Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 04:52 PM

24,466 posts, read 25,999,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
It was a chevy umm barge, either a impala or malibu. Either way it wasn't new and had Utah. The thing did 0-60 eventually which was disappointing as the speed limits south of Denver were 75.
Me thinks you missed something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 07:52 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I seriously doubt I will ever buy another car with an automatic. The last one I had was a 1990 Plymouth Acclaim with the infamous A-604. Automatics are more trouble than they're worth..
My BMW had 183k on it's original automatic transmission with the original "lifetime fluid" in it. Never gave me a lick of problems. My 3500 diesel dually tow rig has 189k on it's original automatic with no problems whatsoever, including towing my 30 foot travel trailer over the mountains. Wanna tell my how those two automatics are "more trouble than they're worth?"

Sorry, a bunch of people on here with limited experience making stupid blanket statements again.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:07 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
My BMW had 183k on it's original automatic transmission with the original "lifetime fluid" in it. Never gave me a lick of problems. My 3500 diesel dually tow rig has 189k on it's original automatic with no problems whatsoever, including towing my 30 foot travel trailer over the mountains. Wanna tell my how those two automatics are "more trouble than they're worth?"

Sorry, a bunch of people on here with limited experience making stupid blanket statements again.
Esp if you have a good build tranny with high quality semi/full synthetic. For tranny fluid that gets so damn hot it makes a big difference. When I run Dex 3 for 96 corolla 213k on org trans it slowly goes from dark red/pink to black. When I run full syn trans like Mobile 1 no black fluid at all it doesn't break down and oxidize like dino.

As much as I love CR they did a real disservice with that NYC taxi study saying running dino vs full syn made no difference. Sure that's a big block V8 that has a lot less stress on it than my 1.8 4 banger going up the rockies.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:44 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
manual transmission driving is fun. i drove a fiat 500 5 speed the other day and man that was a blast!

Old 07-29-2013, 04:24 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I never could figure out how to do this without it feeling awkward and thus a little bit risky in some way. I don't know if it's just my leg, the pedal/seating positioning in the car(s) I've had or some combination of both.
I use the side of my foot to "heel & toe" downshift. It's way too uncomfortable for me twist my foot like that. So I put most of my right foot on the brake and the right side of my foot just barely reaches over and can blip the throttle.

Try it that way. And of course do it on an empty road with no one around until you're comfortable with it.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:26 PM

978 posts, read 2,053,979 times
I like manual transmissions, in fact I might even prefer them to automatics. However, for those who drive often, it's just easier to have an automatic. Europeans prefer manual transmissions because they are cheaper and because they don't drive as often.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:04 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,047 times
I drive all the time (including heavy traffic) and I still prefer a manual.

An automatic is simpler (step on gas or step on brake), but shifting is so second nature to me now that I don't consider it extra work. I also notice that my mind seems to wander more when driving an auto. Not really a benefit when you're driving in traffic.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:16 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Europeans prefer manual transmissions because they are cheaper and because they don't drive as often.
Do you have a cite for this? Or you simply making assumptions based on something you read once?

Because I learned to drive a manual in Europe having grown up there, visit often and all of my immediate family lives there. Spain, Hungary, Scotland and England. And previously, Israel and Turkey. I've driven in all of these countries.

I can assure you, they (each separately) drive as much as any person living in the US. On congested roads, including hills, big cities and multi-lane motorways.

I have driven a semi (18 speeds, hello) and stick shifts for decades in all sorts of traffic and road conditions. When you know what you are doing, it is absolutely 100 percent no more difficult to drive a stick shift than an auto. Anyone who says it's a bother isn't a very proficient driver.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:43 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

I agree. I'm a stick-driver myself, but every car i've had an Auto in has run perfectly fine for well over 100K miles. Never had an issue at all

Old 07-30-2013, 09:23 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
I've never driven a stick shift car, and I sort of refuse to. I don't want to ruin someone else's stick shift practicing. I also live in a very hilly city, so manual is not all that ideal. Only way I'd ever drive a stick shift is if I absolutely HAD TO, and I lived on flat terrain and never planned going up a hill again in my life. Plus, it just seems to be too much of a pain. You have to think about shifting all the time.
Well, when you absolutely HAVE to, you won't be able to, end of story.

Why so many people can't drive stick and have no desire to learn, I don't know. Maybe its being stubborn. If you want to travel, much of the world still has a vast majority of cars that are stick. It should be a basic skill everyone should learn, or at least know the basics. On top of that, there are plenty of advantages stick has over conventional automatic, but who wants to do that extra "work".

Estimate for people in the US that can drive stick...50% know the concept, 30% can do it well is my guess. That may also be skewed a bit since I grew up in the car community though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive