Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:50 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,413,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
In Illinois, a replacement VIN tag must be installed by an Illinois State trooper. (One calls the local barracks, makes an appointment, and he comes to your place of business.) The rivets that hold the plate in place are tamper proof, and a cop is instructed to note the state of the rivets on the VIN tag if he pulls someone over.
A new VIN plate was installed in the door jam, after a Level 3 inspection at the DMV. The new plate was rivited on, and is not coming off unless you pry it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 08:01 AM

773 posts, read 2,630,183 times
I am surprised the VIN tag was riveted to the door jam. The VIN tag is where it is behind the windshield because then it is visible to the cop from the outside, without his asking you for permission to inspect the car. He has to ask you, and you can say no. Without a warrant and without your permission, he can't legally search your car unless he has evidence that a crime has been committed. At least that's what I've been told.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:06 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
I'm not a cop but I think if he saw a removed VIN tag from the dash, that would give him probable cause to search for evidence of VIN tampering or evidence of VIN replacement (ie placing it in the door)

Last edited by SVTLightning; 08-24-2009 at 10:35 AM..

Old 08-25-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I'm not a cop but I think if he saw a removed VIN tag from the dash, that would give him probable cause to search for evidence of VIN tampering or evidence of VIN replacement (ie placing it in the door)
I have no problem opening my door to let a cop seemy VIN plate, but I don't think it's enough for him to justify a search of my vehicle.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:16 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
That is where many vehicles replacement Vins are placed. You really shopuld have gone to the police departt auto theft division as most DMV employees are clerks not investigators.They handle paperwork.Its no probelm getting ownership information on a vehicle by VIN number at all.People do this all the time by paying for one when they do a search on salvage titles for example.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:39 AM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
A police officer may search a vehicle if he has probable cause to do so. Seeing a vin that looks tampered with gives him the right to check the numbers which are found at different locations throughout the vehicle these days, not just on the vin plate by the windshield and the door jam. The vin numbers on modern vehicles are also stamped on the chassis. In the late 60's and early 70's vehicle manufacturers also started putting the vin on the engines which is one of the reasons why having a "matching numbers" vehicle to classic car collectors is so important and not all that easy to come by which makes the "matching numbers" cars more valuable to them.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:01 PM

I went to the DMV today, I was there for almost 3 hours. I had to get a Level II inspection, done by a officer. Took almost 45 minutes just to make sure my vehicle wasn't stolen, the VIN wasn't enough they had to get serial numbers from the engine/tranny, among other things.

Turns out this Victor guy took out a bond, and had his vehicle registered, which canceled out my registration. He claimed there was no title for this vehicle. I think the guy just got suckered into buying a stolen vehicle, or is dumb enough to still have it if he stole it.

I got it all straightened out, DPS was sent to his house, I should be hearing from them this week.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:20 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
A new VIN plate was installed in the door jam, after a Level 3 inspection at the DMV. The new plate was rivited on, and is not coming off unless you pry it off.
Note to self:
Do not buy used vehicles from AZ.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Note to self:

At least not a white 99 Sentra lol!!!

Old 08-28-2009, 09:17 AM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Note to self:
It's your responsibility to compare the VIN on the title & the car to make sure they match before buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive