U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2009, 12:37 PM

4,051 posts, read 13,193,073 times

Advertisements

They use all kinds here and I wonder what I will do is someone tries to pull me over... I am not interested in stopping for someone if I am unsure who they are. When I lived in Dallas a SUV came up behind me with flashing lights in the grill but I could not tell if it was a cop... I just drove two blocks to my house and into the garage and closed the door behind me... never heard from anyone about it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 12:37 PM

1,313 posts, read 2,043,626 times
Mount Lebanon PD (Pittsburgh suburb) has some souped-up Dodge Chargers and Ford Mustangs in their unmarked fleet.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:06 PM

10,796 posts, read 8,000,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I've spotted a few very interesting "seized" vehicles lately.

There's just something NOT RIGHT with an Escalade or Hummer or Navigator or Mustang Cop Car.
It was funny to see the shocked expressions on teenagers faces who cruised the strips and had just done a burn out in front of you trying to impress the "dude in the Mustang" and all of a sudden you lit up light a christmas tree......priceless and most times I would just give out a good butt chewing and send them on their way.Insurance rates are high enough without adding to the kids folks troubles and I figured from then on they would never again feel safe acting up on the road and wondering if that Yugo heading towards them was a cop....no second warnings for ANY of them tho' and I had several repeat customers...bone heads

Old 02-19-2009, 02:15 PM

4,222 posts, read 10,636,718 times
Around here in Southern WI we have for state patrol: Ford Crown Vic's marked and unmarked, Dodge Magnums, Dodge Chargers, Chevy Suburbans.

For County Sheriff's: 03 ish Cadillac Escalade, 03ish Two Mercury Mountaineers, Newer Trailblazers, 04ish F-250. Dodge Chargers with like 5% tint hard to tell it's a cop as there is no spotlight. Impalas, we even had a trans am at one time, it was a formula around a 1986. I think they sold that around 2005. There's tons of unmarked around here.

If I don't think it's a cop then I just keep driving. Usually I'll drive to a local station if someone is following me with lights and see if they pull in. If they don't then I will follow until a marked unit can pull them over.

One time a guy who worked for the local volly fire department was cruising around our town. Local ff's here aren't allowed lights on pov's. So one night he try's pulling me over, I knew he wasn't a cop so I grabbed my spotlight and shined his arse. He took off like a bat out of hell. I followed him till one state patrol and two county cops got him. I played cop that time, lol. He was required to turn in all his lights and was kicked off the dept. for six months. Even when he goes back he isn't allowed any light's.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:27 PM

4,203 posts, read 8,157,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
They use all kinds here and I wonder what I will do is someone tries to pull me over... I am not interested in stopping for someone if I am unsure who they are. When I lived in Dallas a SUV came up behind me with flashing lights in the grill but I could not tell if it was a cop... I just drove two blocks to my house and into the garage and closed the door behind me... never heard from anyone about it.
I remember reading a couple articles (maybe 5 years ago?) about the Washington State Patrol using the unmarked cars - the gist was that, due to citizen concerns, they'd be used mostly in the commercial truck enforcement. The cars they were using were impound cars and had no marking and only the light they put on the dash. At about the same time there was some guy pretending to be Patrol and pulling women over, so they were aware that drivers - and particularly women - would be leery of being pulled over.

Don't know if they stuck with the "only commercial trucking" provision or not.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:50 PM

7,376 posts, read 11,783,586 times
I was fleet manager for a city for many years. We had two kind of unmarked cars. The standard old Crown Vic for normal business, and for "Cold" (undercover) cars, we got them from Insurance companies. When Ins companies recover a stolen car, and has already paid the insured off, they have to wholesale them off.
We as a Police Department who did the recovery, had first choice on what we wanted. We would usually use them for six months or so, then return them to the Ins company to sell, and then get another one. If they got "Burned" (ID'ed as a cop car) in less than six months, we'd dump it right away. Using the cars was at no cost, a courtesy of appreciation from the Ins co. We took care of them, they took care of us.. We supplied all maintenance during our period of use.
As far as brand or model, there was no special one, whatever kind of car that has ever been stolen was a possible pick. Picking something completely different each time was to our advantage.
The license plates we used were aquired over a long period of time, and we would just go to a box, pick out some plates and slap them on. If you were ever stopped bu another agenecy with phony plates, you better have some good ID.
A lot of the Hot Rod and fancy cars you see used by PD's, most are drug confiscations and are kept for DARE use, or as a novelty.. Cities don't spend money on fancy, expensive cars, but if drug dealers wish to donate to us, we gladly accept..!
That's my city, don't know about all jurisdictions...

Old 02-20-2009, 12:31 AM

4,214 posts, read 11,877,433 times
You know Donn, I once was in West Virginia on I-64 around Nitro and saw a 72 Chevelle sitting under a bridge with a light bar on top. This was maybe 3 years ago.

I got on www.chevelles.com and asked around....the story I got was the car was confiscated in a drug bust and the cops decided to keep it and use it as a cop car.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:34 AM

1,093 posts, read 2,191,209 times
Typical gov't issue Malibu, saw a few Chargers cruisn' down the freeway the other day... Big Brother is out there, just drive safe...

Old 02-20-2009, 05:25 AM

2,431 posts, read 3,532,316 times
I remember reading something about a year ago that one town in Italy was using a couple of Gallardos as cop cars.

In Virginia Beach, they have an H2, but that one is marked. As far as unmarked, I have seen lots of Chargers recently, as well as a few Mustangs

Old 02-20-2009, 05:41 PM

7,376 posts, read 11,783,586 times
Not to argue with anyone, but if the car was truly "Undercover", you aren't seeing them. If they were that easy to spot, they would have no value..
You might be spotting Pool cars, but not cold cars... You're seeing the cars they don't care if you see..
These guys are doing dangerous jobs, narcotics deals, etc, and if everyone could spot them as easily as some of you say, there would be a lot of dead cops..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive