U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:28 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,771,787 times
3 of 5 cars I own have manual transmissions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 04:32 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,465,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I learned to drive on a stickshift. I think EVERYBODY should be able to drive stick. There's no excuse not to.
Unless of course the only cars you have at your arsenal are automatics, have a very hilly terrain, and have no real need to learn stick-shift. Though I admit, it would have been good to know when going to Europe and wanting to rent a car.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:35 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,112,896 times
Quote:
I learned to drive on a stickshift. I think EVERYBODY should be able to drive stick. There's no excuse not to.
ITA. If you had an emergency, as in you had to get somewhere asap, a matter of life or death, and the only car available was a stick-shift, you'd better know how to drive it or else you're up that well-known creek!!

I believe once you learn to drive a stick, you'll always prefer it to an automatic-MUCH more fun!!

Old 01-25-2009, 04:35 PM

5,126 posts, read 6,817,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
I I also live in a very hilly city, so manual is not all that ideal. Only way I'd ever drive a stick shift is if I absolutely HAD TO, and I lived on flat terrain and never planned going up a hill again in my life. Plus, it just seems to be too much of a pain. You have to think about shifting all the time.
What's the problem with driving a stick shift on hilly terrain? I haven't ever had any trouble. Once you get used to it you shift without even thinking about it

Quote:
When I turned 16, besides the family car we had an old International Scout (wish I still had it!). My dad made sure my older brother and I knew how to drive a stick shift. In an emergency where you had to go somewhere in a hurry and a stick shift is all that was there, you wouldn't be stranded. I now drive a Geo Tracker with a stick and love it! Only problem is, during engine work before I bought it, someone unhooked the cruise control! Even on a stick, I miss my cruise! lol

Old 01-25-2009, 04:38 PM

855 posts, read 1,771,587 times
learned on a stick shift, been forced to drive an automatic for 2.5 years now and can't wait to finally get another car. a stick shift this time again.

if i wanna drive an automatic i can get a shopping cart.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:07 PM

9,807 posts, read 5,355,450 times
In August of 2007, I went to a Toyota dealer and said I wanted a new Camry with a manual transmission.

He stated he thinks they discontinued that, but I told him I researched and they still make them.

I stated my preference of color and he located one at a different dealer.

I paid $18,200 for it and I love it.

I got 33.6 mpg on a trip and did some driving on windy, steep, backroads in NE Alabama and NC Arkansas.

I put on 36,000 miles in the 18 months I owned the car (and I'm retired so I don't comute to work)

Old 01-25-2009, 05:41 PM

2,672 posts, read 4,159,648 times
Sticks suck here in Dirty Jersey with all the traffic, plus the resale value is horrible. Try to sell a car with a stick--good luck!

I love sticks on the open road, here in NJ there is no open road.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:46 PM

565 posts, read 974,831 times
Why do most people simply cite the fact that manuals get better gas mileage.

How about that they are simply more FUN!!!

For me, driving an automatic is boring, I will take any vehicle with a stick over an auto.

To prove my point, I just strayed from Mercedes Benz to BMW, because Mercedes no longer offers stick shifts in the U.S. on their larger engines.

Score one for the Beamer.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:50 PM

6,992 posts, read 13,391,186 times
I have been able to drive a stick (manual) shift since I was 16 and have owned several, but I prefer automatics (in most cars), because on some cars, manual shift is "too heavy". Imported cars seem to have good manual shifts. I am 32 now and the last car I owned with a stick shift was a 1989 Acura Integra RS back in 1998. I liked it, but I have a bum knee and it sometimes hurts if I drive a stick. My dad had a 88' Nissan truck with a 5-speed that I occasionally drove and now has a 1985 Nissan with a 5-speed. They are OK, but I am lazy I guess- so I like automatics.

One thing about the USA, I do not even know if you can rent a manual shift car here. I normally rent at Avis and I do not recall ever seeing a manual shift car. I guess thats the difference - America is pampered.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:13 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,752,624 times
I don't see the point of learning to drive stick. Modern cars these days have automatic and it's just easier to drive automatic. I never learned to drive stick, mainly because I never had a chance or need to. The only people I know that drive stick are old people that learned to drive when stick was popular and rednecks that think they're Nascar drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive