Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:20 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 11:31 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Lots of people like minivans, I'm the only person in my neighborhood with a station wagon though. Not sure why they never really caught on. 30-32 mpg, versatile, comfortable, safe, etc.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:37 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Lots of people like minivans, I'm the only person in my neighborhood with a station wagon though. Not sure why they never really caught on. 30-32 mpg, versatile, comfortable, safe, etc.
The guy that sits next to me at work said the US gov made some law some years back that penalized US automakers if they produced more than a certain number of station wagons. I never bothered to look this up so maybe somebody with confirm or disprove this theory.

But I'd buy a station wagon if it met my criteria for what I look for in a car for my family. Basically if it could do what our minivan does it would be an easy sell.

Edit: Interesting article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032405083.html

Old 02-09-2009, 11:42 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,274 times
We love our 06 Sienna. For years my husband didn't want one (he thought we would look old or uncool or something). After several years of cramming our kids into the back of our station wagon and attempt to go to the store with a stroller, three kids and find room for groceries, he finally saw the light. We won't part with the van now until it dies.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
My family has had 2 Volvos and now 2 subarus. I'm not a big fan of the Subarus myself but they do have good longevity. The downside is they are all AWD which kills their mileage. Volvos come in FWD and AWD and the FWD cars get 30 mpg+ while the best I can get out of the Subaru is 25 and that's 55 mph on the highway for the entire tank.

Oh and personally I think their brakes are sub-par.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
My family has had 2 Volvos and now 2 subarus. I'm not a big fan of the Subarus myself but they do have good longevity. The downside is they are all AWD which kills their mileage. Volvos come in FWD and AWD and the FWD cars get 30 mpg+ while the best I can get out of the Subaru is 25 and that's 55 mph on the highway for the entire tank.

Oh and personally I think their brakes are sub-par.
I like the looks of the Volvo wagons as well as the Volkswagen Passat wagon.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:03 PM

My wife has a Jetta now and I'm never going to buy another VW, ever! I'm looking at S70s and S60's to replace i

I've just had bad luck with VW's and have thrown in the towel.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:19 PM

I guess when it comes right down to it... I don't like the minivan. I think it's ugly.

BUT

I like the usefulness of the minivan.

And really that's all that should matter when you're talking about a vehicle that is meant to serve an intended purpose: Haul people and their stuff comfortably from point A to point B.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:31 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I wanted to get a Toyota Sienna but my wife initially wanted an SUV. We bought the SUV and she saw a convertible in the lot - she test drove it and wanted one (so we bought a convertible, also). Anyways, I would have been just as happy with a Sienna Limited.

Why don't people like Minivans? I always hear them called "Loser cars" or POS. However, with the decent gas mileage, lower clearance, and conveniences, I do not understand why they are so hated? Is it some sign of age?
Minivan sales numbers say otherwise. These days they are available with every amenity short of a kitchen sink, and they actually drive well, while managing to look halfway decent.

The dislike for minivans is probably more of a rejection of the whole suburban kid-centric culture than anything else. For younger men, at least, it's probably the pinnacle of emasculation.

Personally, I quite dislike minivans, but it's not because they are crappy or low on amenities or drive like pieces of garbage or lack space. It's because I don't want to be confused with a suburban mom carting around four screaming kids in my Nisshondota Egg. (Egg is my nickname for minivans, as they are often piloted by hens and promptly produce hatchlings when parked.)

Old 02-09-2009, 12:33 PM

890 posts, read 3,701,207 times
My friend has an Audi Allroad wagon and I'm not sure what it is with some people in this country but when you say the words, "Station wagon" all they can think of is some Detroit-built monstrosity with wood paneling and green velour seats. That Audi will throw you into your seat (twin-turbo V6, 6-speed manual transmission) if you whomp on it and on the freeway, there's no need to downshift to pass. But to some, they look at that Audi and all they see is a wood-paneled Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. Sad...

I think the minivan is falling victim to the crossover and is suffering somewhat the same affliction that affected the wagon after the big American ones destroyed that vehicle style forever. Crossovers are more stylish and get around the same mileage. Some seat 7 and can be used for a 'night out' with out screaming parenthood.

Just my 2 cents...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive