Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 12:58 PM

12 posts, read 29,354 times

Advertisements

i'm torn between these two cars for my next purchase, they both are under 12000 and have decent mpg.

which should i choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 01:13 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Where are you, what do you want to use the car for, how long will you keep it?

Offhand I think Consumer's Reports would bear me out in thinking the Galant is the more reliable car, with somewhat better resale value.

In some jobs there are political points to be scored by driving a car that's thought of as "domestic" ie branded by one of the erstwhile "Big 3". Never mind these people are preferring a Canadian or Mexican-assembled GM to a South Carolina assembled BMW.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:50 PM

12 posts, read 29,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Where are you, what do you want to use the car for, how long will you keep it?

Offhand I think Consumer's Reports would bear me out in thinking the Galant is the more reliable car, with somewhat better resale value.

In some jobs there are political points to be scored by driving a car that's thought of as "domestic" ie branded by one of the erstwhile "Big 3". Never mind these people are preferring a Canadian or Mexican-assembled GM to a South Carolina assembled BMW.
im in florida and will probably keep the car for 4-6 years. i will use it for everything, theres no public transportation here.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:00 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
They are pretty similar cars. If you have not already, take a test drive in each. Maybe one just fits you better than the other.

When you say you will use it for everything, OK, what does everything consist of? Commuting to work? How far? Will you generally drive alone, with SO, do you have kids you will be hauling?

If you are looking at 2 specific vehicles, which one is in better shape?

Which seller is most willing to deal? Probably you can beat the price down on the Pontiac more, but that's not a given.

In Florida, the one thing GM tends to do right, A/C, would be important to me.

If you do big mileage, I would think the Galant would have somewhat better MPG.

Not being that much into late models, I have to ask - probably the Galant has the one engine and transmission they all came with. What engine and trans is in the Pontiac?

Take a look in Consumer Reports, look at estimated reliability on both.

There is one Mitsubishi engine that's notorious for building up sludge. Does this Galant have it? If so, is there any evidence it's had the right oil and changed often enough to dodge that bullet?

Old 01-23-2009, 04:02 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
You can get a new Ford Fusion for the same price, and you'll get better financing.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:17 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I have owned a '00 Galant and a '99 Grand Prix GT, I liked the Grand Prix better. The 2.4 engine in the Galant is rough and noisy, compared to the smoothness of the 3.8 V6 in the Grand Prix. From what I remember the Galant got pretty bad gas mileage for a 4 cylinder, it seemed like the gearing was too low. The Grand Prix has a bigger engine, but it runs at a low rpm on the highway which allows it to get about 30mpg.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:47 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Is it a 4 or V6 Galant? Is the GP supercharged?
The V6 Galant and the supercharged GP are flyers, and probably more likely to have been abused, though not necessarily.

I'd have to drive them. IIRC the Galant has a bit more space, the GP is rather cramped for such a big car.

As sonarrat pointed out, a Fusion and a number of other cars can be had for $12,000--probably an Elantra or Spectra, Mitsu Lancer, leftover 2008 Suzuki SX4--that IMHO are better ideas than any used car.

In fact, you can probably also get a two-year-old Impala for 12 grand.

Look further, I think you can buy new for near this price.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:14 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
You can get a new Ford Fusion for the same price, and you'll get better financing.
You can't get a new Focus for 12K. Who's selling Fusions for 12K?????

Old 01-23-2009, 08:32 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venice7 View Post
i'm torn between these two cars for my next purchase, they both are under 12000 and have decent mpg.

which should i choose?
Neither, IMHO.

The GM 3.8 is an excellent motor that gives pretty good mileage and performance. But, based on my experience with Pontiac, i'd pass. That's not a knock on GM. I've had great experiences with Chevy, but not Pontiac.

As far as the Galant, i don't know about your area, but in my area, most of them are sold to people who normally wouldn't qualify for financing on a new car. I know of 2 Mitsu dealerships in the state that went out of business because they were caught misrepresenting buyer credentials to lenders. Suffice it to say, many of the used ones that i see here are thrashed because they were sold to people who had no business owning a new car.

How about an Altima?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive