Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:48 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
It's strange why the high end cars like Benz, Beemer's, Acura and Audi still use the timing belt. My 1995 is equipped with a timing chain and that one less of a maintenance cost that I will have take care of.
They are using belts to make money off of the service. Chains are a thing of past and for most they last forever. I love timing chains!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 06:18 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,699,701 times
I don't think BMW has used a belt for over 10 years.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:07 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Not trying to criticize here, but this is why you should NEVER, EVER buy a vehicle equipped with a timing belt. One with a timing chain is much better b/c a timing chain will outlast the vehicle itself. There really is no excuse for a modern automobile manufacturer to still be using timing belts in their vehicles.
I hear you brother!!! Hard to find cars these days with chains though.

Everyone please list modern cars (preferably) Japanese made cars that still use Timing Chains. Yes I am looking for my next car and don't want to deal with timing belt BS!

Old 05-05-2009, 08:10 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
I'll take a belt over a chain any day. In the Jetta the timing chain guides start breaking up and the chain rubs them. Makes a sound like marbles in your engine. The tranny has to be separated from the engine to replace the entire system.

Throwing a $30 belt on the car every 60k-100k miles is much easier than dealing with the timing chain and designated systems.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,153 times
I need my timing belt done on my Pathfinder, where did you go to get this done at this price? Thanks

Old 08-14-2009, 09:50 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Not trying to criticize here, but this is why you should NEVER, EVER buy a vehicle equipped with a timing belt. One with a timing chain is much better b/c a timing chain will outlast the vehicle itself. There really is no excuse for a modern automobile manufacturer to still be using timing belts in their vehicles.
Your argument forgets to mention that timing belts do have some advantages over chains. Belts are quieter, simpler, and more efficient than chains. They are also cheaper. Yes they have to be replaced. But most of them last a very long time now - most Hondas spec 105K miles now.

In spite of their use of timing belts - Hondas and many other cars using them are highly desired and commercially very successful.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:59 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I'll take belts over chains any day. The cost to replace the belt in my car is $26 because I can do it myself. The cost to replace the timing chain and guides in my wife's VW is ~$1000 because you have to drop the tranny and I can't do it myself. Even if I could the cost of parts is around $200. You can hear the timing chain guide vanes and they are worn at 100k.

VR6 timing chain - CarSpace Automotive Forums

Yes, exactly. I change my own belt as well. Total cost including water pump, timing belt tensioner and 2 cam seals = $100.

Now if we are taking V8 domestic engines I have no problems with the chain.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
your argument forgets to mention that timing belts do have some advantages over chains. Belts are quieter, simpler, and more efficient than chains. They are also cheaper. Yes they have to be replaced. But most of them last a very long time now - most hondas spec 105k miles now.

In spite of their use of timing belts - hondas and many other cars using them are highly desired and commercially very successful.

+1

Old 12-24-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
I hear you brother!!! Hard to find cars these days with chains though.

Everyone please list modern cars (preferably) Japanese made cars that still use Timing Chains. Yes I am looking for my next car and don't want to deal with timing belt BS!
1999 Infiniti Q45 T

Old 12-24-2012, 12:26 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Just a personal opinion, but I would take a Milodon roller timing chain any day over a belt.... they last forever, (and perhaps when I had the serpentine belt fail on a 928, so I now have 32 bent valves as paperweights on my desk, I am a little biased). The best is true gear-drive, but it is a lot of work, as the camshafts have to be ground backwards, but you will never have to replace them again, for the life of the motor.
Be religious if your timing belt is on an interference engine, and the cost of a timing belt replacement is virtually entirely related to the model of car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive