Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:41 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times

Advertisements

A teens first car should be whatever is cheapest to insure since the odds are insurance may be more than the annual gas bill (and in some cases, higher than the value of the car, if you get a beater). If it's a case of dad spending more on the car and insurance so the son can spend less on gas, then so be it, but that "don't make no sense." If money isn't an issue get whatever. If it is an issue, talk to the insurance agent first, get some ideas about what costs a little less in the long run, use that to whittle down your list, then buy the car that best suits your needs (MPG, Chick Get-Ability, etc.)

As the owner of an S2000, I wouldn't encourage you to purchase one unless you've been to performance driving school or grew up racing something RWD, 2700 lbs and about 250 HP. S2K forums are ripe with spin out posts from young and old drivers alike. They're also cop magnets and expensive on insurance.

I like these somewhat anemic FWD cars from Scion and the others. You know the ones like the Xd or Kia Soul or Nissan Cube or whatever. Kids can mod them on the cheap to look really "cool" yet they don't pose much of a risk in terms of insurance, street racing, doing donuts and burnouts in the school parking lot, etc (unless the kid slaps a turbo on there, lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 10:10 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
i'm also familiar with the s2k ( daughter's bf has one ); though his will shortly be near 450hp after turbo is finished. So traction may be a bit of an issue, if that rear end can finally hold up.

back to OP: my only suggestion on a v6 would be a winter benefit if you live in the snow belt. We have had plenty of front drivers over the years, and the heavier v6 ( while a mileage penalty during normal useage ) can be a positive with some extra girth over the drive wheels.
MPG on a 4 isn't always that strong, esp if it's a bigger block or a performance motor. My wife's TC with the 2.4 when stock maybe got upper 20's for mileage; then that dropped several when we put on a supercharger ( amongst other add ons ). PLus add in premium fuel requirements. So not the cheapest small car to drive, but we can afford to enjoy a toy .

As for your first car, there are plenty of economy cars that can also allow for some style and personalization, without going overboard on insurance costs. Our daughter's first car was a Sunfire, then up to an Ion ( both manual trans, but that's a topic for another day ). Now she owns a TC, which like her bf's s2k will also be turbo'd in the future.
Moral of that story--start off with basic transportation, then move up when you can afford to... and don't speed!!!!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:08 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Well, if dad is setting the rules, he's probably paying the insurance. Besides, when is insurance on a 16 yr old male not high?

cls152, go get a Civic Si sedan- 4cyl, almost as fast as an S2000, safer with fwd and stability control, lower insurance and cheaper tires. Other options would be a Mazdaspeed3, Golf GLI, or Nissan SE-R.

Insurance on Civics is hellaciously expensive.

That's what happens when a car is the most stolen in the USA...

The Civic Si takes premium juice as well.

Unless my Honda auto tech brother has been lying to me all these months...but, I doubt it, since we room together and I've seen his car two spots from mine under the covered parking.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:11 AM

890 posts, read 3,701,207 times
My first car was a Toyota Previa van. Sure it was not sexy and it was slow as molasses on a January morning (0-60 in about 14.1 seconds) but it was a car and I was happy to drive it. Sure enough, I got a new car with more power (a V6) and within 10 months I got into an accident with it because I was driving too fast. I was unhurt, the car was repaired and I still drive it to this day. Thankfully it was a single-vehicle collision so I didn't actually run into anybody.

But take it from me; make sure your first car is completely gutless. You may want something fast and sexy but at that age, you simply aren't experienced enough to handle the kind of power most higher-end cars bring. I'm not saying it to be mean, I'm speaking from experience and I know now why my dad would never let me drive his turbo Saab.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:10 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
If you're young, get a big ol' tank that sucks down gas but is easy to insure. Why do you think all the young thug-looking types are out there driving Buicks and Cadillacs? Sure, part of it is image, but it's also because they save as much as thousands of dollars on insurance.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,053 times
Default mpg differance

It is doesn't mater what is differance is, listen to your dad it will pay many times on the long run! take my word for, you will not regret! He will help you if anythig goes wrog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive