U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-23-2009, 06:03 PM

2,696 posts, read 4,690,480 times

Advertisements

I go for an oil change about every 1500K miles because my car burns oil. They say it is always low on coolant so they add it. I checked it cold today after about 700 miles and it was very low on the reservoir tank. After driving for a while I checked it again. It was higher--only slightly above the Min level but not too much higher.

After driving for 1/2 hour I felt the lower radiator hose which was cold. Upper was hot. Radiator wasn't hot either. It's cold here today in NJ.

About 1.5 years ago both radiator and thermostat were replaced. There are no obvious signs of leakage.

My heater works good. Water pump replaced back in 2000 about 80K miles ago.

Any ideas? Thanks.

fyi: Thermostat is located on lower radiator hose in this car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 06:26 PM

8,800 posts, read 22,801,765 times
I guess your question is either where the coolant is going, or why your radiator is cold.

To the first, look very carefully with a flashlight into the heater ducts to see if the heater core is leaking, also look carefully at your coolant for oil, and/or any sign of coolant in the engine oil. If you have oil/water mixing, this is usually the head gasket, but not always.

As to why your radiator is cold, if your engine is holding normal temp, and you have the heater on pretty high, the heater core may be providing all the cooling you need. The radiator is probably not stone cold, is it? What kind of temperature outside are you having, while this is happening?

Is your coolant temp gauge indicating normal, does it warm up in a reasonable length of time, say 3-5 miles and it's all the way up?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:37 PM

2,696 posts, read 4,690,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I guess your question is either where the coolant is going, or why your radiator is cold.

To the first, look very carefully with a flashlight into the heater ducts to see if the heater core is leaking, also look carefully at your coolant for oil, and/or any sign of coolant in the engine oil. If you have oil/water mixing, this is usually the head gasket, but not always.

As to why your radiator is cold, if your engine is holding normal temp, and you have the heater on pretty high, the heater core may be providing all the cooling you need. The radiator is probably not stone cold, is it? What kind of temperature outside are you having, while this is happening?

Is your coolant temp gauge indicating normal, does it warm up in a reasonable length of time, say 3-5 miles and it's all the way up?
Thanks for you reply Mitch.

1) I don't see any signs of coolant mixing with oil. There are no white spots or bubbles anything like that.

2) No the radiator is not stone cold. It is warm to the touch, but not hot. Here in NJ it was around 34 degrees.

3) Temperature gauge is a little below normal, but this has been happening for over a year now when I originally tried to fix my leaking radiator with some pepper. Temperature was never back to normal after that. It originally did fix the coolant leak but then it started leaking again so I replaced the radiator and thermostat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive