Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 06:03 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times

Advertisements

if it was a year earlier I'd have taken the mustang ( and i'm not a ford guy ), as we don't yet care for the new styling tweaks on the current body. If I want "retro", then it better be retro. The Camaro has slowly grown on me, but for styling i'd have it at the back of the pack. Only my opinion, but having grown up in that era, and spent plenty of time in the "original" styles of these 3 cars, the Camaro has a bit too much Caddy in it's style. The Challenger is close, but as pointed out it does suffer from it's own size.
Now if i took a turn at the wheel of the SS, that may change my mind a bit. Maybe when the drop top version comes out, that may soften up the lines a bit and point me in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 06:21 AM

854 posts, read 2,862,574 times
like they're saying in the october issue of road and track: you want to be seen in a challenger, but you want to drive the mustang or the camaro. but in the end they're saying "decide which car you like to look at the most, after that you can't go wrong".

Old 09-05-2009, 06:27 AM

306 posts, read 636,211 times
There's something very special about driving a Hemi-powered car, even if it's not considered the fastest of the three. Hemicles for me.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:48 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times
the only thing I think of on these cars--and each one would be great to have in the garage..... is that for me they'd be a toy and nothing else. And if i'm tossing 30+k into something fun, i'd rather go and buy an original. Sure, they likely wouldn't be as fast, stop as well, corner as well, etc.... but it's the history and memories that i'd buy a car like this for.

But i just can't put the new versions ahead ( styling and feel wise ) over their original counterparts.... yet... so maybe i'd need to go do some testing, to get me out of the past...

Old 09-05-2009, 11:05 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,325 times
1. Performance:

it's not even a fair comparison. just forget about the Challenger - it doesnt even belong in the mix. but neither does the Mustang GT really. i mean, it's a 6.2 liter LSX!!! against what -- a 4.6L MOD and a small block hemi pulling a 4000 pound sports-luxery coupe.

a more realistic comparison would be vs. the GT500, which makes some 540 horsepower stock, which is for most intents and purposes, more power than it can use - so i still wouldnt be suprised to see the GT500 (Cobra) outperformed by the Camaro in most if not all measures of performance, the one question being the Camaro's excessive weight of some 3900 lbs.

i'm still used to the dynamic of the 90's: Dodge not even being in the mix. two V8 Mustangs that are pretty far apart in performance, and two V8 Camaros/(Firebirds) that were so close in performance that the SS version is basically an appearance package. meaning that the Mustang GT is so ridiculously outclassed by the Z28 as it were that the Z28 is more comparable to the Cobra as it were, and the SS meant you had a few extra thousand dollars burning a hole in your wallet.

2. Appearance:

start with the Dodge. and this is just my opinion, though i know i'm not alone. it used to look good in pictures, but when i've seen them up close they look like a characature of a muscle car. akward looking too. they look like a Chip Foose Cartoon. now they dont even look good in pictures anymore.

the Camaro: a bit of a bait and switch. and it would seem that it is still getting credit for the bait. awesome concept car that everyone fell in love with. then on the production model GM did everything it could to make the car blend in with it's competition. as ive said before, the concept car looked like it was chiseled from titanium - the production model looks molded from plastic. and it's a little cartoonish looking too. car has too much body by volume if you know what i mean. though i have seen a couple of V8 models finally, and they do look a lot better than the V6s.

The 2010 Mustang: i like what they did with the front end, although it looks almost exactly the same as the 2010 Camaro, it's still...a good evolution. and it's agressive looking, with a nice power bulge in the hood (mustang hoods have been too plain for too long) and excellent perportions as it relates to volume of body compared to the wheels. great stance too. almost a great looking car. almost a real winner. then they go and **** the whole thing up with that ridiculous ass end that they put on it, and add to that a lame attempt at brand recognition by giving it the same ugly tail lights that theyre putting on their pickups. it's like a beautiful woman with Quato sticking out of her back.

since they set out to make the car look more aggressive (like they did in '67), obviously the best thing they could have done for the ass end would have been to make it appear wider and recess the tail lights and all the features (like they did in '67). they did the exact opposite.

so for appearance, with all it's faults, i guess i would begrudgingly have to go with the V8 Camaro. and it's sad too, because Ford almost nailed it!

Old 09-05-2009, 11:12 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
the Camaro is the champ here...the Challenger is nice to look at tho'

Old 09-05-2009, 11:18 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
The Mustang is better, but old design now; the Camaro is the car to have; the Challenger is not a good driver.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:50 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,382,580 times
While the current Mustang's styling is evolutionary from the 2005-2009, I think they did a great job with the updates. It almost has a shark-like stance now. The rear is also growing on me as time moves on.

Both the Camaro and Challenger look really good, but each feel a little overstyled at times, IMO.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:21 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
While the current Mustang's styling is evolutionary from the 2005-2009, I think they did a great job with the updates. It almost has a shark-like stance now. The rear is also growing on me as time moves on.

Both the Camaro and Challenger look really good, but each feel a little overstyled at times, IMO.

I am a GM guy but man I love the look of the challenger I wish it's performance was on par with the camaro and I would really consider looking at one.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:36 PM

799 posts, read 1,444,712 times
I love the new Camaro and Mustang. I'm not too crazy about the Challenger. It's very dull compared to the other two. I'm a Fordman but my next car will probably be a Camaro. Ford did a great job with styling but the rear suspension and engines are weak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive