Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 06:06 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times

Advertisements

Premier Paint Protection II

Anyone use this type of protection on their vehicle?

Quote:
Q.Why do I need a sealant on my car when it already has a
clear coat?

A. Vehicle's factory clear coat is paint without pigment. Just like paint, the clear coat is prone to fading, oxidation and environmental hazards and needs to be protected.

Q. Isn't paint and interior covered under the manufacturer's warranty?

A. Only manufacturer defects are covered by the manufacturer's warranty. The manufacturer clearly states that they will not be held responsible for damage resulting from environmental or atmospheric conditions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 12:01 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Snake oil...

Quote:
Q.Why do I need a sealant on my car when it already has a
clear coat?

A. Vehicle's factory clear coat is paint without pigment. Just like paint, the clear coat is prone to fading, oxidation and environmental hazards and needs to be protected.
Yeah it sucks when clear coatings and materials fade doesn't it? I would like to meet the moron who came up with that FAQ especially that Q&A.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:08 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Bunch of BS.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:30 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Get a good grade of wax, wax the car. McGuire's is good, P21S products are always good, Griot's Garage is good but a bit spendy, Google "Car Care Specialties", they have all sorts of waxes and etc.

If your dealer is trying to sell you this BS, maybe you want to find another dealer for service work already...

Being in Florida, to the extent its practical, try to keep the car in the shade and out of the mid-day sun, from a UV protection standpoint.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:34 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Reminds me of that old Ziebart crap, it was a rip-off too.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:06 PM

I didn't pay for it. It came with the cars.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:24 PM

I think you did pay for it, somehow, it was rolled into the cost of the car - and if I understand the promotional literature in the link, to maintain some sort of "warrenty" on your paint, you have to have it re-treated periodically.

Maybe not. Maybe you got it for free, maybe they will re-treat you periodically for free if you do enough business with them.

But it's like "free lunch with beer" - the price of the lunch is figured into the price of the beer...

Old 01-13-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I think you did pay for it, somehow, it was rolled into the cost of the car - and if I understand the promotional literature in the link, to maintain some sort of "warrenty" on your paint, you have to have it re-treated periodically.

Maybe not. Maybe you got it for free, maybe they will re-treat you periodically for free if you do enough business with them.

But it's like "free lunch with beer" - the price of the lunch is figured into the price of the beer...
No, they gave me a contract for free coverage for the next five years on two cars. They sold the New car over $2400 under invoice (over $8k under sticker) and the used car $6-8k under KBB.

The price was agreed upon long before they 'added' the coverage. If it is a hidden cost, I don't know where it came from but I am happy with the deal.

--
Anyways, the reason I posted this question was what is the real long term benefit?

Old 01-13-2009, 05:00 PM

The long-term benefit, if any, is probably similar to keeping the car waxed with something like Meguiar's wax.

Beats me why they would throw this in *after* you arrived at a price. Maybe just a gimmick to get you to bring the car in so they can "find" other work it "needs".

And, to be fair to these guys, if you don't bend your own wrenches, *somebody* has to take care of maintenance.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The long-term benefit, if any, is probably similar to keeping the car waxed with something like Meguiar's wax.

Beats me why they would throw this in *after* you arrived at a price. Maybe just a gimmick to get you to bring the car in so they can "find" other work it "needs".

And, to be fair to these guys, if you don't bend your own wrenches, *somebody* has to take care of maintenance.
Actually, the Auto Butler Agreement lets me take it to any location to re-treat it - so it is not tied to that specific dealership.

Maybe I was given it since I bought both cars in cash. I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive