U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Have you ever tipped your auto salesperson or given them a gift for great service?
Yes 6 5.50%
No 103 94.50%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:45 AM

2,621 posts, read 7,605,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Don't the sales people usually give you a present (champagne, etc) when you buy a car?

If you think this guy was/is awesome, definitely write a letter on his behalf.

I never think that tipping is wrong. Even if it's not conventional. Sometimes someone at work just does something super awesome, so I get them a gift card to Starbucks or a restuarant or something. Just to express admiration and thanks. You can't go wrong.
I guess I should have asked the question:

Have you ever given a gift of appreciation to your salesperson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:57 AM

8,640 posts, read 14,824,619 times
I worked as receptionist for a car dealership for about 2 years. I never heard of any of the sales people receiving a gift or tip from the customer. The only exception to that (of which I was aware) was one time some customers did give a restaurant gift certificate to the sales manager who went out of his way to help them with something.

If for some reason your salesperson went "above & beyond" or were exceptionally kind and you wanted to do so, a gift might be in order. Generally, since sales staff for cars are primarily on commission, it was my experience, at least, that the guys ...and gals were generally just ecstatically happy that you bought a car from them (especially in leaner times!) Bottom line, it's certainly not expected, but if the salesperson really went out of their way, I'm sure it would be appreciated. (And as stan suggested, a letter of appreciation sent to the sales manager and general sales manager praising them would also be a real boon to them! In the long run, this gesture would probably benefit them the most.)

And yes, a car salesperson's income can be feast or famine. They can do very well in good times...but in leaner, not so much.

Last edited by kaykay; 02-03-2009 at 10:08 AM..

Old 02-03-2009, 10:18 AM

366 posts, read 798,890 times
Its funny that you guys come in and want a car for below invoice, and still think we make a "fat commission." Well folks, its a $100 flat "mini" before tax, so its really like $70 bucks. The average salesman sells 8-10 cars a month.
Oh, and I have been tipped once, because I drove 5 hours away to pick up a specific car for the lady.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 AM

2,621 posts, read 7,605,169 times
When my friend worked for Chrysler, he made $50 on "minimum deals". I always thought that these guys made a percentage of the sale of the vehicle, like from Real Estate. I would think people may be better off working for 'no haggle dealerships' and having a salesperson working as a consultant.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:26 PM

3,651 posts, read 5,653,369 times
Even if I didn't hate tipping in general - and I do - no offense but tipping a car salesman is one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever heard. What's next, tip your doctor after a checkup?

Old 02-03-2009, 12:29 PM

3,269 posts, read 4,279,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
What's next, tip your doctor after a checkup?
depends on how many times one is asked to cough...........

Old 02-03-2009, 12:33 PM

3,651 posts, read 5,653,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
depends on how many times one is asked to cough...........
That won't get a tip - but it might get a punch in the nose. unless it's a hot female doctor

Old 02-03-2009, 06:01 PM

8,837 posts, read 23,396,227 times
All I can say, TitaniumMD, is that you had a very unusually good buying experience. Good on ya, I guess!

I have never had such a good dealership buying experience, myself, and more and more tend towards buying older rigs from current owners rather than buy late model. There will be old water-cooled VW cars, old Toyotas, Nissans, Subarus, 1960s American Iron, etc. for me to buy probably till I am too old to drive anyway.

But considering your unusually good treatment, I think you did the right thing.

These guys will certainly remember you and should go way out of their way to treat you like a prince any time you show up at their dealership. At least if they have any sense they will!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:25 PM

5,010 posts, read 8,114,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
When my friend worked for Chrysler, he made $50 on "minimum deals". I always thought that these guys made a percentage of the sale of the vehicle, like from Real Estate. I would think people may be better off working for 'no haggle dealerships' and having a salesperson working as a consultant.

We make a percentage of the profit on the deal, not off whatever the car sells for.

And no, working at a "no haggle" dealership sucks. It's usually an hourly rate, and it's not much more than you make working at Best Buy or something like that.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:32 PM

9,807 posts, read 6,513,889 times
------"These guys will certainly remember you and go out of their way to treat you like a prince anytime you show up at their dealership"

In these tough economic times, I would advise car salesmen to treat everyone who shows up to buy a car --"as a prince"

"At least if they had any sense they will" !

more like-------if they want to remain employed--------they better treat every customer "as a prince"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive