Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 05:06 PM

3 posts, read 32,941 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am going to Meineke for brakes on Monday. I went to a local Meineke today for a brake job, but they were closing and to bring my 2002 Civic in on Monday. They said the Supreme is the best way to go, but because the economy is in the situation it is I may be able to get by with a Preferred brake job.

They did say I would save money in the long run because Supreme brakes last twice as along as Preferred brakes.

Anyone know which one I should choose. I have already ruled out the Basic Package because they said the brakes only last 3-5 months. I want something that will last.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 05:16 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Stuff like this... it's why I do my own work on the car.

Without any of the specifics on the actual brake pads (like who makes them and from what material) it's really impossible to guess the difference. Although I find it impossible to believe that they make brake pads that would only last 3-5 months. My BS meter went off the chart there.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:15 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
word.

Typically what you are looking at is some sort of semi-metallic vs ceramic pad. Either will last quite a while provided you are careful on the brakes. I use a semi-metallic on my rears and ceramic on my fronts simply because ceramic brakes don't produce as much visible dust generally have better wear tendencies. Personally if this is just a regular daily driver I would go with the cheapest brake service they have. Actually scartch that. Take it to another place and get another bid. Then compare. Then call around and ask what they would charge for that specific service with those items being replaced. Some places like to say "we can't do that we need to see it". Say thanks and hang up. Any reputable shop will you give an estimate based upon what information you give them.

If you go print up this 50% off coupon:

http://meinekesavings.com/meineke/un...87826a5c9c9f14

I went to a shop to have my oil changed and they quoted me $190 for ceramic pads and $140 for semi-metallic pads. $55 for rotors which actually was an OK price. I bought ceramic pads for $60 for the front and OEM branded rear pads for $35 (semi-metallic I think) and did them myself for the first time. Learned a lot too.

Last edited by wheelsup; 05-09-2009 at 06:30 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 07:03 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
a few observations:

1) Yes, there actually are "cheapie" pads made that won't go more than a few thousand miles before wearing out ... so 3-5 months would not be an exceptionally long life for them.

2) IMO, this is a car that gets a best all around combination of braking performance, low noise levels, and long wear on the OE spec pads in normal driving. I wouldn't change them to anything else unless you have unique driving demands requiring better than stock performance. The pads are reasonably priced at a dealer ... although dealership install brake jobs are usually astronomically priced.

If the rotors are OK, then replacing pads is a very trivial job on this car. A Haynes manual or a visit to your local library's automotive reference area (usually with Chilton's or Motor's manuals) will show you how to do this very easy work. Even if you only had hand tools to do this job and a small floor jack and stands (like the $18 set from Checker or comparable), this is less than an hour's work. Time well spent, IMO. An inexpensive torque wrench is very handy to properly install the wheels ... overtorquing these can warp the rotors on these cars.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:03 PM

4 posts, read 39,302 times
Can somebody tell me what type of brake pads to buy for my 2002 Lexus RX300? Semi-metallic or ceramic and what brand? Thank you bev

Old 06-29-2009, 03:54 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
I think what Sunsprit said about Honda brake pads can be applied to all Japanese OEMs - the factory brake pad is very good, for example on Subarus the factory brake pads come with all the clips and springs, and with good anti-squeal backing pads.

I definitely like Toyota's OEM brake pads, Lexus are the same or better, I would expect (never owned or worked on a Lexus)

Try Champion Toyota, 800-327-2087, they have good prices on Toyota parts, and probably also on Lexus.

Your Lexus is just old enough that I would suggest you check the brake discs for wear, they may be getting close to minimum spec depending on how many brake pads you have worn out on them.

Strongly suggest you bleed some new, clean brake fluid through each caliper before pushing the pistons back, don't push the dirty fluid from the caliper back through your expensive ABS and master cylinder. Be sure to withdraw enough fluid so you don't overflow the master cylinder when pushing back the pistons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive