Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2008, 08:50 PM

890 posts, read 3,699,093 times

Advertisements

Every six to eight months or so I'll rent a car for the weekend just to shake things up. My last vehicle of choice was a 2008 Toyota Highlander Sport I rented from the local Toyota dealer. I had always admired the car's exterior looks and interior features and was anxious to compare it to my 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. Apples and oranges, I know...but honestly, I was quite disappointed in the Highlander. Having owned a '93 Toyota, I can say their magic touch certainly needs a tune-up.

While quicker than my car and smoother in acceleration and off-the-line grunt, I found the Highlander's transmission a bit absent-minded. It never seemed to know what gear it wanted to be in until it was too late. I found the seats comfortable albeit a bit flat and lacking support. A major dent in Toyota's armor of build quality beyond repute was the fact that the interior rattled like a 1970s Pontiac. And this was with only 12,000 on the odo. My Santy, being five years old with 106,000 miles rattles less than the Highlander did. While the Highlander interior materials quality were generally superior to those of my Santa Fe, the general feel was that it was a bit more cobbled together. I could press on a gap or seam in the Highlander and hear it creak. Not in the Santa Fe. The Highlander's ergonomics are wonderful; everything is well marked and very clear. Knobs turn with quality and authority and everything is well thought out.

The Highlander's HVAC fan was extremely weak, even on the highest blower setting it struggled to warm the cabin and the stereo was nothing fabulous. I also found the trip computer display was never the correct brightness; too dim during the day and distractingly bright at night. The same could be said for the clock on my Santa Fe; it does not dim much at all at night.

As far as equipment goes, the Highlander satisfies and disappoints. $31K to start and no heated mirrors? What gives? Some very cool features were the glasses case-slash-conversation mirror and the hide-a-middle-seat in the second row. Open the glasses case to remove your specs and if you push it halfway closed, it latches there revealing a convex mirror allowing the driver to view the entire rear cabin. While the hiding center seat in the second row is a neat trick in the commercials, it is actually rather infuriating to operate in real life, requiring constant referrals to the instructions on the seat. I'm sure those who live with the car year-round won't have any trouble getting it down but novices will need to up their blood pressure meds.

On the road, the Highlander is a champ. It's suspension is comfortable but firm and loves to be thrown into corners. In the same course of action, the Santa Fe wallows and leans like a beached whale attempting to get out of an uncomfortable situation. Scan ahead; quick direction changes may require undergarment changes. The Highlander has fabulous forward visibility while some feel they wear the Santa Fe's angled 'gun-slit' windshield. I found the Highlander's rearward visibility leaving much to be desired, hence the great rear view camera. It has one of the crispest images I've seen and greatly aids parallel parking. In terms of low-speed maneuvers (such as parking lots), the Santa Fe trumps the Highlander which turns about as lithely as an aircraft carrier. Plan tight downtown parking jobs with foresight.

Then there is the subject of style. The Highlander is crisp and clean with great lines but certainly doesn't stand out enough to get you a spot out front at Ruth's Chris. The Santa Fe suffers from a similar ailment; styled in an era of unprecedented Hyundai quirkiness, the SF has nary a straight line on its creases and has its fans and detractors.

Overall I found the Highlander to be a nice car but certainly not something I'd be willing to pony up +$30K for when a new Santa Fe can be had for in the mid-20s and better equipped. And I would not even think of trading my SF in for one.

Highlander:

Pros -
Surely bulletproof Toyota engine and transmission, athletic handling, great headlights, very quiet on the road, fabulous ergonomics.
Cons - Whoa, there! turning radius, pedestrian styling, weak HVAC system, seats lacking lateral support, rattles out the wazoo, lacks some key features.

Santa Fe:
Pros -
Reliable engine and transmission, full menu of standard features, comfortable seating and good ergonomics, decent mid-range passing punch, engine quiet around town, vast cargo space, versatile tailgate/flip glass.
Cons - Some cheap dash plastics, rhinoceros-inspired styling, incessant road noise, engine doesn't like to be rushed, wallows in corners, high-speed avoidance maneuvers don't inspire confidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 11:58 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
Just remember that most rental vehicles are abused so i would compare a new one with a new Santa Fe to get better and more accurate results.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:17 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
We rented a Highlander in Las Vegas last November and agree with the given assessment with the exception of rattling. Ours was tight and quiet. Took it off road at Red Rock (well, what passes for OR there) and it jounced and bounced more than I expected. Noisy 4 cyl engine, but plenty of go.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:25 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
Umm Highlanders are not off road vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive