Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever tipped your auto salesperson or given them a gift for great service?
Yes 6 4.05%
No 142 95.95%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 02:47 PM

16,659 posts, read 17,424,883 times

Advertisements

I have never tipped a car salesman until last month.

I bought a car from a local dealership and the salesman I was assigned was new to the company.

Without going into details we secured a good deal and he ironed out some issues with other parts of the dealership and I felt he did a particularly good job.

As a result I bought he a small gift which related to a joke we'd been talking about and he was very grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 09:41 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
I've never seen a country as tip crazy as the USA. Here's a tip ID give some salesmen in CentralFlorida. Get another job your not cut out to sell cars, or anything for that matter. These people make commissions. Why would anyone tip them?

Old 04-13-2016, 10:48 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,236,287 times
Most Salesmen are the scum of the earth. Even the ones who aren't are trying to sell you a car for the most money possible. None are trying to get you a good deal- they may agree to one to make the sale.
Tipping them is beyond hilarious and foolish.

What's next tip your real estate agent for taking a fat commission?

Old 04-14-2016, 04:55 PM

17,282 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Ok......I got one for you! I ordered a truck from an Irish guy that was truly a die hard car guy but was selling Chevy's at the time. He flat out told me he would not be there when my new Silverado came in (he was leaving shortly). Got a great deal on the truck and it arrived 8 weeks later, my salesman was long gone.

The day I ordered the truck we took a new Camaro Z28 with the LT1 motor for a beat ride. We abused that car like a rental car and had a blast! He moved to a different dealer and I bought 2 cars from him there. He moved back to Ireland and I attended the wedding! He is still a good friend over 20 years later! He switched careers and is making crazy money so his only car stories now are about the new BMW's he is buying!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:58 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
The "tip" is the commission they earn for selling you the car. If you want to tell the Salesperson how much you appreciate them...send more business their way or review the dealership positively on Yelp.

Yes, I do tip good mechanics.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:35 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,988,252 times
If you are really happy with your car salesperson, the best tip in the world is to pass on referral business to him or her. If you just bought a Chevy and your next door neighbor is looking to buy a Chevy, recommend your neighbor talk to the same salesperson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive