Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

It worked out well for me;I was due a new vehicle. Got the vehicle 1000 below invoice and 0.9% financing .I priced the same vehcile a year before and couldn't come to a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 12:20 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It worked out well for me;I was due a new vehicle. Got the vehicle 1000 below invoice and 0.9% financing .I priced the same vehcile a year before and couldn't come to a deal.
An old maxim is that a deal that you're happy with is a "good deal".

That said, I'm finding that the discounts aren't nearly enough to keep GM and Chrysler out of bankruptcy. I'm even getting the "oh that's a hot item right now; can't keep any on the lot" crap from sales people. It's this kind of arrogant yet delusional behavior that will keep these businesses in the dumps.

In exchange for giving these losers a warehouse full of cash, the fed should have capped the price of vehicles at $20,000.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:43 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
In exchange for giving these losers a warehouse full of cash, the fed should have capped the price of vehicles at $20,000.
While this point could be debated I sort of agree with you. The price of average cars in the last 15 years has exploded. I'm talking about cars with the most basic features are just completely out of line on price. Even after discounts and incentives the cars are just not worth the price. When you can buy a car for $30k after discounts and incentives (The sticker price may have been $35k) and drive it off the lot and it's now worth $25k there is seriously something wrong there.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:47 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
While this point could be debated I sort of agree with you. The price of average cars in the last 15 years has exploded. I'm talking about cars with the most basic features are just completely out of line on price. Even after discounts and incentives the cars are just not worth the price. When you can buy a car for $30k after discounts and incentives (The sticker price may have been $35k) and drive it off the lot and it's now worth $25k there is seriously something wrong there.
I think its actually more indicative of the fact that wages have stagnated for all but the top 5% or so.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:20 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times
Quote:
You hit the nail on the head. Prices are out of line with the public's ability to buy. Now, if that's the way the Big 3 do business, that's their choice. But if they want to do business like this on our dime, then that changes things; we should have the right to demand certain conditions.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:35 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I wonder how much the Government-mandated stuff - airbags, OBD-II, 3rd tail light, the current tire pressure monitoring system - add to the cost of acar, compared to something from the 1980s? IMHO by the mid 80's the cars were certainly safe enough and clean enough, and didn't cost so damn much...

Old 03-06-2009, 03:00 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
I don't know if I'll ever buy a NEW car again...period. After doing it a couple of times I don't think I want anymore of that. I'd rather stick to 1-2 year old used and certified used cars. Basically just let some other sap take the 15-30% of first and/or second year depreciation.
Depends on the financing. If you can get a promotional rate at less than 5% and an extended warranty as part of the program, good deal. I prefer to buy new as I'm aware of the huge profit margins they get out of used inventory.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I had a nephew who worked for a large cadallic dealer. He said that a salesman can make alot more on used cars than new.But I agree that vehicles have gotten out of hand on price.I also liek to buy new unless I know the person and vehicle I am buying.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:44 PM

812 posts, read 4,081,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I wonder how much the Government-mandated stuff - airbags, OBD-II, 3rd tail light, the current tire pressure monitoring system - add to the cost of acar, compared to something from the 1980s? IMHO by the mid 80's the cars were certainly safe enough and clean enough, and didn't cost so damn much...
Certainly a decent amount. they certainly aren't throwing it in there for free. Such is life I suppose, from the government that values adding features over creating better drivers.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:10 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post

What is going to happen, now?
I don't really care of what's going to happen to the gasoline-based vehicles.

Everywhere you look, alternative-source cars are being invented.

Electric cars (one of them Zenn ZENN Motor Company ) (no, I don't want to plug it into the traditional power lines to charge it overnight. My own windmill would do).

Air cars (AirPod AirPod: AirPod is Like a Smart Car Full of Hot Air, and That's the Idea ) - 220 kms on one tank of compressed air. Zero emissions.

There is no shortage of brains out there.

Now, will our governements allow these vehicles travel on the road? That's the area we all should be lobbying our representatives.

These vehicles will be slower, (maybe), at 30-50 mph. Fewer road deaths, then, too. And it will still get you from point A to point B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive