that that lame auto wash at your local Shell station et cetera.

Just wash it often and you'll be fine!

Old 12-30-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Whenever I see an Ohio vehicle be it on the internet or in person they are always in much better shape than NY cars, then again I think its safe to say that western NY uses more salt than any other region in the nation.
Actuallly, it would probably depend on which area of Ohio it comes from. I believe the Cincy area only gets 20-25 inches/year, C-bus gets a little more. West of Cleveland probably gets 40-50 inches where the eastside is snowbelt......i'm sure you know all about that being in western NY.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:47 PM

860 posts, read 1,739,725 times
Here you go...

What states salt their roads? What states to avoid buying a car from?-roadsaltusuage1.jpg

Old 12-30-2008, 08:02 PM

1,983 posts, read 2,341,190 times
North Dakota looks like the place to be, cold and snow and no salt.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 PM

My friend who lives in ND says that they use sand. Unfortunately, it's freezing cold there, very windy, and no trees. No thank you!

Old 12-30-2008, 09:46 PM

6,992 posts, read 13,387,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
Here you go...

Attachment 33374
Interesting map.... what do the states in white use?

Although its a rare occasion, it certainally snows in Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia (particularly in the northern part of the states) and especially snows in North Dakota (which is also a white state) - what do they use if they dont use salt or sand? It snows more in Georgia than South Carolina and it shows SC uses sand. Snow in SC is very rare.

They use salt here in Tennessee, but since snow is not that much of an occurance, rust is not an issue here.

I have seen some cars from up north like from Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin and New York, etc with heavy rust- even later models. I guess they are from the salt belt and/or rarely washed.

I have an aunt in Detroit that would have to buy a new car every 4-5 years back in the 70s because it would start rusting.

Here in the southeast, any cars that have rust is because of the very high humidity levels, or they have have been near the coast - NOT from salty roads - and then its just surface rust on some untreated parts.

BTW - I just seen where ND uses sand.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 12-30-2008 at 09:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive