Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:51 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,495,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
It is a big deal when your street sounds like a parking lot. One toot might not matter to you but when you hear it all day long it is enough to drive someone crazy.
And again this is what happens when tech trickles down from luxury cars to everybody's cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 08:42 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,090,528 times
My 1995 Lincoln Town Car will give a quick honk sound when you lock with the remote. My 2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 would beep when you would lock with the remote. Not sure about my old 1991 Chevy Caprice Classic, because the remote didnt work on it. Those are the only cars I have ever been fortunate enough to own with remote entry/locking.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:40 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,257,230 times
I wish there were no dingers, honks or any other of the annoying junk they put into vehicles today. Auto on headlights should be banned too. If someone is too stupid to turn their headlights on when needed, they shouldn't be on the road. Plus half the time idiots leave them on bright, and now the government says they don't know why nearsightness has rappidly increased the last 10 years. DUH, maybe getting blinded by headlights day and night?

Old 04-23-2011, 02:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,985,292 times
We have both a 2006 and a 2007 Rav4 in the family.

The 2006 honks and the 2007 doesn't. They must have gotten letters.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,611 times
Default My VW Jetta honks when I lock it, and I can't change it.

I recently bought a 2012 VW Jetta Diesel TDI, which honks when I lock it -- and it's a louder beep than I have heard on other cars (not that I like hearing even little beeps). The dealer says that for about $50 (in labor time) they are willing to reprogram the computer so that this will stop. Even so, I'm angry to think that more and more cars are out there beeping. Does anyone know whether there is a government agency that listens to this concern, or is there an advocacy group that is trying to fight this? Furthermore, it seems wrong to have to pay a VW dealer to remove this feature. I would write the CEO to complain, but someone at VW headquarters told me over the phone today that dealers are "advised" not to take this feature out, and I don't want them to get into trouble. Thoughts on this from anyone would also be appreciated.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:32 AM

17,574 posts, read 45,968,514 times
I'm pretty sure I can change the settings on mine to not honk/flash lights without taking it to the dealer.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 AM

5,994 posts, read 19,878,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsjop View Post
I recently bought a 2012 VW Jetta Diesel TDI, which honks when I lock it -- and it's a louder beep than I have heard on other cars (not that I like hearing even little beeps). The dealer says that for about $50 (in labor time) they are willing to reprogram the computer so that this will stop. Even so, I'm angry to think that more and more cars are out there beeping. Does anyone know whether there is a government agency that listens to this concern, or is there an advocacy group that is trying to fight this? Furthermore, it seems wrong to have to pay a VW dealer to remove this feature. I would write the CEO to complain, but someone at VW headquarters told me over the phone today that dealers are "advised" not to take this feature out, and I don't want them to get into trouble. Thoughts on this from anyone would also be appreciated.
If you did a simple google search for "2012 VW Jetta disable honk" you'd know that anyone can do this without paying a dealer. Chances are that it's in your manual as well.

I personally prefer the honk for a number of reasons. My car also locks on the first push without a honk and then honks on the second which I do to make sure that my car actually locked. I don't like relying on the first push because if my remote battery is going weak there is a chance my car would be sitting unlocked. The second reason is that it's easier to locate in massive parkling lots.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:14 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,789,376 times
to answer the OP from 3.5 years ago, we just got a Sonata that honks but you can change it in the settings for "horn feedback". I'm sure someone has already said this but the purpose is to give you an alert that your button press was accepted. If not the honk, it makes a dull sound from the doors locking and that's it. Other manufacturers use the alarm speaker and obviously it's more pleasant (btw, Toyota/Lexus thievaged BMW's sound). So in my opinion the horn honk, already being in place, was the lazy way of doing it. Strange because the vehicle also has the alarm system with a separate speaker. Anyway, on the Sonata, the 1st press of the lock button just locks it with no sound, the 2nd honks the horn. I personally turned it off day 2 and look for the light blink instead - annoying to have to do that, but better than a honk. In the manual it says the 2nd press is simply for audio feedback and does not arm the alarm further.

Anyway, for those who haven't checked, read your manual to see if it's in the settings of your car somewhere. I had to keep the TRIP button pressed a few seconds to get to the settings. The dealer did not mention this during delivery.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:45 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,098,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Persoanlly I gave up on after market alrams with their universal wiring and problems long ago.
10 cars, ten different alarms, all with multiple remote controlled features (start/windows/sunroof/etc), no problems that an occasional reset won't solve. A good alarm installed properly should not be a problem. But there are too many crap alarms, and far too many crappy installers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsjop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm pretty sure I can change the settings on mine to not honk/flash lights without taking it to the dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
If you did a simple google search for "2012 VW Jetta disable honk" you'd know that anyone can do this without paying a dealer. Chances are that it's in your manual as well.
This^^^.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:10 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,644,635 times
I know, right? I understand that some people consider the "audible confirmation" a feature, but why does it have to be so damn loud?

Toyota and Lexus are the only brands that have it right, with an relatively quiet electronic "beep," not the 125 dB honk of a horn that's designed to be LOUD and attention-getting.

Many cars won't honk the horn if you press the button one time. (They only honk if you press the button twice in a row.) That's good. If it's quiet out, I can hear the door locks themselves, so I don't need or want the horn to honk. (And I can always watch for the lights to blink.)

Some other cars honk the horn on the first press of the button. That's bad. (Nissan, GM, Chrysler, I'm looking at you!) Most of the time, there are instructions in the owners manual for turning the horn honk off. I have to do this for many of the cars I rent. I leave it set this way when I return the car, and consider it a public service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive