U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:47 PM

621 posts, read 2,236,780 times
Default Car jerks hard when I press on the brake

Hello I have a question for all you car experts. I have a 2000 eclipse. It has about 76000 miles on it. Problem is when I press on the brakes when I'm driving on the highway it will jerk and feel like I'm going over a mountain of bumps before it comes to a complete stop. I rarely if ever brake hard and I usually come to a nice slow stop but it still jerks and feels like I'm driving over a big a$$ bumpy mountain. What does this mean?? I want to take it to the shop but I don't want to get screwed beyond belief. I keep looking online to see if I can find out a cause but it seems like no one gives a direct answer yet most have had this problem.

P.S. I love my car so don't even think about telling me to go for a newer model.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 07:54 PM

8,785 posts, read 22,159,751 times
Actually if you never press the brake hard that may be what caused the problem. First I'd make sure you still have plenty of pad thickness left, if so, go somewhere you can vary your speed significantly both legally and safely (for example a state highway with little traffic) and accelerate up to 60, then brake fairly hard down to about 20, repeat maybe 5 times, then drive several miles till the brakes cool.

As I said, find the right place to do this, somewhere you won't get rear-ended if you get on the brakes hard for no apparent reason.

If your brake pads are worn, that may be part of the problem.

With 76,000 miles you are probably on the 2nd set of pads at least on the front axle. Try to get an independent shop to install the correct OEM factory pads, look out for sub-standard pads from "Cheap Joe" brake chains.

Try posting up on your local forum to find a good shop, and/or the "mechaix files" on CarTalk.com.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:08 PM

7,377 posts, read 11,499,881 times
What you are describing is out of round rotors Have them checked and turned.
What makes rotors out of round rotors..,,? Some cowboy who doesn't know how to used an air wrench when your wheels were mounted last time....

Old 02-02-2009, 09:13 PM

6,299 posts, read 10,001,285 times
Get a new set of rotors and pads and insist they use a torque wrench when mounting your tires, that'll fix you right up. Personally I don't like turning rotors I think by the time you pay $15-$20 to turn them you might as well buy new ones for $40-$50. Turned rotors generally warp quickly again. My car manufacturer, Volvo, recommends against turning rotors. When I put all 4 corners on man it was so smooth, gotta love a good braking system .

Old 02-02-2009, 09:16 PM

41,633 posts, read 44,854,191 times
Sounds lie rotors to me .Ford rotors are alos famous for this when they are wet in the morning even when new.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:33 PM

6,994 posts, read 14,097,409 times
Yep, its warped brake rotors. Replace them (or you can have them "turned" or resurfaced much cheaper if not too worn out)... then also replace the brake pads. Like Wheelsup said, it is sometimes not much more to get new rotors though. Look into it.

It will be smooth as silk.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:39 PM

2,217 posts, read 407,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
What you are describing is out of round rotors Have them checked and turned.
What makes rotors out of round rotors..,,? Some cowboy who doesn't know how to used an air wrench when your wheels were mounted last time....
I second the motion.

If you're at all mechanical, you can replace your brakes and rotors by yourself.

Depending on the particular application, your new rotors will cost between $25 - $50 per side. Decent brake pads (I stay away from both the bottom-end ones and the top-end ones) will probably run you about $30.

I hope that's all that's wrong, because it'd be great if you could solve the problem for a $100 bill!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:04 PM

Red face Thanks

Thanks so much everybody. I am going to take it to a mechanic this weekend. I dread doing that but I love my baby. If not my local shop I was thinking maybe Mienieke (or however u spell it) but I had a bad experience with them once. Their $99 brake job advertisment turned into a $200 job. Maybe I'll just see if my brother can come up and take the car it's like they see a woman and automatically that costs me extra $$$

Old 02-03-2009, 07:15 PM

8,785 posts, read 22,159,751 times
Gal, try to find yourself a good independent shop, preferably one where the owner is the chief wrench as well. Chains like Midas seldom offer the best deal - they have to pay for the overhead of the home office somehow.

Post up on your local forum and/or look at the Mechanix Files on CarTalk.com.

The guys who are suggesting you may have warped discs caused by meathead tire store grease monkeys "gorilla torquing" your wheels with air wrenches bring up a valid point, as well.

You really need to cultivate a good mechanic or good shop, good shops are out there, your job is to find them.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Gal, try to find yourself a good independent shop, preferably one where the owner is the chief wrench as well. Chains like Midas seldom offer the best deal - they have to pay for the overhead of the home office somehow.

Post up on your local forum and/or look at the Mechanix Files on CarTalk.com.

The guys who are suggesting you may have warped discs caused by meathead tire store grease monkeys "gorilla torquing" your wheels with air wrenches bring up a valid point, as well.

You really need to cultivate a good mechanic or good shop, good shops are out there, your job is to find them.

Thanks for the website I may check out one of those mechanics this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive