U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 603 times

Advertisements

mine alternates between full pedal and also only 2 inches of pedal. i slowly slowly leak fluid and replace a very minimal amount every couple of weeks. I don't want to do the full cluctch. Could the pedal bushings cause this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 01:47 PM

10,915 posts, read 41,465,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared99f150 View Post
mine alternates between full pedal and also only 2 inches of pedal. i slowly slowly leak fluid and replace a very minimal amount every couple of weeks. I don't want to do the full cluctch. Could the pedal bushings cause this?
a slow hydraulic leak can be either or both the master and clutch slave cylinders.

You'll need to clean them up and keep a close eye for any sign of fluid seep around them

The pedal bushings are a separate issue. Fix the hydraulics first, be sure that there's good bushing between the pedal arm and the clutch master rod, and then check the free play of the clutch pedal shaft.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:12 PM

13,483 posts, read 43,053,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared99f150 View Post
Make, model and year, plus a clear-eyed assessment of condition would help us here.

FWIW, if neither has been replaced in the life of the vehicle, *usually* the slave cylinder is the leaker. Usually.

You want to take care of this problem now while it's small and relatively cheap/easy fix. If you keep on driving and adding fluid, you may come to a point where the leak gets worse suddenly and you need a tow home.

If you will bleed some fluid through the system, so the fluid stays clear and clean, relatively dry, that will generally make the hydraulics last longer. Well-cared-for systems can last decades.

Unlikely that this has any effect on the clutch friction disc and pressure plate, but when that finally needs replacing, you have to do it regardless if you want to or not, either that or find another car to drive.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 348 times
Just had the same experience this am. 145,000 miles. Guess it was time for a new clutch and cylinder. $1500.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:22 PM

16,736 posts, read 17,885,630 times
Check the fluid in the reservoir. If it's still full you don't have a leak. The problem could be a broken clutch fork.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 14 times
I have a 95 Ford f150 the problem I am having is a new clutch pressure plate. The problem I am having is I push the pedal in and it feals normal, but doesn't go into any gears. Can someone please help me.

Old Today, 05:52 PM

16,736 posts, read 17,885,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmypets View Post
I have a 1999 Ford F-150,My problem is when I push in the clutch it goes all the way to the floor with the feeling of no pressure at all and cannot get it out of neutral into any gear! I just don't want to take it to a garage and get ripped off,I have had some friends say it appears to be the slave cylinder and much easier to fix than the clutch and would probably run $100-$150 where a clutch will run me at least $600.00. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
You probably have a cracked clutch fork. In 99 they were prone to cracking.

Find a empty parking lot and try to take off in a higher heat like 3rd great. If it slips you need a clutch. It should take a while to get going but it should be moving even if itís slow from a dead stop.there should be no slippage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or