Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever tipped your auto salesperson or given them a gift for great service?
Yes 6 4.05%
No 142 95.95%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:27 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,730,574 times

Advertisements

We bought two cars from our car salesperson in the past 2 weeks. He did a great job helping us find my wife's vehicle. The people in the dealership are all so nice, too.

Anyways, I feel like giving our salesperson a tip or a gift of some sort. Is that a common practice? Have you ever given you auto salesperson a tip or gift?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 07:44 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,309,730 times
I have never heard of anyone doing that. I never considered it.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:50 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,943,221 times
I figure they made the deal and should be thankful to the buyer.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:54 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
The best "tip" that I have ever given to a great salesperson was to send more business their way. Referrals are the lifeblood of a good salesperson, and can mean more than a gift to their bottom line. However, if you want to bring them something personal, cookies or brownies, for example, I am sure that would be welcome.

Interestingly, I will tend to bring cookies/cake, etc. to mechanics who do an awesome job, but the commissioned salespeople, I will refer business thier way. I also write letters of testimonial for their employee file, which can be beneficial to them in the long run as well.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
I agree;write the dealership a letter teling that he made the buy a good experience.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:49 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,601,809 times
The salesman makes plenty on the commission.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:54 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,580,860 times
Well never heard of such a thing, but the way the economy is, maybe if you bought it under MSRP you could give him a gift.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,673,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
We bought two cars from our car salesperson in the past 2 weeks. He did a great job helping us find my wife's vehicle. The people in the dealership are all so nice, too.

Anyways, I feel like giving our salesperson a tip or a gift of some sort. Is that a common practice? Have you ever given you auto salesperson a tip or gift?
Why not? It's not expected, but if you got outstanding service, what could it hurt?

I'm of the opinion that anything that places me in a different league from "everyone else", is money well spent--whether it cost money, or whether it was simply a little bit of time. If it's buying a car, eating out, or a holiday card with something unexpected to my favorite bartender, it works. When I want to buy a car, I call the same guy, and I get exactly what I want, for a realistic but very low price. Next time I want my drink made a special way, I get it. I don't usually wait to sit down in some of the busiest places in Scottsdale for this very reason. We're talking relationship building 101. And it's the thought that counts, not so much the value of the gift. (Translation: You don't have to produce a stack of $100 bills just to get someone's attention).

What I'm saying is, why not say thanks for the good service that you felt was deserving of recognition, particularly if you had a few transactions recently with the same person. No harm can come from this. No matter if you spend a few dollars on a gift, or spend an hour crafting a nice letter to the general manager of the dealership, any work or expense you incur should--and will--be mutually beneficial to you and the person receiving it. You will be remembered, the salesperson will be remembered by you, others, or the dealership management (or all three!). These are good places to be for both you and the salesperson.

And I fully agree, send more business to them... and make sure that they know, you sent it. Because that, is how business works.

Last edited by 43north87west; 01-10-2009 at 11:29 PM..

Old 01-11-2009, 05:57 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,730,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Why not? It's not expected, but if you got outstanding service, what could it hurt?

I'm of the opinion that anything that places me in a different league from "everyone else", is money well spent--whether it cost money, or whether it was simply a little bit of time. If it's buying a car, eating out, or a holiday card with something unexpected to my favorite bartender, it works. When I want to buy a car, I call the same guy, and I get exactly what I want, for a realistic but very low price. Next time I want my drink made a special way, I get it. I don't usually wait to sit down in some of the busiest places in Scottsdale for this very reason. We're talking relationship building 101. And it's the thought that counts, not so much the value of the gift. (Translation: You don't have to produce a stack of $100 bills just to get someone's attention).

What I'm saying is, why not say thanks for the good service that you felt was deserving of recognition, particularly if you had a few transactions recently with the same person. No harm can come from this. No matter if you spend a few dollars on a gift, or spend an hour crafting a nice letter to the general manager of the dealership, any work or expense you incur should--and will--be mutually beneficial to you and the person receiving it. You will be remembered, the salesperson will be remembered by you, others, or the dealership management (or all three!). These are good places to be for both you and the salesperson.

And I fully agree, send more business to them... and make sure that they know, you sent it. Because that, is how business works.
Thanks that sounds like a great perspective. I consider myself a big tipper when it comes to getting great service from a restaurant. I have also tipped very low when service was below standard ($0.53) = 1.13% of the bill - you could buy a Coke back then (You know the phrase "Have a Coke and a Smile"? - that jerk was not smiling).

You may have already seen my post on dealing with a salesperson from Dealership X who said something misleading which dropped his credibility, in my opinion. Even when the 'sticker' stated something contrary.

My wife was looking for a specific vehicle at a low price (BMW convertible, low miles, etc). I used Vehix but it is hard to determine how to check out a car from out of state (the ones I liked were in GA, AL and NC).

When we asked our salesperson from Dealership Y to search for one, he found one at an auction, had them check it out. They got the Carfax report and their mechanics checked it out, also. We saw the car and drove it, and it really exceeded our expectations - and the price was what he promised (even though its market price is a lot higher ). There were a lot of people looking at the car, as it was just sitting there. He was always giving us updates on what was out there by email and I was frequently contacting him by email and cell phone. I know the dealers make money or they wouldn't do it; however, I figure I could at least get him a gift card for dinner or something for the service.

In retrospect, I should have tipped my other car salesman in Maryland, too. Not only did I save money from the deal but I saved money from driving a hybrid.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:50 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
...write the dealership a letter...
If the salesman made you a return customer, he did his job well. It's not personal. But, dealers now are sweating the economy and expect the pink slip any day. A letter in their file would be a trophy for them, and may mean the difference of their employment in their competitive field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive