Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which new 2009 full-size truck would you choose?
Dodge Ram 1500 3 7.69%
Chevrolet Silverado 12 30.77%
GMC Sierra 6 15.38%
Ford F150 15 38.46%
Toyota Tundra 8 20.51%
Nissan Titan 0 0%
Cadillac Escalade EXT 2 5.13%
Lincoln Mark LT 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 03:24 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times

Advertisements

If you really want a WORK truck that can pull and handle abuse, get either a Ford F-250/350/450 Superduty Powerstroke Diesel OR a Dodge Ram 2500/3500 Cummins TurboDiesel. Both of these trucks are made for doing hard labor. Half ton trucks such as the F-150, Ram 1500, Tundra, and Silverado/Sierra 1500's are made for more daily-driving type of work and maybe pulling a boat or something on the weekend; they AREN'T made for pulling or hauling anything extremely heavy day in and day out. These trucks are basically an SUV with a bed instead of 3rd row seating. The Cadillac EXT isn't even a REAL truck and the Lincoln Mark LT is being discontinued in favor of an "ultra-luxury" version of the F-150 called "Platinum". I've never had any experience with the Titan so I can't comment but like the rest of its' half-ton cousins, it is basically an Armada with a truck bed.

It basically boils down to if you NEED a true truck for heavy-duty usage or if you just need a truck for basic tasks. If the former, get at least a 3/4 ton truck, don't even mess with a 1/2 ton.

Last edited by SpeedyAZ; 01-03-2009 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 09:20 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Wow, thanks for all of the replies. Well, so far, it looks like the Silverado and F-150 are well ahead in the polls, which are kinda my picks as well.

The only Dodge I would consider would be the newest model. I am not wild about the grille in the older model and the one in the current Ram is toned down. I also like the new "full-coil suspension" setup on the new Dodge. Ironic, coming from a car company that used leaf springs on the rear suspension of its cars longer than any other car company. They used leaf springs as late as 1989 on the M-Body cars (Dodge Diplomat, Plymouth Fury and Chrysler 5th Avenue) - (which have been reported to still have a cushy ride). Ford had done away with leaf springs on the its full-size cars way back in 1964 (all coil for 1965) and Chevrolet switched to all coil suspension in 1958!

I was wondering if the rear coil setup on the new Dodge provides a better ride than typical leaf-spring suspension like it does on cars. I have not yet driven the new Dodge.

I like the looks of the new 09' Silverado and the new F-150, as well as the 04-08 F150s. Around here, it seems like I can get a better price on an 08' F150 than I can the new Silverado. Our local Chevy dealers LOVE their new Silverados if you know what I mean.

Towing power/etc, is not that important to me, as I would be towing SMALL loads if any at all. I just want a base truck and all I require is automatic and long bed as far as chassis goes and interior options, I would like carpet and cloth seats option, because on base model trucks, vinyl seats and rubber floor covering is standard - I do not like that.

Thanks again for all of the replies and input!

See what I mean..... from our closest Chevy dealer....
BASE, PLAIN, 2009 Silverado.... Still nearly $20K. I can get a new 2008 Ford F150 for $13K at one of our local Ford dealers.

http://www.billgatton.com/VehicleDetails/329654233 (broken link)

Old 01-04-2009, 09:57 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
Looks like they are still the same price here......even w/the red tag event going on. Chevrolet new certified 2008 car dealer in Warren OH. Chevrolet Silverado 1500 new cars for sale online at Diane Sauer Chevrolet, a Warren new Chevrolet and certified car dealer.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:02 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Well, thats cool... the websites basically look the same. I guess they all use the same basic website.

Prices look about the same too. No wonder they are not selling any around here. $20K for a plain-jane base model 2wd regular cab truck?

Here are some of our other local Chevy dealers... same prices it seem...
http://www.championjc.com/VehicleSea...et&modelId=763

http://www.courtesykingsport.com/Veh...G=14&maxMPG=37

My aunts uncle is part owner of this dealer....
http://www.pioneerchevy.com/VehicleS...G=14&maxMPG=37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post

Old 01-05-2009, 06:30 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
The only two things I don't like about my '08 F150 is the window crank (no power windows for me!) is about 4" too low on the door (with an arm rest that's a bit short, to boot.) And the cupholders in the slide-out cupholder drawer on the center of the dash will only hold paper or styrofoam cups from those snooty coffee shops... (there are also cupholders in the front pocket of the driver & passenger doors, but I find them too low)

Old 01-05-2009, 06:58 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
The F-150 is a serious truck and IME&O is tighter and stiffer than the Chevy-GMs, which are also serious trucks of course. I had a 2006 F-150 with 6-stick, rubber floors, crank windows and it was a great truck--handled well, quiet, decent ride and just went down the road really nice. And it was as tight and solid as a brick. I should'a kept the goddam thing.

Japanese trucks don't even enter my thinking, Hell, I don't even know anyone who owns one. Maybe office workers who buy pick-ups like them, I dunno. But I don't know any boilermakers, pipefitters, ironworkers, carpenters etc. who own one.

The contractors I worked for always had Fords or Chevy-GMC trucks; I worked for scores of contractors and never did one use Dodges. Some of the old beater trucks on jobs had several hundred thousand miles on them. One contractor, Philips Getschow, used to rebuild their trucks up in their shop and had some great running old Chevy-GMC trucks with zillions of miles on them.

My 2006 F-150

Last edited by Irishtom29; 01-05-2009 at 07:11 AM..

Old 01-05-2009, 08:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
What problems did you not care for in the Dodge, Chrysler, or Jeep?
"Jeeps" are sometimes a hodgepodge of Chrysler and non-Chrysler parts, so I don't want to paint them all with the same brush.

But in general, the issues I encountered were not major, they were just so consistent across many makes, years, and models, starting at 40,000-70,000 miles. Interior uses cheaper, brittle plastic, and tends to creak and rattle. Car "jumps" when put into gear. Transmission lever feels like you could snap it right off on most models. Power steering will vibrate and shudder. Steering begins to feel like mush. Suspension develops that "bathtub-like" feel.

These sorts of problems can happen to any manufacturer's cars, I just think Chrysler products are especially ill-suited to hard drivers. You only notice these things when you compare and contrast them with products from Honda, Nissan and Toyota, who tend to retain a relatively "tight" feel even at 100,000 miles or more.

Last edited by le roi; 01-05-2009 at 08:45 AM..

Old 01-05-2009, 08:56 AM

687 posts, read 2,950,575 times
My government truck is a 08 F150 with typical government equipment....E85v8, auto,ps,pb,tilt,am/fm cd and mp3 radio. But no cruise control.
The irritating, tick me off pain in the butt thing about the truck is the shoulder belt.
Being a plainjain work model, the seat belt is attached to the top of the seat, not adjustable for height of driver and cuts into your shoulder. Hate that.
Still take my Tundra.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
The F-150 is a classic truck. Powerful, great looking (inside and out), nicely priced, fairly reliable for the most part. The 09 is phenomonal from what Ive read. The Tundra is also nice, but I still think its a bit small, but MUCH better than the lame T100 Toyota offered for awhile. The Titan is powerful, but feels cheap inside. The Silverado would be my 2nd choice. As ugly as it is, it gets the job done well.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I've owned both Cghevy and Ford trucks for teh last 30 years. Overall I liked the Chevy trucks beeter because they drive better without constant steering correction ;get better milage and are just more relaible.But like many thigns it really depends on the price many times and who is dealing. The fords tend to have more expeensive engine problems aftera few years and the brake rotors are junk IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive