U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-17-2009, 02:21 AM
 
Location: Eastern Missouri
3,021 posts, read 2,693,376 times
Reputation: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats "easy"?

Easier still is to find a used Civic h/b, yank the motor and put in the Prelude's H22, then buy a turbo kit for it. Get some proper tires and VOILA! Cheap 12 sec speed, wrapped in a total sleeper package.


A whole lot easier and cheaper than a turbo'ed wrong wheel drive engine change ! I've built a few of those 4 cyl turbo engines for kids with more money than sense too. Then took them for a ride in that "outdated' V8 powered ride. not one would ever try to line 'em up with me. Remember, changing engines in the older cars is half the work of changing the little 4 cylinders in wwd cars! And my combo mentioned above is one very easy to do build up with out even gettign into the bottomend of the engines. The turbo'ed 4 cylinder will need alot of upgrades in the bottom end to stay together!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2009, 03:52 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
860 posts, read 1,796,414 times
Reputation: 633
I was going to add a supercharger until I talked to a guy who is familiar with this engine/transmission and he said it will make mincemeat out of the tranny.

Everything I've done is cosmetic or functional:

- New horns
- Chrome gauge rings
- Functional rear fog lights
- Brighter front fog lights
- Hyundai valve stem caps

And some other stuff...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 07:59 PM
 
Location: AZ
18,857 posts, read 49,263,556 times
Reputation: 7676
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
A whole lot easier and cheaper than a turbo'ed wrong wheel drive engine change ! I've built a few of those 4 cyl turbo engines for kids with more money than sense too. Then took them for a ride in that "outdated' V8 powered ride. not one would ever try to line 'em up with me. Remember, changing engines in the older cars is half the work of changing the little 4 cylinders in wwd cars! And my combo mentioned above is one very easy to do build up with out even gettign into the bottomend of the engines. The turbo'ed 4 cylinder will need alot of upgrades in the bottom end to stay together!
Sure, turbocharging a stock Civic EX's 1.6L wont win any races against most muscle cars, but turboing a Prelude-engined, turbocharged Civic h/b should have no problem beating most muscle cars. Ive seen people drop in just the Prelude engine w/o turbo and run low-to-mid 13s right out the box. Now, you were saying?

And changing the engines in FWD (not "wwd") cars can be SUPER easy, depending on the models.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Incognito
6,987 posts, read 12,472,784 times
Reputation: 5265
Ok, so I decided just to upgrade the lighting and suspension ONLY. Besides I am only keeping for a year and a half and trade it for a Subaru.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Eastern Missouri
3,021 posts, read 2,693,376 times
Reputation: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sure, turbocharging a stock Civic EX's 1.6L wont win any races against most muscle cars, but turboing a Prelude-engined, turbocharged Civic h/b should have no problem beating most muscle cars. Ive seen people drop in just the Prelude engine w/o turbo and run low-to-mid 13s right out the box. Now, you were saying?

And changing the engines in FWD (not "wwd") cars can be SUPER easy, depending on the models.

Actuly, real cars lift the front wheels, not depend on them to move the car! So yes, the hondas are wrong wheel drive= (wwd ) when they are front wheel drive. I'd like to see that mid to low 13 second civic with just droping in the prelude engine! It has to be worked to run sub 14's at all. But just think, when the car is only 1900lbs, it don't take much to move it! But they are still more expensive than the V8 cars to build.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2009, 08:33 AM
 
Location: So. of Rosarito, Baja, Mexico
5,124 posts, read 9,629,419 times
Reputation: 3797
You guys are talking about TURBOS.
How much do you pay for a TURBO setup and how many lbs of BOOST do you get after installation and at what RPM do you get the BOOST?
Steve
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2009, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Incognito
6,987 posts, read 12,472,784 times
Reputation: 5265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
You guys are talking about TURBOS.
How much do you pay for a TURBO setup and how many lbs of BOOST do you get after installation and at what RPM do you get the BOOST?
Steve
On a standard set up usually between $3500 to $4500, you probably get about 5 to 6 lbs maybe a little more and the boost/rpm set up depends on the tunning you get and who does it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2009, 10:34 PM
 
Location: So. of Rosarito, Baja, Mexico
5,124 posts, read 9,629,419 times
Reputation: 3797
Only 5-6 lbs of boost!!!! thats what 18 wheelers get going thru the gears with a waste gate. Shoot ...thats not worth the money of 3-4 grand on a street car.

I think you guys need to read up a litttle more about installing a TURBO. You apparently do not have the knowledge (no offense intended).

I have a custom TURBO unit I installed on a 1966 VW bug that puts out 200 HP with up to 15 LBS of BOOST before I back off on the throttle. I have the same brand "RAJAY" as some 18 wheelers but mine is a smaller model.

The initial installation gave me boost starting at 3 in of vacuum at 3600 RPM but I later made a part change to bring boost on at 2800 RPM.

Don't want to sound snooty it's just that I'm a VW mechanic of 28 yrs now retired and want to learn more regarding V8 usage compared to my setup. Mine is over 15 yrs old and at the time cost me 2K for the parts and of course my own labor. I kinda thought that you guys being younger then me might have some newer ideas.

Todays auto assembly line turbo units are only made to give about 5LBS of boost so people do not blow up the engines. There are some limited mods that can be done with the new cars today without bending the smog rules.

I would recommend buying a book on TURBOS and reading up on the functions...applications...results they give etc. Thats what I did. How many know what RPM the turbo runs at on BOOST? What part changes can you make to make it stronger? I call it R & D and that is what I did.

Hey...you guys sound okay and knowledged on the innerds of the V8 which is great. I started working on 4 bangers as a kid in my dads shop in the late 30's and early 40's so it's in my blood.

NOS is great and I used it in my NHRA legal VW Dragster in the 1/4 mile. Trouble is the bottom end takes it's toll. At the same time I had my turbo set up in a 70 Bug. Keep selling the cars but keep the turbo engine which I blueprinted and balanced thru out. Later installed it in a kit car and ran it at old OCIR track. I had the distinction of having the 3rd VW rurbo those days.

Again hope to have good vibes from you guys and maybe can help a wee bit some day. Steve

Sorry to miss the part about 5-6 LBS of Boost depending on the tuning which has "ABSOLUTELY NO HELP" it's wrong guys.

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 01-18-2009 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: Missed answer to final statement.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2009, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Denver
1,345 posts, read 3,630,974 times
Reputation: 692
Nm
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2009, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Eastern Missouri
3,021 posts, read 2,693,376 times
Reputation: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Only 5-6 lbs of boost!!!! thats what 18 wheelers get going thru the gears with a waste gate. Shoot ...thats not worth the money of 3-4 grand on a street car.

I think you guys need to read up a litttle more about installing a TURBO. You apparently do not have the knowledge (no offense intended).

I have a custom TURBO unit I installed on a 1966 VW bug that puts out 200 HP with up to 15 LBS of BOOST before I back off on the throttle. I have the same brand "RAJAY" as some 18 wheelers but mine is a smaller model.

The initial installation gave me boost starting at 3 in of vacuum at 3600 RPM but I later made a part change to bring boost on at 2800 RPM.

Don't want to sound snooty it's just that I'm a VW mechanic of 28 yrs now retired and want to learn more regarding V8 usage compared to my setup. Mine is over 15 yrs old and at the time cost me 2K for the parts and of course my own labor. I kinda thought that you guys being younger then me might have some newer ideas.

Todays auto assembly line turbo units are only made to give about 5LBS of boost so people do not blow up the engines. There are some limited mods that can be done with the new cars today without bending the smog rules.

I would recommend buying a book on TURBOS and reading up on the functions...applications...results they give etc. Thats what I did. How many know what RPM the turbo runs at on BOOST? What part changes can you make to make it stronger? I call it R & D and that is what I did.

Hey...you guys sound okay and knowledged on the innerds of the V8 which is great. I started working on 4 bangers as a kid in my dads shop in the late 30's and early 40's so it's in my blood.

NOS is great and I used it in my NHRA legal VW Dragster in the 1/4 mile. Trouble is the bottom end takes it's toll. At the same time I had my turbo set up in a 70 Bug. Keep selling the cars but keep the turbo engine which I blueprinted and balanced thru out. Later installed it in a kit car and ran it at old OCIR track. I had the distinction of having the 3rd VW rurbo those days.

Again hope to have good vibes from you guys and maybe can help a wee bit some day. Steve

Sorry to miss the part about 5-6 LBS of Boost depending on the tuning which has "ABSOLUTELY NO HELP" it's wrong guys.

Sounds like you have had alot of fun over the years. My turbo's for my new dragcar wasn't 2000 or even 2500 bucks. They are (the first ones for the car) 68mm units. After some initial chassis tuning and licensing runs, then I'll step up to the 90mm units, which will deliever about 2500 hp to the slicks. Oh, on the amount of boost, 5-7 lbs isn't starting yet! Mine will be at a min. in the 24-27 lb. range in pumpgas street crusing mode.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top