Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 05:48 AM

3,961 posts, read 10,958,591 times

Advertisements

WI salts heavily as needed, and also has mixed in beet juice to stretch it's capacity. Sand is also used, especially when it hits teens and below ( which it often does ) as salt stops working at a certain point.
Wash your car once a week, paying attn to the underbody; and it should be fine. But if you don't you will notice the corrosive powers of salt.
A side issue to salting too much, it can pit your drive and apron as well when the salt trucks go thru and have to spread larger amounts due to depth of snow/ice packs. Oh, and the salt & sand loves to do damage to car windows over time, the grains flying all around leaving pitting marks on the glass.
hmmm, why did we move from there???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 10:57 PM

3 posts, read 54,854 times
Default undisclosed seve rust on an Ohio Ebay sellers car

I just bought this 94 caprice from an Ohio EBay seller,,none of this rust was disclosed, I was able to poke my finger through the lower control arm that attaches the rear axle to the body.
Attached Thumbnails
What states salt their roads? What states to avoid buying a car from?-rusted-control-arm.jpg  

Old 03-22-2010, 01:44 AM

143 posts, read 739,441 times
i see that some dont think salt causes rust only after 5 years ? that is the most bull**** i ever heard .then you havent been under your car.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:01 AM

11,153 posts, read 29,139,769 times
the best solution if you can afford too is buy a cheap reliable winter beater and have a nicer car for spring and summer that way when the beater rusts out you can just get rid of it

Old 03-22-2010, 04:53 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,688,387 times
Ouch topmeat69. You're definitely going to want to get that trailing arm replaced. Can't say I've ever seen one rust out like that.

Ditto on what GTO lover said, get an old beater for the winter months if you live in a salty state.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:17 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,148,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topmeat69 View Post
I just bought this 94 caprice from an Ohio EBay seller,,none of this rust was disclosed, I was able to poke my finger through the lower control arm that attaches the rear axle to the body.
That really does not look like salt damage to me. I don't see any rust on the axle, spring or shock. Those are all areas wear the paint eventually flakes off.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:12 PM

691 posts, read 1,422,040 times
NJ uses a lot of salt, for the most part if a car is over 15 years old its going to have rot on it

Old 03-22-2010, 10:11 PM

5,794 posts, read 13,883,492 times
I love older Volvos. But I always try to buy them from anywhere that is south of Vermont - where there isn't a need to salt as frequently. And I agree that it is most prudent to have a winter beater as GTOlover mentioned. A good indicator of which states use the saltimus maximus formula is that evergreens near the roadside will be anything but green.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:58 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,090,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topmeat69 View Post

Ugh, thats bad. I have a 1991 Caprice (same body style) with a perfect undercarrige, but its a local (southern) car.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:57 PM

39,789 posts, read 26,271,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
-"I'm pretty sure PA does"-------

using sand on roads w/o salt added would be a waste of time and money and accomplish nothing in winter regions.
My state used to sand/gravel roads without the use of salt. It worked fine on rural roads. There was a layer of ice and snow, but you had some "bite" to it, plus cars and bridges didn't rust out. Unfortunately, the clean air cops got involved, that sand put a little dust in the air and they had to shut that program down in favor of salt or other liquid deicer.

I escaped from NY, where salt was heavily used. Up until the late 80s, it was common to see 5-7 year old cars with major body rot and holes through body panels, especially on Japanese cars. Corrosion resistance has been improved on everyone's vehicles over the last 20 years.

Nearly as big an issue is infrastructure damage. Salt attacks concrete and the steel in reinforced concrete and other structures, leading to premature failure of bridges, etc.

I also went to school in Michigan, they were worse on salt use than NY, after every little snow fall your tires would crunch on rock salt like it was gravel. Always figured it was a plot to help the auto industry sell more new cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive