U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 07:47 AM

4,214 posts, read 11,877,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
As for the person who asked when "three on the tree" were discontinued.

I am not sure, but my best friend bought a "new in the box" 1971 Chevy Malibu with it.
3 on the tree I know was used into the 1980's on trucks and then I think is when it became a thing of the past. I've seen some of the early 80's Fords have the 3 on the tree.

On cars, I'd guess late 70's they phased them out. I do recall seeing a 1977-78 Chevy Nova 4 door that had a 3 on the tree in it. I also saw a 1976 Chevy Malibu 4 door with one. By '78 I don't think any Malibus had column shift manuals.

I was thinking the poster I responded to was asking about those big land barge type luxury cars (Fury, Caprice, Bonneville, Delta 88, Le Sabre)....it seems '71 was the last year for the 3 on the tree for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 08:32 AM

32 posts, read 132,046 times
I was shocked to see so many replies but I wish there had not been so many people saying how wonderful stick shift cars are. That was not my question.

I wanted to know what percent of American drivers know how to drive a stick shift car?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 AM

9,766 posts, read 24,102,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet nut View Post
I was shocked to see so many replies but I wish there had not been so many people saying how wonderful stick shift cars are. That was not my question.

I wanted to know what percent of American drivers know how to drive a stick shift car?
4 out of 4 in this American household...so 100% here!

Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 AM

17,039 posts, read 12,212,215 times
Quote:

How is anyone supposed to know the answer to that? You could have done a poll but then the only answer you'd really get is "What percentage of c-d auto forum readers who are willing to participate in a poll, can drive a stick shift car"

Old 01-26-2009, 08:41 AM

9,807 posts, read 6,263,456 times
----"but I wish there had not been so many people saying how wonderfull stick shift cars are. That was not my question "---

sorry ----------(but if YOU don't know the exact percent, how do you expect US to know the exact percent ? )

Maybe you feel that is a question the census takers should ask when they take the census.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:45 AM

7,098 posts, read 8,762,494 times
I wish I could drive stick. I'm in London for the semester and have a full range of ZipCars at my disposal... but they're all stick! I'm trying to convince one of my friends here to allow me to practice on their cars, but I'd feel horrible to trash it learning.

My parents and grandparents have always driven automatic- even before that was common. There has never been anyone to teach me how to drive standard.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:34 AM

3,494 posts, read 6,541,881 times
Quote:
Fwiw, I answered your question back on page 4.

Net is, not many in the USA know anymore since we've had automatics for so long.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:41 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,457,964 times
I learned to drive on automatics. In fact I never thought I would ever learn to drive a manual and had automatics my first years of driving. My first new car in my early 20's was a stick. I got the stick because it was cheaper than an automatic. In all the years since, I am now 59 I have only owned 3 automatics I kept the last automatic car 1 1/2 years and found I missed the manual, traded it for a new manual pick up truck. I like the fact I have more control with a manual, and my brakes last alot longer since I can downshift. I never liked the feeling of needing the brakes so much more with the automatics. I think now I have continuously owned manuals since 1986.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:43 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,457,964 times
None of us would know what the percentage of people in the US drive or can drive manuals. One thing for sure is the majority of americans drive automatics.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 01-26-2009 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-26-2009, 10:01 AM

284 posts, read 847,259 times
I never learned to drive a stick. Always wanted to, learn but never got around to doing it. My current car is a VW GTI with a dsg transmission. i think this is a great middle ground-two clutches but no actual clutch pedal. This thing shifts faster than any manual I have ever driven in and gets about the same gas mileage. You can shift youself when you feel like you want to be in control or let the computer do its do. Best of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive