Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:50 AM

10 posts, read 61,137 times

Advertisements

6 months back I had a sunroof removed & the roof repaired, but the filler over the patch in the centre of the roof has now cracked, with a few adjacent cracks running off the sides of the main crack. The crack is approx 45cm long. Before I let the guy who done the body work attempt another repair, I'd like to know how it should be done to ensure it doesn't crack again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 05:16 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Do you live in the car?

Old 04-08-2009, 12:12 PM

946 posts, read 2,603,328 times
I don't know if you'll ever find a satisfactory answer to this problem. I did some research a while back on installing a sunroof--the roofs are designed differently. While it may be possible to cut a hole in a roof to install a sunroof, this doesn't take into account any of the design elements and the results will be less than stellar. I suspect the opposite is true. A roof that is designed as a hard shell doesn't have the same bracing and structural components that a sunroof-equipped does, which enables it to handle the stresses and movements of the car.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:18 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
peiece in. It is almost impossible to repair it so it won't show. The proper repair is to stitch weld a new panel in the hole. Welding a piece into a flat panel as large as a roof will almost always result in warping the roof.
Stitch welding is welding a very small spot, and then going to the other side of the panel and making a small weld. Then move to another spot and make a spot weld.You keep moving around so as to keep the heat down as much as possible. You continue to move around like that until the panel is completely welded in.
The purpose of moving back and forth like that, is to prevent warping, or at least keeping it to a minimum. The less heat build up, the less warping. As you can imagine, it take a skilled craftsman a very long time to stitch weld a large piece into the hole, and there is still no guarantee it won't warp. Most body shops wouldn't consider taking on the job, because they know the probability is slim of being successful, and it would cost you a fortune..... Time is money.
The other way to do it would be to weld very little, and fill in the joint area with bondo. If you want to know what happens when you do it that way, go look at your roof...!
If you want it perfect, replace the top..! I know that isn't practical, but you asked....

Old 04-08-2009, 05:23 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,135 times
The easiest and best way to me would be to replace the entire roof panel. Splice it in over the pillars. That way the repairs are in areas that are inherently stronger and flex less. I have replaced roof panels with very good results, on rollovers. I'd say whoever did it for you took on a project that was a lot of work and guaranteed to fail.

You are the first person I've ever heard of who wanted a sunroof removed and replaced with solid panel (other than classic car restorations). May I ask why you went this way?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:18 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Just for reference, what make year and model is the car/truck, and is this the removal of a factory-installed sunroof or one of the aftermarket ones?

Although, regardless, from where you are now, you have Donn's answer and Stans's answer, pick one, I don't think there are any other real alternatives.

Well, I can offer the "Ghetto" alternative of a vinyl roof installation - depending on what the car's worth, what you are willing to spend to repair it, may actually be the most practical approach...just don't tell anybody you got the idea from me, OK?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:56 PM

235 posts, read 773,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
The easiest and best way to me would be to replace the entire roof panel. Splice it in over the pillars. That way the repairs are in areas that are inherently stronger and flex less. I have replaced roof panels with very good results, on rollovers. I'd say whoever did it for you took on a project that was a lot of work and guaranteed to fail.

You are the first person I've ever heard of who wanted a sunroof removed and replaced with solid panel (other than classic car restorations). May I ask why you went this way?
I have to agree with you skin the roof would be the only way I would full ta hole in a roof,unless we were working on an older car and couldn't get the roof skin. At that point we would have to fab up a skin,Ive chopped tops and had to butt weld,(only way to weld it togetheris with a tig welder) to keep the heat down, & you steal have to use weld puddy. Another thing who ever said put bondo on and welding, well you should start with fiball from Upal,then plastic filler ,NOT,Bondo, use something alot beter!! You pay for with you get!! Even in arepair!!!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:28 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Yeah, good point, if the car is worth dumping some $ into, use this as an excuse to chop the top...

Old 04-09-2009, 05:55 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,135 times
Where's the OP? I'm wondering what kind of car this is, to maybe explain why the sunroof removal.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:38 AM

10 posts, read 61,137 times
What is the best shingle to use when reproofing a house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive