Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:08 PM

151 posts, read 344,975 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Anyone have any idea (guess or insider information) on when the Obama administration will pass a "Cash for Clunker" legislation?

Paul

ps. 1994 Chrysler Intrepid (just died on me today after leaving the coffee shop). It only has 172,000 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 11:23 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,093,513 times
I dont know. A co-worker of mine has a 1993 Chrysler New Yorker that he bought in 1995 that burnt up about a month ago. He was driving up the road and stalled and black smoke started boiling from under the hood.... when he raised it, the engine was ablaze! The got his stuff out of the car and while the car didnt entirely burn (thanks to the FD), it did burn the entire engine bay and smoked up the inside... it was a total loss, but he was fully insured. The car did have all kinds of leaks, but I think it was the gas leak it had that finally got it... on that engine (3.3L V6), when you leak gas on the engine, it goes all over the blazing hot manifolds. Some cars that have gas leaks are thankfully designed where gas dont hit hot engine parts.

I wonder if this "clunker" thing covers cars such as this?

Old 04-25-2009, 12:58 AM

151 posts, read 344,975 times
It sounds like his insurance will handle his car as a loss.

I believe they are voting on the Cash for Clunker legislation next week. Based on the fact that GM is closing almost all plants for as long as 9 weeks this summer due to excess inventory this bill may just get past and quick (I was ready to give up on this guy).

Paul

PS. I think the fuel pump went out

Old 04-25-2009, 09:13 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,731,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
... The car did have all kinds of leaks, but I think it was the gas leak it had that finally got it...
I'm watching a show right now with people caught on film doing all kinds of stupid stuff. Your coworker belongs on that show.

Cars with unsafe driving conditions shouldn't be allowed on the road - this one's pretty obvious. Just the other day on this board somebody was asking if they should repair a blown rear strut mount. They decided to keep on driving the car around, lost control and caused an accident with someone else.

I'm usually not a fan of bills like this, but if inventory is really this bad (and automakers understand that this won't happen again) they might as well go ahead and do it. I think in the grand scheme of things this probably won't be anywhere near as expensive as some of the other things the kind folks in DC are trying these days.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:22 AM

18,923 posts, read 43,219,633 times
According to what I have read it doesn't even have to be a clunker, it just has to be 8 years old or older. It doesn't say anything about the condition of the traded vehicle. Someone could trade in a ten year old car with only 40k miles on it and it would be considered a "clunker" under this bill.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,099,267 times
The only thing you can expect from Obama is heartaches and bewilderment.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Someone could trade in a ten year old car with only 40k miles on it and it would be considered a "clunker" under this bill.
Crazy isnt it? There are alot of nice 10+ year old cars out there with low mileage and/or still in very nice condition.

Here is my grandpas 1955 Cadillac with 58K miles and its still in pristine condition.... guess its considered a clunker.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:56 PM

True. This is a olde man in his 70s though and he did buy the car nearly new. Perhaps he didnt understand the dangers of his particular car leaking gas on the hot manifolds. I dont think he did it as an "insurance deal", because he didnt even know he still had full-coverage on the car... he thought his wife had cancelled it, but she didnt. She didnt even realize it either. It was not until he called to cancel the insurance that they told him it was insured. Also, the car had leaked awhile, because I smelled it and the car stalled and burned while he was driving. He even tried to put it out he said with wet leaves, as it was raining that morning.... unless he thought the leaves would cause it to burn more? J/K.

Obviously he didnt get alot of $ for it anyway... it was a nearly 17 year old car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I'm watching a show right now with people caught on film doing all kinds of stupid stuff. Your coworker belongs on that show.

Cars with unsafe driving conditions shouldn't be allowed on the road - this one's pretty obvious. Just the other day on this board somebody was asking if they should repair a blown rear strut mount. They decided to keep on driving the car around, lost control and caused an accident with someone else.

I'm usually not a fan of bills like this, but if inventory is really this bad (and automakers understand that this won't happen again) they might as well go ahead and do it. I think in the grand scheme of things this probably won't be anywhere near as expensive as some of the other things the kind folks in DC are trying these days.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:58 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,914,003 times
Default Consumer Assistance to Recycle and Save Act of 2009

House Bill Status - Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Old 04-25-2009, 01:01 PM

941 posts, read 3,893,475 times
I hope it gets shot down.

Obama included this bill in the stimulus package, but it was removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive