Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 05:04 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I wouldn't expect a full on portable body shop but honestly the ability to deal with a rust spot once you get the glass out would only require a wire wheel, cordless drill, some metal prep, and some touch-up paint.

He could paint it black and leave final paint touch up to the discretion of the owner - who could use brush on touch up or go to a body shop for a cosmetically better repair.

Repairing this is not going to require cutting the roof off or painting half the car...
No it's not, but personally I wouldn't let the cheapest guy the insurance company could find to do the job do body work on my car, nor would I even expect him to have the ability or offer to do it. And it IS a safety issue, the windshield is an integral part of the airbag system, having a weak spot such as a rusted out frame could cause the glass to pop out if the airbags deploy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 12:01 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
"Illegal" to replace the glass? I would ask to see the statute that says so. I bet the guy has no idea. It is always easy to say "illegal", because nobody questions it. I do, show me the Statute number, so I can look it up.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:21 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,715,154 times
Sorry for the "illegal" confusion. I beleive he said he would lose his license if he put the glass on with a rust spot like that.

Interesting idea about craigslist. What should I ask in my post for repairs? Just fix rust spot and???

Old 05-12-2009, 12:01 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,715,154 times
Update:

Got two quotes from local autobody places. Both were around $450 (mostly in labor) to fix this and repaint.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:08 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Offhand, that sounds reasonable to me.

Although, if you are handy, have a place to work, and can leave the car off the road for a few days, either a DIY or use of a Craig's list found itenerant body man would work.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:39 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
Sorry for the "illegal" confusion. I beleive he said he would lose his license if he put the glass on with a rust spot like that.
What license? I really doubt if the State business licensing authority (The Secretary of State in some States) really cares how he does his work, unless a lot of complaints come in.
His ASE certification? From some of the work I have seen put out by ASE certified "technicians", I doubt that,too.
Again, I would be tempted to say "Show me the regulation that says so!"
For me, if I wasn't retired, I would HAVE to be very careful, because the Feds (FAA) could pull my license (A&P license) just about any time they take the notion. In fact, since I haven't worked on aircraft for several years, my license isn't valid until I work under the direct supervision of a qualified A&P for 6 months, AND the license holder signs off on my qualifications.
Yes, losing a license can be a great deterrent, but I would like to know what license a glass installer or glass shop has that can be revoked!

Old 07-09-2009, 12:36 PM
swg

18 posts, read 57,441 times
Were you able to get it fixed? The same thing is happening to my Saturn. The glass shop I went to said they could replace it, but strongly suggested taking it to a body shop first because if the rust stays there, it will crack any new windshield that gets put in.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:43 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
From your photos the rust you see is just the tip of a rust iceberg on Volvo unibodies. My guess is that water has started to leak inside the "a" pillar making a repair dicey at best. If this has happened the sad news is the car may be headed for the scrap yard due to saftey concerns.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I defini6tely would ahve it fixed and frankly would have before this.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:41 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
From your photos the rust you see is just the tip of a rust iceberg on Volvo unibodies. My guess is that water has started to leak inside the "a" pillar making a repair dicey at best. If this has happened the sad news is the car may be headed for the scrap yard due to saftey concerns.
or, because it has a terrible turning radius...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive