U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2009, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,656 posts, read 4,520,245 times
Reputation: 1458
Default De-icing windshield fluid?

can anyone recommend a good de-icing brand of windshield washer fluid? do they work?
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2009, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
33,394 posts, read 28,007,444 times
Reputation: 15343
If it gets so cold that windshield wiper fluid freezes that is the least of your problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,656 posts, read 4,520,245 times
Reputation: 1458
the fluid isn't freezing, I'm taking about one that melts ice on your windshield. but thanks anyway,


Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If it gets so cold that windshield wiper fluid freezes that is the least of your problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 11:50 AM
 
2,217 posts, read 407,189 times
Reputation: 371
I tried a couple different brands of that stuff back when we lived in the frozen Tundra (Minnesota). Truth is, it simply didn't work very well.

Just use "Below Zero" washer fluid - it's usually orange, yellow or purple instead of blue. Unlike the blue stuff, it won't freeze if it gets below zero.


Start your car, let it warm up while scraping the frost/ice/snow off your windows. That ice-melting stuff simply won't make up for that.


Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
8,785 posts, read 22,159,751 times
Reputation: 4734
I like the Prestone winter fluid - yellow color usually. You can buy little pint bottles of alcohol to add to it when it gets really cold. The Prestone has a "Rain-X" like additive in it, helps create a slick surface.

Prestone also makes a spray you put on the night before, that helps reduce the ability of the frost to stick to the glass.

The Prestone fluid works OK down to, something like 20F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Southwest Nebraska
1,297 posts, read 2,488,514 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I like the Prestone winter fluid - yellow color usually. You can buy little pint bottles of alcohol to add to it when it gets really cold. The Prestone has a "Rain-X" like additive in it, helps create a slick surface.

Prestone also makes a spray you put on the night before, that helps reduce the ability of the frost to stick to the glass.

The Prestone fluid works OK down to, something like 20F.
This is what I was going to say also but I use that ice melter in a spray can, it says DE-Icer I think and you just spray on windshield and turn wipers on. When I lived in Indianapolis, IN I used this all the time and loved it. It is not very expensive either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,656 posts, read 4,520,245 times
Reputation: 1458
thanks! I mean as I'm driving along, my car will already have been warmed up/scraped, but sometimes ice can build up again as you're driving along.

thanks for the tips. I'll look for it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
I tried a couple different brands of that stuff back when we lived in the frozen Tundra (Minnesota). Truth is, it simply didn't work very well.

Just use "Below Zero" washer fluid - it's usually orange, yellow or purple instead of blue. Unlike the blue stuff, it won't freeze if it gets below zero.


Start your car, let it warm up while scraping the frost/ice/snow off your windows. That ice-melting stuff simply won't make up for that.


Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,656 posts, read 4,520,245 times
Reputation: 1458
oh! I forgot about that stuff! that will come in handy, too! thank you! everything I can have to prepare myself!! I'm going on a drive next week and may need it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
This is what I was going to say also but I use that ice melter in a spray can, it says DE-Icer I think and you just spray on windshield and turn wipers on. When I lived in Indianapolis, IN I used this all the time and loved it. It is not very expensive either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,656 posts, read 4,520,245 times
Reputation: 1458
awesom tip! thank you!! you mean just regular rubbing alcohol I can add to the reservior?


Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I like the Prestone winter fluid - yellow color usually. You can buy little pint bottles of alcohol to add to it when it gets really cold. The Prestone has a "Rain-X" like additive in it, helps create a slick surface.

Prestone also makes a spray you put on the night before, that helps reduce the ability of the frost to stick to the glass.

The Prestone fluid works OK down to, something like 20F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 12:27 PM
 
Location: IL
333 posts, read 568,598 times
Reputation: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
awesom tip! thank you!! you mean just regular rubbing alcohol I can add to the reservior?
I'd like to know too! I added - without checking the dumb bottle - wiper fluid that freezes below 32 degrees!

It is COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD here in Chicago! I need to fix it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top