Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times

Advertisements

Our Acura does nothing to alert us whether it actually locked, so you have to either listen for the "click" or look. My Ford truck blinks the parking lights. Both have alarms, but I've never engaged either one. I'd rather have it stolen than have to listen to an alarm (or beeping, not sure what my alarm sounds like). Besides, they're heavily insured. Anyone want an Acura or a truck? (kidding, of course)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 06:10 PM

355 posts, read 2,703,157 times
Both of my cars make a loud beep and the lights flash, which I like because sometimes when I am in a large parking lot, I might forget to arm the car as soon as I get out and be at the door of the store when I remember to arm it. I press the button and listen for the horn and know that its locked and there is no need to walk all the way back to the car to arm it. I have even made a game out of all the "beeps". I count how many I hear, and always get a kick out of it.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:12 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Nowadays, you can't be in a parking lot, apartment complex or any other public place without ppl honking their car horns when they lock their car doors, oftentimes late at night. Does this honk set some kind of intrusion alarm for the car or are ppl just trying to be annoying to merely lock their doors by pressing their key remote?
I think if someone came up with a way that you could order 'personalized sounds' on your key chain like you can on a cell phone....they would make a lot of money.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:24 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I think if someone came up with a way that you could order 'personalized sounds' on your key chain like you can on a cell phone....they would make a lot of money.
Hey, that's a GREAT idea! I want one that quietly says "OK, I'm locked!" when the button is pushed, and when the alarm goes off it sounds a shrill scream (or that scream that has been used in many, many movies), then shouts "HELP ME, PLEASE HELP ME".
Yeah, I know, I'm wierd.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:49 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Hey, that's a GREAT idea! I want one that quietly says "OK, I'm locked!" when the button is pushed, and when the alarm goes off it sounds a shrill scream (or that scream that has been used in many, many movies), then shouts "HELP ME, PLEASE HELP ME".
Yeah, I know, I'm wierd.

That was too funny! Anything but those nasty honks that i'm forced to listen to every night.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:25 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
I think it started in the 1990s. I had a 1995 Chrysler Concorde that honked, as did my old 1992 Buick Park Avenue. My 1991 Lexus LS400 does neither... it just locks, so you have to listen up or look at the "security" light on the instrument panel. I had a 2000 Toyota Tundra truck with the optional factory security system. It would make a three "beep" sound when locking and a one beep when unlocking. I think my aunts 2001 Nissan honks horn.

My 1988 Mercedes has a factory alarm system, but does not have a keyless entry. In 1988, this was something that was not even standard on Mercedes... I am not even sure if it was optional on ANY car (keyless entry) in 1988. ??

Old 02-07-2009, 11:28 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Guess I was wrong. I did some research and according to a reliable source....

Remote keyless systems first began appearing as an option on several American Motors vehicles in 1983, including the Renault Alliance (I thought this was very strange, as I thought it would be Mercedes or Cadillac would be the first to have such an option). The feature gained its first widespread availability on General Motors' W-platform vehicles (the Buick Regal, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and Pontiac Grand Prix) in 1989.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post

My 1988 Mercedes has a factory alarm system, but does not have a keyless entry. In 1988, this was something that was not even standard on Mercedes... I am not even sure if it was optional on ANY car (keyless entry) in 1988. ??

Old 02-08-2009, 05:20 AM

890 posts, read 3,699,404 times
My car locks and flashes the turn signals on the first press of the lock button. Press the lock button again within 5 seconds and it chirps while flashing the turn signals again.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:23 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I think they honk to let you know as you're walking away that you have successfully locked the car. But I agree with the above posts - it seems that one hit on the lock remote locks with no sound and the second tap will honk the horn on a lot of cars.

With some cars, you can set what you want to happen (lights vs lights and horns vs nothing).

Old 02-08-2009, 02:29 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
2008 Ford Fusion - hit the unlock button, it turns the lights on for you. Hit lock once, it flashes them and then turns them off and locks. Hit lock a second time, it flashes again and honks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive