U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever tipped your auto salesperson or given them a gift for great service?
Yes 6 4.05%
No 142 95.95%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2009, 10:06 AM

17,031 posts, read 27,970,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
We bought two cars from our car salesperson in the past 2 weeks. He did a great job helping us find my wife's vehicle. The people in the dealership are all so nice, too.

Anyways, I feel like giving our salesperson a tip or a gift of some sort. Is that a common practice? Have you ever given you auto salesperson a tip or gift?

No, usually they should give you something, you just got them a large commission.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 10:09 AM

4,697 posts, read 5,782,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The best "tip" that I have ever given to a great salesperson was to send more business their way.
I agree, and have done the same thing.

When I found a Toyota salesman who gave me a good deal, applied absolutely no pressure, and was very professional in his knowledge of the vehicle, I bought the vehicle and recommended him to others. I also returned to that same salesman two more times over the years, had the same excellent experience, and bought a new vehicle each time.

And one of my very best car-buying experiences - getting an '86 Dodge - involved a similar experience with another no-pressure kind of salesperson. When I explained that I had been pre-approved by my credit union, and that I would be paying for the vehicle via a credit union loan over ... I think it was 4 years ... and that I didn't care what the overall price of the vehicle was, but if she could work out a deal so my monthly payment was no more than X dollars (I forget the exact amount), she didn't bat an eye. It turned out to be a very good deal .... AND, when we went to pick up the car, she had a bottle of champagne waiting for my wife and me.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:28 PM

2,671 posts, read 10,801,754 times
I bought him a gift pack of steaks. I figure he can grill out with his daughter.

Omaha Steaks Special Offer

I should have ordered some for myself, too....

I will refer anyone who is interested in purchasing a vehicle to him and his dealership, too.

Last edited by titaniummd; 02-01-2009 at 02:38 PM..

Old 02-01-2009, 05:35 PM

9,496 posts, read 27,951,719 times
Quote:
We bought two cars from our car salesperson in the past 2 weeks. He did a great job helping us find my wife's vehicle. The people in the dealership are all so nice, too.

Anyways, I feel like giving our salesperson a tip or a gift of some sort. Is that a common practice? Have you ever given you auto salesperson a tip or gift?
I've never "tipped" a Dealer Salesperson but I have dropped off a gift or two to my Service Writer in the Service Department.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:46 PM

4,948 posts, read 17,157,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I've never "tipped" a Dealer Salesperson but I have dropped off a gift or two to my Service Writer in the Service Department.
I gave my salesperson a nice bottle of wine, and wrote to the company and dealership about the pleasant
experience I had with him. He went above and beyond what others have done. Maybe a mall gift card would do, or see what he enjoys. Frankly,
they work hard, and a thank-you is great! I agree also if you have a great service advisor, which I just did find I also will do a gift for all the real help
he has given. Sure it is the job, but good care is a real find now. Where I did live b4 everyone bought cars from one dealership because of the
sevice advisor, he just was super, he also had people who would cook for him when he had to work late! He just went way above a job! If we had problems, he would go to bat for us. I also got the survey from the car company and gave all the 5 which is the Best, and did give other business.

Last edited by maggiekate; 02-01-2009 at 06:03 PM..

Old 02-01-2009, 09:16 PM

140 posts, read 801,698 times
After working in auto dealerships for 30 yrs (Not In Sales) and am now unemployed because of the dealer closing. I can say not all dealerships pay their salesmen well. The dealer I worked at 3 yrs ago (that went out of business last week) was a high pressure dealer ...the exec management was a sell ..sell ..sell....whatever it took type of dealer. But on New cars the salesperson only made $75. with most salespeople selling 10 new cars a month. Now they did make a % of the profit of used cars less any chargebacks or add on's the customer wanted. Now the last 2 that I worked for were small to med size dealers and neither was very profitable. That is the reason they are no longer in business. The exec management were the ones that made the big $$.
Back to the OP question, the salespeople I know never really got a $$ tip but more likely a plate of cookies at xmas etc.
Myself working as a parts manager I have recieved a few tips ($2-3 usually)over the yrs for helping someone carry something to their car or installing a part. But I have turned down as many tips over the yrs too. Accepting the tip depended on the persons demeanor.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:35 AM

17,835 posts, read 30,696,604 times
Quote:
I bought him a gift pack of steaks. I figure he can grill out with his daughter.

Omaha Steaks Special Offer
That was a very nice thing to do .

I am going to be taking our car in for a oil change this week I bet your name will be mentioned !!!

Old 02-02-2009, 06:43 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,275,773 times
Tipped a car salesman? HELL no. They already make a fat commission off me, why the heck would I give them any extra?

Old 02-02-2009, 07:24 AM

9,807 posts, read 14,202,442 times
-----"We bought two cars from our cars salesperson in the past two weeks"-------

you should be expecting gifts , tips, dinner certificates, etc from him.

In these tough economic times, any customer who buys 2 vehicles from the same salesperson in 2 weeks should recieve some token of appreciation from the salesman.

The phrase------"putting the cart before the horse"-------came to mind when I read about tipping car salesmen.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:35 AM

10,091 posts, read 38,460,912 times
We have never tipped or gifted to a car salesman. I have spread the word (the good and the bad) of various salesmen. We have also requested certain salesmen when going back to purchase or second (or third) car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive