Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 11:27 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
I know, right? I understand that some people consider the "audible confirmation" a feature, but why does it have to be so damn loud?

Toyota and Lexus are the only brands that have it right, with an relatively quiet electronic "beep," not the 125 dB honk of a horn that's designed to be LOUD and attention-getting.

Many cars won't honk the horn if you press the button one time. (They only honk if you press the button twice in a row.) That's good. If it's quiet out, I can hear the door locks themselves, so I don't need or want the horn to honk. (And I can always watch for the lights to blink.)

Some other cars honk the horn on the first press of the button. That's bad. (Nissan, GM, Chrysler, I'm looking at you!) Most of the time, there are instructions in the owners manual for turning the horn honk off. I have to do this for many of the cars I rent. I leave it set this way when I return the car, and consider it a public service.
There are many brands that have it right. The electronic beep on my 2007 BMW 5 series is my favorite so far. It's just right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 11:39 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
There are many brands that have it right. The electronic beep on my 2007 BMW 5 series is my favorite so far. It's just right.
Touche...

But there are still way too many that have it wrong.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:02 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
as I also mentioned above, Toyota/Lexus stole it from BMW! Out of all the possible sounds one can create, they had to use the same 2?

I haven't heard the Toyota/Lexus alarm actually going off though... BMW's is a pathetic & weak sounding whistle. I wonder why they even bothered.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:21 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
as I also mentioned above, Toyota/Lexus stole it from BMW! Out of all the possible sounds one can create, they had to use the same 2?

I haven't heard the Toyota/Lexus alarm actually going off though... BMW's is a pathetic & weak sounding whistle. I wonder why they even bothered.
LOL, although I admit the BMW's alarm isn't the loudest thing I can also say that it doesn't matter. Whether in San Francisco or in its many suburbs, a car alarm can go off forever and no one will bother to look outside.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:46 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
If people lived right there would be no need to lock cars. But of course that's way to much to ask..

Old 01-11-2014, 03:02 PM

9 posts, read 26,493 times
Most car alarms lock and arm without a beep/honk on the first button press. The idiots who always press it twice to make it honk are the problem.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:37 PM

906 posts, read 1,767,093 times
My car locks the doors and sets alarm on one push (no honk) and sets the motion detectors and immobilizers on the second push (with a honk). The honk alerts you that the car is fully "immobilized".

Old 01-12-2014, 03:28 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
My car locks the doors and sets alarm on one push (no honk) and sets the motion detectors and immobilizers on the second push (with a honk). The honk alerts you that the car is fully "immobilized".
And alerts the car thieves someone is walking away from the car !

Old 01-27-2014, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,987 times
The new world of noise void of common sense

Can you imagine a world where the automobile horn is only used in emergencies again?

I can NOT imagine how a so called “automobile engineer” decided it was okay to use a short horn blast to indicate the status of the door locks or the security system.

I can NOT imagine how this stupid feature got mass produced without anyone giving thought to how disturbing this would be to other people near the vehicle.

These vehicles are making friction instead of friendship between neighbors and people in parking areas.

Please send a message to the auto industry by not buying these disturbing horn-locking vehicles and make the world a quieter and better place for everyone.

If you are one of the people disturbing others please check your owner’s manual for re-programming instructions or call your dealer for help.

Thank you for reading.

NoiseNatzi

Old 01-27-2014, 03:55 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
old thread, but my wife's '13 Sonata (and all recent Hyundais I'm sure) honks only if you tap the lock button on the remote a 2nd time. Sometimes the 1st time (silent) you may not hear the locks clicking so you're not quite sure. I would only click it a 2nd time if it's not late at night or the kids were in my ear. I'm thinking it can also be adjusted in the car settings. I hate the honk though, would rather the beep tones like my car - serves the purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive