U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 01:25 PM

533 posts, read 1,605,965 times

Advertisements

let me start by saying i don't know anything about cars my hyundai elantra 2006 has an issue lately...when i start my car and it idles the engine revs without me touching the gas. it will go up to aound 2.5 rpms and back down. it doesn't stay at zero when it doesnt rev, but around .75.

now, i am nervous about this because last week i lost control of my car in the rain (going on an on-ramp too quick and the back wheels gave out). i ended up doing a 180 over a curb and onto grass, but i heard the bottom of my car scrape and such and i don't know if i messed something up. i feel like it sounds different when i drive, but i am not sure if that's only in my head or not.

hopefully i gave the right info and described the issue in a coherent manner. any ideas what's going on with my car? is that normal? my boyfriend said to just leave it for now and see what happens since i don't really have the funds to get it checked out just yet. so any advice is appreciated. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 02:01 PM

13,453 posts, read 42,952,749 times
Offhand from what you post it appears you damaged part of the exhaust system in your "agricultural" excursion. Possible you damaged one or more oxygen sensor.

As soon as you can, try to get the car on a lift and get somebody who knows what they are looking at to take a look

If you have damaged the o2 sensor, it could eventually lead to damage to your catalytic converter, that can get into money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or