Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 03:34 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,734,679 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am sitting in my MDX - far from a sports car. There is an older Acura TSX next to me (it has a dented left front bumper and he has some music blaring). He is taunting me by revving his engine, etc.

So he takes off and I just slowly accelerate, as I usually do. He is like 1/16 mile away waving his hands like he won the Daytona 500. I thought it was funny that there are people who THINK they are getting respect by this.

So are you a racecar driver at the stoplight? Even if your competition is like a station wagon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 03:52 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
I have a sleeper of a old VW bug that sounds like it has a loud hole in the muffler.

To the untrained eye or knowledge of VW's a person might laugh.

Kicker is that it's a custom built TURBO putting out 200HP built by a pro like yours truely...former NHRA licensed Dragster owner/driver. Steve

Old 03-07-2009, 05:19 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
Sounds like the typical ricer. They'll rev on anything to include school buses and people in wheel chairs.

The same clowns when you really are racing them....when you take them off the line and have proven your point and then slow down....they'll blast by you and claim a victory.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:23 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
When I had my blown Civic, it looked like a normal little civic. One time this guy on an Infiniti G35 pulled next to me, he gave me the 'I'm going to hand you your a$$". Ha! I wish I could post a pic of his face.
There was this other guy on a Saleen Mustang, we were at a stop light, he gave me the look and I just shook my head. He started revving so when we took off he was still spinning and I was gone. I pulled about 2 1/2 cars on him until we reached the next light. He rolled down the window and and said to me: "That's a fast car you got there", I said to him 'Yup, it kinda moves quick'.
There were many V8's that fell, as well as others until my wife's cousing came by with a 01 Camaro. I don't know what the hell he had done to it but this car plain out left me standing there. Later on he showed me a dyno pull netting 738 HP 720 TQ, I was like no wonder!!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:24 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,746 times
people do this to me all the time, and i never take the bait

when people in really slow cars who think they are fast barely pull you and you're not racing and then act as if they "won", just laugh

don't ever take the bait though, even if you can walk them, it's not worth the tickets and/or the risk

the biggest offenders I see are

slightly modified civics
"GT" mustangs (stock)
heavy as hell sport/luxury coupes (350Zs, Gs, BMW 3xxs, etc)
lifted trucks (for some reason, they think tall and loud = fast)

(Don't get me wrong, some of those cars *could* be set up for serious quickness, but it isn't likely)

Old 03-07-2009, 05:27 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
I drive 4x4's as they are trucks. I love you can't see the ther side of me. I have taunted the racers by gestures and grins, get them to squeal out of the light to see a cop on my other side.
One ricer at a time.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:01 PM

799 posts, read 1,445,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
"GT" mustangs (stock)

heavy as hell sport/luxury coupes (350Zs, Gs, BMW 3xxs, etc)

I'm guilty in both cases. I don't race on the street anymore because there is too much traffic these days but I did a lot of taunting in my younger days. We would pat our roofs or hoods or rub our dashes and it was on. It was so bad that I couldn't go anywhere without some ricer or bowtie boy taunting me at a light. I kind of miss it. Now traffic is so bad that we can't race on the steets without putting other people in danger.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:55 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
I just laugh as they waste gas and destroy their tires. I'm a working man. I can't afford to lose my license over something as stupid as that.

....mandatorily suspend a license for a conviction of any of the following offenses in Georgia or any other state:

7. Racing.

[SIZE=3]Under 21 Years of Age Suspension[/SIZE]

The driver's license of any person under 21 years of age convicted of any of the following offenses shall be SUSPENDED:

2. Racing on highways or streets.

A person whose driver's license has been suspended under subsection (a) of Code Section 40-5-57.1 shall:
....six months from the date on which the suspended license was surrendered to and received by the Department

Georgia Drivers License Points System

Old 03-08-2009, 04:46 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times
Yep, was stopped at a light on my moped.
Some guy on a Harley pulled up and showed me how loud his pipes were.
Light turned green. I guess he was so interested in showing off he forgot to put it in gear.
We both went in the drugstore about a half block away.
He got a couple cans of Red Bull.
I got some sinus pills.
I was ahead of him in the checkout line.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:44 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Reminds me of the Ford Thunderbird commercial. Thunderbird on one side, sports car on the other. Sports car guy's hot girl gets out, stands between the cars, raises her hand, drops her hand and the cloud of dust kicks up for the race. When the dust clears, the Thunderbird guy is still at the start and waives the hot girl into his car. The Thunderbird was a beautiful car but it wasn't a racer. It was a modern cruiser. Too bad Ford dealerships marked up the price to the point that sales declined and it was killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive