U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 03:04 AM

38,691 posts, read 82,754,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
I'm a little surprised that it caused that much of a change for you - especially in light of the fact that your tires were over-sized primarily in width, not height.

I wonder if those changes would have been different on a different vehicle.

Interesting...
I'm surprised it only caused that much of a change. While they were oversized in width, the "60" part is an aspect ratio, not a fixed dimension. That means the same aspect number on a 225 versus a 235 would mean the sidewall is actually taller on the latter, and thus so is the overall diameter of the tire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 01:06 PM

8,086 posts, read 25,329,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm surprised it only caused that much of a change. While they were oversized in width, the "60" part is an aspect ratio, not a fixed dimension. That means the same aspect number on a 225 versus a 235 would mean the sidewall is actually taller on the latter, and thus so is the overall diameter of the tire.

Yeah, they were ~ 0.5" wider and 0.5" taller. As someone mentioned it was a Discount Tire ''upsell'' size for the car (03 Dodge Intrepid). It made it look better IMO because it filled the wheel well up a little more, and the tires were beefier. Never had any rubbing issues, either. But everything else degraded, as mentioned earlier.

There is a 17" OE option (225/55r17). There is also an 18" OE rim for the 300M Special. However the RT and Special have the suspensions tweaked differently vs. my standard suspension. I'd imagine the alignment specs are very slightly different as well.

So yeah -- not messing with sizing anymore. The engineers have already done the work for you. If you want a good tire, I highly suggest Michelin Hydroedge combined with NTB's 3 or 5 year alignment service. They are 90k mile tires and have been reported to last over 120k if the pressure and alignment is diligently cared for. They are by far the best tires I have ever used. I understand GoodYear Assurance Tripletred are very good, too.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:23 AM

2,603 posts, read 6,059,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
I'm a little surprised that it caused that much of a change for you - especially in light of the fact that your tires were over-sized primarily in width, not height.

I wonder if those changes would have been different on a different vehicle.

Interesting...
It doesn't make sense. Wonder if it was a different brand or model tire.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:31 AM

10,308 posts, read 38,008,051 times
[quote=Filet Mignon;7268076]I'm a little surprised that it caused that much of a change for you - especially in light of the fact that your tires were over-sized primarily in width, not height.

[quote]

There's a design point of contact for the tire patch on the road created by the geometry of the suspension in the static point where it's aligned to specs, as well as how the tire contact is maintained as the suspension moves through it's range of travel (up and down, turning, etc.).

If you place a "wider" tire on the car, you may readily move that intended contact patch to another area where it wasn't intended to be, and create all kinds of wear. Even though the "static" alignment on the rack will give correct readings, the suspension on the road is going into an "out of alignment" transistion for most of the time.

Different cars, as well as different loadings and roads traveled, will respond differently to tire size changes. Without knowing all of the design parameters for a given car and how it will be driven, it's impossible to predict what will work and what won't for tire wear as well as handling.

The worst cases I've seen on the street involved "reversed" wheels, where the tires were farther out from the suspension than designed. On modded cars for "show", they were miserable handling and didn't give very much tire life. But the owners were more interested in the appearance on Saturday night "cruising" than transportation, and the cars didn't go very many miles ... and most of those were at very slow "look at me" type speeds.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:35 PM

6,476 posts, read 16,784,994 times
I always buy my tires in pairs...never one only. If I have a flat and as a result ruin the tire before stopping I generally will buy two same brand name tires and put the best remaing one as a spare. Sometimes the spare may have more rubber then the one coming off the car. Any case the best will go as a spare and the other into the garage as a backup if needed.

Have noticed in the past that two different brand names with the same size...one tire was taller after being mounted on the rim. Don't think many people noticed this in the past. Tire shops just read off the size...grab a couple of different brands as for price option and never say anything about being taller.
Without being mounted a person should be able to see the difference (hopefully). Steve

Old 02-02-2009, 04:41 PM

7,475 posts, read 18,467,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. I know it's a dumb question. But 18 months ago, a tire dealer put wrong-sized tires on my car. According to another dealer, they're already showing a great deal of wear, even though I keep them inflated. The second dealer claims that, because the wrong-sized tire went onto my car, that's normal and is also screwing up my odometer. Is that really that case?
NOT ONLY IS IT SCREWING UP YOUR ODOMETER, IF IT'S A COMPUTER CONTROLED CAR, IT'S SCREWING UP EVERYTHING....
Sorry, didn't mean to yell

Old 02-02-2009, 06:11 PM

10,308 posts, read 38,008,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
NOT ONLY IS IT SCREWING UP YOUR ODOMETER, IF IT'S A COMPUTER CONTROLED CAR, IT'S SCREWING UP EVERYTHING....
Really? How?

Old 02-02-2009, 09:17 PM

7,475 posts, read 18,467,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Really? How?
Your vehicle computer takes feedback from several sources to make decisions . If the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is feeding incorrect information because of tire size,, all computer decisions will be based on incorrect information, therefor you will not be operating at peak efficiency. Any changes made in the computer controlled system screws everything up...

Old 02-02-2009, 09:50 PM

5,019 posts, read 19,550,051 times
Since there is variation in brands of tires and of course they wear smaller any tire within about 5% circumference will be no problem. Most tire wear problems are caused by alignment/inflation issues.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 421 times
What about 225/65r16 the tire place put 225/75r16 is this a problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive