U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:31 AM

7,001 posts, read 14,451,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It was standard on the Fleetwood Brougham, optional on the DeVilles.
Same thing with the "dual comfort" front seats.
Thats what I was thinking. I am guessing most DeVilles in the early 70s had the option. Ah the Fleetwood... I am still longing for a 1971-73 Fleetwood Brougham sedan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 01:38 AM

8,446 posts, read 9,721,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Why did they stop making cars with vinyl tops? I personally thought the vinyl tops gave them cars alot of style and they were cool looking.
Many people thought disco was stylish and cool too. Fads come and go.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:45 AM

7,001 posts, read 14,451,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratford, ct. Resident View Post
many people thought disco was stylish and cool too. Fads come and go.
lol!

Im going to bed on that one!

Old 03-23-2009, 02:58 AM

36,415 posts, read 57,359,773 times
1) Because they were fugly; 2) because they had durability issues; 3) because they were fugly.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:07 AM

2,476 posts, read 4,986,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I have seen them on models in higher numbers as late as the 1990 Caprice Classic Brougham and 1991 Ford LTD Crown Victoria.... also some of the 90s Cadillac Fleetwoods had them. After that, most of the cars that had other those "carriage" like tops. Like someone else said, styles change... with todays new car styling, vinyl tops would not really seem to fit the look well.

Vinyl tops hit their peak in popularity in the entire decade of the 1970s and part of the 1980s. Mostly the upscale cars had the vinyl tops, but it was optional on cars even like the Buick Electra, Mercury Marquis, etc. Even the 70s Cadillac Calais models (base Cadillacs, it was not available), but I think it was standard on the next step up DeVille.

Yeah, rust is more common under the tops of vinyl top cars... water/moisture tends to loom under there, causing rust concerns.

My 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville has the optional vinyl top (its been replaced with a newer top), but I am taking it off this year, because I have noticed some rust bubbling up under it! I will probably end up just painting the top to match the car after I repair the rust.
Wasn't the vinyl top optional on the Deville? I always believed it was optional on the late 1960s Deville's

Old 03-23-2009, 03:08 AM

2,476 posts, read 4,986,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
1) Because they were fugly; 2) because they had durability issues; 3) because they were fugly.
I don't know about the durability issues but I've always thought they were attractive looking

Old 03-23-2009, 04:02 AM

18,416 posts, read 16,134,820 times
Quote:
I don't know about the durability issues but I've always thought they were attractive looking
Me, too. But more so on luxury and full-sized cars.
They didn't look "proper" to me on something like a Dodge Dart.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:14 AM

36,415 posts, read 57,359,773 times
Quote:
Bet you still like leisure suits and platform shoes too.

This video is dedicated to all you vinyl top lovers out there.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:44 AM

4,214 posts, read 11,954,392 times
Ha ha at :38 he's putting in an 8 track.

Not all cars looked bad with vinyl tops. Some muscle cars like Chevelles and Chargers I think looked good with them. But no I dont wear polyester or have an afro or sideburns or mood rings or them dang smiley faces like on Dazed And Confused.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:44 AM

687 posts, read 1,801,877 times
I've never seen a fully finished(seams filled and paint glossy)top under a origional factory vinyl top. Most were only semi finished. However, working at new car dealers in '69-'74, it was a popular option to dress up plainjanes or as a dealer offered incentive on a deal. The Pontiac dealer I worked at from '69-'71 offered them on anything, including a Firebird style that covered not only the top but the entire trunklid as well. Along with the vinyl tops came aftermarket, dealer installed porthole windows in the fat 1/4's of things like LTD's and Grand Prix's. Just about every new Grand Prix we sold had a vinyl top either factory or installed in the bodyshop.
They are notorious for trapping moisture, rusting underneath or becoming the ultimate "spoiler"...flapping in the wind as you drive down the road.
And of course, if you had to have a vinyl top......you had to get the landau bars with lights in 'em too......
The ultimate was of course the Chrysler 5th avenue fiberglass cap over a standard sedan roof!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive