Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 06:57 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Before you do that, phone your auto parts store and see how much replacement parts cost. Everything is proprietary, from wiper blades to license plate bolts.
+1 Power steering fluid on my wife's Jetta is $20/litre. That's just the beginning in that car. It's beyond ridiculous.

Most cars (including my "expensive" Volvo) use Auto tranny fluid or some derivative of that and it sells for $4-$5/litre.

VW's are beyond expensive. Expensive to buy and expensive to keep running, and IMO you don't get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 07:15 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Do you know of any 4-door "sports" cars?

To be technical about it, there is no such thing as a four door sports car, but that does not mean you can't find a sedan or coupe that performs well. Most sports cars, except for the high end, are spartan -- for a good reason :-)

Sports car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess BMW kind of has the sport sedan market cornered, unless you step up to the Merc price range. The Japanse have been gunning for the BMW sedans for a while, and some would argue they've scored a hit.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:29 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Quote:
I really did love my '99 Passat, but they just seem to fall apart after a few years. Do you think there's been an improvement in their reliability? If so, they'd probably shoot to the top of my list!
I had a 2003 Passat which I recently traded in for a Honda Accord. It was a great car for the first five years, but once the odometer passed 80K miles it began to nickel and dime me. I did manage to save money by finding a good mechanic and using aftermarket parts though. I've read that there have been improvements to the new Passat, so at the very least you'll get a good 5 years out of it before it starts to give you trouble providing you take care of it. Most cars are going to need the same type of maintenance at a certain mileage point, some are just cheaper to fix than others. My mechanic was the one who recommeded I go with a Honda or Toyota because they are much easier to fix. You save money not only on parts but labor.

If you plan on keeping the car longer than five years, go Japanese, if you plan on trading it in in five years or less, go German.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:08 AM

605 posts, read 2,989,036 times
Mini Cooper S Clubman (more money, but better on gas) or a Mazdaspeed 3 (faster, well under $25k).

Old 03-26-2009, 01:04 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Why not do it your self? I have bought cars since 20, and traded them myself! I never, had anyone but me do it! try the new Honda insite!? that might work! Frankly why bring the family all into what you want? And sure if you have an attorney, your sister, she has
no claim it a deal you are doing? That is real strange, and may also hurt you? If I were the dealer, I would say see you! Why not look at what you need,
not wish!
Ummmm... not sure I get what you're saying about my sister, but she is not a practicing attorney (just has the JD degree, but works in another field). And even if she were a practicing attorney, it's not like she'd bill her SISTER for services - LOL. That's the beauty of having a lawyer in the family, since you can use them for "free legal council" and negotiations. And literally the minute she says "I'm an attorney," the prices seem to fall dramatically.

To answer why I bring my family into it, that is simply because they know what they're doing, and I would get screwed. I know NOTHING about car prices, financing, interest, etc, and the salespeople would take full advantage of that. Plus, if I bring my father, they automatically give us more respect (since they assume women - especially younger ones - don't know about cars and money). Anyway, that's just how we do things, and really shouldn't have to explain it to anyone else!

Old 03-26-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
To be technical about it, there is no such thing as a four door sports car, but that does not mean you can't find a sedan or coupe that performs well. Most sports cars, except for the high end, are spartan -- for a good reason :-)
Yeah, that's why I put quotes around "sports" car... I guess what I meant was - is there a sporty car with 4 doors, that might drive like a sports car? I've only owned one 2-door car, and found it to be irritating with my bad back (having to lean when someone got in/out). Plus I have a large-ish dog who often rides with me, so roomy is always better!

Old 03-26-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Mercedes C300 or 350; look into $0 down, 3yr leases

Not sure any manual gearboxes (esp w/clutch wear vs SF hills) in <$50K cars are as fast, smooth and robust as latest MB autoboxes (even in spirited driving)

I can't recall if C350 Sport has paddleshifters, so one can drive in manual mode if desired

Nearly all the AMGs have paddleshifters; I drive an '09 CL65 and have never found myself faster or smoother in Manual mode vs Auto mode, even in spirited driving in Woodside mtns...computers are faster/smarter than most human gearbox inputs in today's cars...and the gearbox software is networked w/computers controlling car's stability controls, antilock brakes, etc etc....the traditional manual gearbox is a Luddite leftover, esp in today's tech-intensive MBs
You lost me with some of the technical stuff, but MBZ always sounds good. My mother currently has an E350 which I often drive, and it is a DREAM on the road... so smooth and powerful, I actually got a ticket in it for driving 90mph - and the cop was being generous, since I probably hit 105 a minute before he caught me. Whoops! He did laugh when he asked if I knew how fast I was going, and my response was "Nope - I'm used to driving a 4-cylinder Honda, and this baby really moves!"

Old 03-26-2009, 01:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Look at the new Camaro. Certainly sporty, not real luxurious. I have no difficulty getting my 170 pound mastiff into my back seat on an older Camaro (huge doors).

I really like the Subaru outback. I have been looking for an older one for my daughters. They are hard to find use. Subaru owners seem to keep them forever. I saw one for sale with 350,000 miles on it. I guess some of them keep going forever. I saw a lot of them in the Denver/Vail area in colorado. Maybe that is a good place to find a used one.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:20 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
If you want a Subie look in the NE. There are all over NH, VT, ME, etc. I'd be leery of the autos though my parents have had two and when the first one hit 130k the tranny had to be rebuilt. Expensive for an AWD car, around $3k if I remember correctly. Also gas mileage is low.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:14 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,289 times
Quote:
Do you know of any 4-door "sports" cars?
Saab 9-3 2.0T (2.0L 4 cyl turbo) 210 HP - FWD
Saab 9-3 Aero (2.8L V6 Turbo) 255HP - FWD
Saab 9-3 Aero XWD (2.0L 4 cyl turbo) 280HP AWD
Saab 9-3 Aero XWD TurboX (2.0L 4 cyl turbo) 280HP, 295 pound-feet of torque, bigger wheels & more sporty, AWD
Can get all of the above in 6-speed manual
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive