U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 05:38 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times

Advertisements

Is that the most reliable way to judge the overall quality of a car? A few years ago, I was looking for a used Toyota, and somebody told me about a nice Subaru. I got in, and slammed the door, and said "It's not a Toyota!".

I recall that my dad, the first time he ever saw a Mercedes, just stood there and kept opening and closing the door, in total amazement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 06:21 PM

7,475 posts, read 20,214,576 times
That is a great test if you're only interested in buying a door, but if you plan on purchasing the whole car, I might find a better way check it out.
Find a car you like and take it to a reliable mechanic to check out before you buy. It might cost you to have it inspected, but it's better than getting stuck with junk.
If you have a regular relationship with a garage you use on a regular basis, they would probably check it out for you for free....

Old 03-21-2009, 06:34 PM

6,654 posts, read 18,687,709 times
There is such a thing as "door sag" on the hinges. Not every car is the same. Closing the door gently and hearing the mechanism catch and lock the door shut mean that the alignment is okay. Look at the door moldings (if any)...check any door gap fom one side to the other for any space difference. Could have been a collision repair. Stand at the front or rear and look down the side for any wavy ripples.
Cars off the assembly line wil have easy closing of the doors...NO SLAMMING is needed. Steve

Old 03-21-2009, 06:38 PM

71 posts, read 220,106 times
Dont slam doors on any new cars. You may cause the side airbags to explode. I have seen it happen. You will own that car if that happens.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:22 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
That is a great test if you're only interested in buying a door, but if you plan on purchasing the whole car, I might find a better way check it out.
Find a car you like and take it to a reliable mechanic to check out before you buy. It might cost you to have it inspected, but it's better than getting stuck with junk.
If you have a regular relationship with a garage you use on a regular basis, they would probably check it out for you for free....
I have proposed a way to check out 20 cars for free. Your way would cost maybe $500-1,000 for 20 cars. I think I win.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:44 PM

157 posts, read 978,029 times
Hahahah. Is this a serious thread? Just slam the door and if it doesn't pop back open, buy the car. lol. Or better yet, if you pet the hood while the car is running, you can feel how good it is too. There are a multitude of better ways to inspect a used car besides a mechanic.......

Oh wait, am I serious? lol

Old 03-21-2009, 11:24 PM

7,305 posts, read 23,497,125 times
Yes, Mercedes doors do shut with a "solid thud". Mine shut easily and tightly. My Lexus is the same way. I think one reason is not only good latches and hinges (no sagging like someone else said), but some have more and thicker seals, making the door sound more solid.

Some cheaper cars doors shut with a "tinny clang".... maybe even some good cars. I know that on older cars, the door seals may weaken/shrink and make the door sound cheap when its not. One door on my '73 Pontiac sounds tinny/clangy when shut, but its where the seal is weathered. I dont think of a 150 pound door made of solid steel as cheap.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:34 AM

7,780 posts, read 18,464,824 times
totally 100% IMPOSSIBLE. Please people.. don't believe this hogwash. The front impact sensor MUST be tripped and its behind the front bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs C View Post
Dont slam doors on any new cars. You may cause the side airbags to explode. I have seen it happen. You will own that car if that happens.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:39 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,429,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
totally 100% IMPOSSIBLE. Please people.. don't believe this hogwash. The front impact sensor MUST be tripped and its behind the front bumper.
Yep. I about spewed my orange juice out when I read that. Its amazing the LIES people will tell these days.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:13 AM

3,553 posts, read 6,942,167 times
Quote:
Coffee through my nostrils too!

But it must be true, I read it on the internet.

This reminds me of the time a gas station flunky came out and told me I had to get off my cell phone while the pump was running. When I laughed at him about the recent fires, he upped the ante by saying that TWO OF THEM happened at this gas station! Funny, something like that might have made the news.

Quote:
I have seen it happen.
Yep, this extra validation should make it easier to sell. Like the guy who tells you about the "puppy in the microwave" or the "choking doberman" or the "guy sleeping in his camper while the cruise was engaged", never tells it about a random stranger, it's always "my next door neighbor's, cousins' hairdresser"!

golfgod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive