Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:47 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times

Advertisements

I am currently driving a 2000 Camry that has about 160,000 miles on it. I never had any problems with it, and I keep it car tuned-up. But soon, I will need to buy another car. I'm either thinking about buying another Camry or the new redesigned Malibu. I love its new stylish look, and it appears to be a well made car too. Any suggestions from current drivers of the Chevy Malibu?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 07:54 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
the new malibu is unproven while the camry is since you have put 160k miles on yours. I'd get the camry.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
the new malibu is unproven while the camry is since you have put 160k miles on yours. I'd get the camry.
Thanks

Old 01-19-2009, 08:01 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
I think that Toyota is losing the good build factor. It seems as though the older Yota's ran better and stood the test of time. I think Toyota is starting to skimp because everyone assumes they're reliable now. I'd check out the Malibu.

I'd usually say the Yota but this time I have to say Malibu.

Do you like Nissan Maxima's?

Old 01-19-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I think that Toyota is losing the good build factor. It seems as though the older Yota's ran better and stood the test of time. I think Toyota is starting to skimp because everyone assumes they're reliable now. I'd check out the Malibu.

I'd usually say the Yota but this time I have to say Malibu.

Do you like Nissan Maxima's?
You make a good point man. I was thinking the same thing about the newer Toyotas, even though they seem to have some niceer features than my year. I have driven the 2007 Camry and was blow away by how much room the cabin has and yet still selling for the same price as I bought my 2000.

I dont like Nissans. But I will test drive the 2009 Malibu and Camry just to see how both cars handle. I am sure Chevy wanted to put a big dent in Toyota's sales, and I never liked any Chevy cars until they redesigned the Malibu.

So in a sense, I want to buy American just to support our automakers. But if the car is crappy, then I will stick with Toyota who has a proven reputation with me at least.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:09 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I am currently driving a 2000 Camry that has about 160,000 miles on it. I never had any problems with it, and I keep it car tuned-up. But soon, I will need to buy another car. I'm either thinking about buying another Camry or the new redesigned Malibu. I love its new stylish look, and it appears to be a well made car too. Any suggestions from current drivers of the Chevy Malibu?
Consumer Reports rated the 6 cylinder Toyota Camry's as unreliable.

I had the Toyota Camry Hybrid (2007) which ran beautifully. It is the 50th Anniversary Edition and is loaded. The best things I like about it are the keyless entry, push button start and gas mileage.

The Malibu is unproven so I would go against that decision.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Consumer Reports rated the 6 cylinder Toyota Camry's as unreliable.

I had the Toyota Camry Hybrid (2007) which ran beautifully. It is the 50th Anniversary Edition and is loaded. The best things I like about it are the keyless entry, push button start and gas mileage.

The Malibu is unproven so I would go against that decision.
Thanks for the report. I forgot about reading them, and I didn't expect these fast responses. But I do appreciate your post.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:34 PM

9,522 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I did own a 2002 Malibu. I had nothing but trouble with it. It needed major repair work constantly. The first thing was brakes which were on a recall. It then needed power steering replacement and front end work all of this before it had 18000 miles on it. I got rid of it in 1 1/2 years. I work for a rental car agency and we have the new Malibu's. I have to say the new Malibu's are much better made than the previous years. It is well designed car that handles and rides very smoothly. It has been getting good reviews from the consumer reports and I have to agree with them. If I was in the market for a new car, I think even after my bad experience with the 2002 one, I might be persuaded with the new Malibu.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:40 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Chevy Malibu was chosen as car of the year in 2008, while Camry is starting to gather growing criticism for style and build quality. Still, Toyota has an excellent reputation, and there's the go with what you know factor. The last Malibus had good reliability and last just as long as Camrys, fwiw.

Any GM made before 2004 I would run away from, but since the Lutz era of quality design and engineering versus accountant design that ruined GM in the years previous (imo of course), GM has started putting out some stellar cars. The number is small but growing, but the new Malibu, and G8 are award-winning cars that the automotive press loves. NPR had a series of articles talking about American cars from the Detroit Auto show last week, and the bottom line is GM cars suffer from public perception, not quality.

I have plenty of friends with American cars and Japanese cars like Camrys, and the reality is each have their issues over time - no one I know has had a trouble free Camry, and some stuff was major, including seized engines. Of course, anecdotal evidence of individuals' experiences is pretty worthless to you - look at the hard data - Consumer Reports just did a write up on the Malibu last month or abouts, and you can read all the online auto-writers' reports from sites like Edmund's, Car and Driver, etc.

In the end, if I were you, I'd go sit in both, maybe drive them, look at what matters to you in terms of comfort, drivability, safety features, etc. Definitely make up your own mind on this one - its not like you can make a bad choice in this case. If it was 2002 and you were looking at any American car, it would be a different story. If it was me, I'd go with the Malibu for the nicer interior, better styling, better warranty, and rarity (Camrys are common as dirt, afterall). Plus, you'll certainly pay less money - GM dealers are ready to deal.

Fwiw, a quick Google for 2008 Malibu reliability shows the Malinu as the #1 family car from US News - http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...u/Reliability/

All its sources - for you to make your own educated decision - http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...alibu/sources/

Last edited by Sayantsi; 01-19-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 01-20-2009, 05:28 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
I wouldn't look twice at the Malibu over the Camry.Toyota HANDS DOWN.My wife has driven Toys for years and abused them as if they were rented and never had a seconds problem....her sister bought a Malibu against our advice and had nothing but headaches with it(she now owns a Toyota),but in all fairness to the Chev,it was an '04 with almost 30,xxx on it when she got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive