Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 05:38 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,120 times

Advertisements

I am absolutley disgusted that its become so difficult to find cars with a manual anymore. I've gone so far as to remove the automatic from my truck and swap a manual trans in.

I hate automatics. They're boring, expensive to fix, and for lazy fat Americans. You shouldn't be allowed to have one unless you're missing a leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 06:25 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,291,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I am absolutley disgusted that its become so difficult to find cars with a manual anymore. I've gone so far as to remove the automatic from my truck and swap a manual trans in.

I hate automatics. They're boring, expensive to fix, and for lazy fat Americans. You shouldn't be allowed to have one unless you're missing a leg.
Two of my 3 vehicles have manuals. It took 6 months to get my 01 F150 when I ordered it, because they made so few manuals back then. In my 04 Corvette the 6 spd was an added $1000 option? Go figure.

My Jeep is a TH350C which is really nice to come up on an obstacle and apply just enough power to get over it. And is really nice when just driving on pavement to have it shift automatically.

I wish now that my F150 was an automatic. The torque multiplication from the torque converter really increases the towing capacity. When towing my Jeep I have no problem using the manual for braking going downhill, but a travel trailer really puts a strain on the clutch, and limits the weight to quite a bit less than an automatic.

In 2020 I will order a new F150, and I'm really looking forward to the new 6 spd automatic and the increased towing capacity. It's really easy to come on here and post snippy comments, but it really exposes your real ignorance of the subject matter. There's a place for both, but clearly the automatic is winning over most people. I love manuals for their simplicity, but automatic have benefits that manuals don't.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:40 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,287,217 times
Quote:

I love intolerant ignorance. What happend to live and let live or to each their own? No we have ****ing manual trans nazis that think that because they wiggle their left foot every few minutes, they are special snowflakes.

I prefer a good manual tansmission in a car, I've swapped manuals in where automatics were. But, on some race cars and muscle cars, I've gone the other way, and swapped in modified autmatics. And I prefer good autoboxes in luxury cars, especially ones with big engines, or in EVs.

I built a V8 RX7 for autocross racing, and used a modified Ford AOD 4 speed automatic in it. It woudl bark the tires into every gear including overdrive, shift when I wanted, faster than a manual box could. Made a car that pulled over 1 G laterally into a beast that was also very consistent. it was very fun, with the autobox in it. ANd speaking of fun, have you ever driven those high speed indoor karts? VERY fun, and you don't shift them at all. Fun is the entire package, not just whether you move your left foot occasionally. And besides, is it hard, taking concentration, thus adding to the fun? Or is it easy, muscle memory that anyone should be able to do and second nature to you, where you don't even notice it?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:05 AM

838 posts, read 2,524,402 times
I prefer a manual trans, but mainly in a car that is performance oriented. It doesn't seem worth the effort to me to row through the gears on a 150hp car. Only justifications in my mind for that would be marginal improvement in mpg and possibly a lower maintenance cost (clutch vs. auto trans rebuild).

Drove my wife's new '13 fusion hybrid the past few days and wanted back in the M5 this morning.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,415,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
...clutches go out after several years $500, auto trans upgrade about $1500 and mine has no rebuild at 213k.

Funny, the 5 manual trans vehicles I've personally owned have never needed a clutch. The oldest I'd owned was a 1952 in 1990, no idea if the clutch Had been replaced at some point but it was a well used farm truck that I beat the snot out of through high school. Right now I have a 12 year old car with 250k miles and the original clutch with no signs of it needing any sort of replacement. The rest fit in between somewhere in terms of age and miles, but none have had fewer than 100k miles, or been younger than 10 years old.

On the other hand, the 2 autos I've owned both died before 50k miles (granted, both were Dodge built so it was pretty much expected/anticipated).

So I see your limited perspective viewpoint and raise you with my own.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:06 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
I have yet to replace a clutch in any of the manual car's i've owned as well.

Autos tend to be heavy, and have more parastic loss. So for a performance standpoint in terms of weight, and transferring as much power to the wheels through less parastic loss, and gearing, the manual might be a better option for a performance car. Yes, i know drag racers prefer automatics, but for a road race sort of car, a manual would be prefered.

My daily driver is automatic though. I sit through 2 hours of traffic a day. I drove a manual for a long time and never complained but when it came new car time, i didn't mind that my choices only limited me to an automatic trans.

Going back and forth from auto's to manuals can be a little tricky. I've had countless times where i've forgotten to push the clutch in on my manual car after just hopping in, and also countless times i'm reaching for a clutch pedal at stops when i first get back into my automatic car.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
FWIW - I have a Suzuki Burgman 650 cc motorcycle that looks like a scooter and it has a continously variable ratio auto transmission. This is the easiest to ride bike I have ever had. Controlling the rear brake with my left hand is so much more accurate than the right foot pedal.

I still know how to drive a standard or even a syncroless crash box. They are usefull in the right place but not always the ideal.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:29 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,086 times
Quote:

Im sure like me, most of us are disgusted by someone with so much intolerance. You've got serious mental issues.

And I love manuals myself. Been driving them since I was 6yo. Autos have their place though and you cant avoid them at the racetrack anymore with so many shifting autos, DCGs, and sequentials which only need the clutch to get moving/get stopped.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:30 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,156,856 times
Quote:

Judgemental, much?

I adore a manual transmission and wish every vehicle I owned had one. I cannot think of a situation where I'd prefer an automatic - traffic, snow, ice, whatever. I think it's a very useful skill, especially if you travel overseas. I do think it makes for better driving skills - but then you'd have to do away with air bags, GPS, antilock brakes, 4WD, heated mirrors and a whole raft of other safety/convenience features, if you want to be consistent.

And I am old enough that I prefer rear-wheel drive (yes, really) and a stick shift in snow and icy conditions, since that is what I learned and still know. But progress marches on, despite my preferences.

Truly it's becoming an anachronistic skill to be able to drive a stick in the US, I don't see what fat, lazy or American has to do with it and I don't quite get the vehemence here. Isn't this sort of like saying microwaves, or cell phones, or indoor plumbing or electricity or the internet, is only for fat lazy Americans?

Old 07-23-2013, 02:39 PM

865 posts, read 2,160,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Two of my 3 vehicles have manuals. It took 6 months to get my 01 F150 when I ordered it, because they made so few manuals back then. In my 04 Corvette the 6 spd was an added $1000 option? Go figure.

My Jeep is a TH350C which is really nice to come up on an obstacle and apply just enough power to get over it. And is really nice when just driving on pavement to have it shift automatically.

I wish now that my F150 was an automatic. The torque multiplication from the torque converter really increases the towing capacity. When towing my Jeep I have no problem using the manual for braking going downhill, but a travel trailer really puts a strain on the clutch, and limits the weight to quite a bit less than an automatic.

In 2020 I will order a new F150, and I'm really looking forward to the new 6 spd automatic and the increased towing capacity. It's really easy to come on here and post snippy comments, but it really exposes your real ignorance of the subject matter. There's a place for both, but clearly the automatic is winning over most people. I love manuals for their simplicity, but automatic have benefits that manuals don't.

I do like having an auto in my Cherokee. An indestructable auto at that!

I have been behind people on trails / rocks / creek beds where they smoke a clutch. It's a lot easier and less strenuous to just put it in 1 and 4L0 and let it walk. Plus it seems that guys who have manual transmissions like to bounce them off the rev limiter and dump the clutch ... sending parts flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive