Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 02:09 PM

437 posts, read 929,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Not to be more technical, but no, 4WD and AWD, are not the same thing. While I generally don't like to bust chops over semantics, if you want to talk technical turkey in an automotive forum, even one on this site, you should try to get the facts straight.

From an industry perspective:

4WD = A non-permanent system that uses a selectable transfer case to lock/unlock drive axles. This system is the one commonly used on trucks and full sized SUV's and would be generally considered "real 4WD".

AWD = A permanent system that uses a series of sensors and differentials to automatically proportion power as needed between drive wheels. This comes in multiple styles and types from mechanical differential style systems like Torsen to part-time systems like Haldex.

To up the confusion factor a bit you also have hybrid systems like the ones on full size GM SUV's that allow you to use a selector to lock in the transfer case ala regular 4WD, but that also have a selection for "Auto" that locks in the drive axles, but leaves the diffs open until slip is detected, making it operate more like AWD.

This was the wiki style summary and both systems can get far more complex when dealing with the technical details, but, yes, from an automotive standpoint, there is a difference between 4WD and AWD.
ok ur being rude. ty for the lesson on vehicles but do you really need to be rude? ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 06:44 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
ok ur being rude. ty for the lesson on vehicles but do you really need to be rude? ugh.
I saw nothing rude in that post at all.

Plus, I am not sure it is possible to be rude to trolls.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:52 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post

well said

Old 03-05-2010, 06:52 PM

335 posts, read 1,310,940 times
Actually,it is still for sale at Ford.But 2011 will be the last year.It will be replaced by a Taurus based vehicle.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:52 PM

437 posts, read 929,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post

exactly who is the troll? calling another of ur species a troll would mean we are ALL trolls!

Old 03-11-2010, 02:14 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,136,769 times
A lot Crown Vic enthusiasts buy them used anyway, so there will always be auctions and fleet sales.

In a way this will reduce the factor of people not knowing whether or not a Crown Vic is a cop car or not and slowing down just in case.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
In rural South Texas, every full sized sedan looks like a cop car. All civilians drive pickups, so cops are easy to spot at a distance in the only sedans. Ive noticed the cops are starting to switch to trucks.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:39 PM

22 posts, read 144,051 times
Yup, you're right iColt1, 4wd and AWD are the same thing, except in the elitist mind.....

Old 03-12-2010, 10:02 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
No, iDolt1. That was not a rude post at all, this is a rude post. You're fundamentally wrong on a few things, buck up and get your facts straight.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:34 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stern View Post
Yup, you're right iColt1, 4wd and AWD are the same thing, except in the elitist mind.....
Thanks, no ones ever considered me an elitist before.

I really wasn't trying to be rude or indignant and I apologize if it came off that way. I was honestly just trying to explain the technical differences in the systems. Spread the knowledge, so to speak. I will admit that in a regular conversation a lot of people use the term interchangeably, but there is a significant technical difference especially when talking about a vehicles capabilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln