U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:15 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,042,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
The OWNER of the dealership told me I did not have to disclose that the engine was replaced!!!!
As other posters have said, if you sell the car tell the buyer the engine was replaced and what dealership replaced it. Cover your butt and avoid a lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 08:27 PM

3,492 posts, read 2,070,045 times
YOU can certify anything you want.
If I was selling the car, I would be sure the buyer knew that the engine had been replaced, and that it was NOT a new or rebuilt engine, and I did not know the actual miles on the replacement engine.
I wonder how many States keep records of engine numbers? I know Montana doesn't. In fact, many vehicles don't have engine serial numbers!

Old 05-31-2011, 10:12 AM

4 posts, read 31,872 times
It's nice to know theses things I am planning to sue a dealer for misrepresenting the car we bought there is a 02 neon engine in our 06 sebring. We would be fine with it except some parts don't interchange and now we have a big issue with the car like the timing belt is going out and the mileage says 73000 and we have done nothing but fix the car since we got it in december. They sold it to us as if it were new if they would have told us to begin with that it had some issues or that the engine was replaced we would not worry so much. Prolly not have bought the car but if we still did we would atleast be glad they were honest and fix it ourselves. So be honest say what's up with the car. And if the dealer does not disclose any discrepancies of the milage they can be in trouble it is law in Indiana anyhow to disclose any mileage discrepancies.

Last edited by moi.y.britt; 05-31-2011 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: used phone to type it typed wrong words

Old 05-31-2011, 10:16 AM

1,670 posts, read 2,696,591 times
Tell them how many miles were on the car when the engine was replaced and how many miles were on the other engine when it was put in

Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 AM

4 posts, read 31,872 times
How can you find out how many miles are on the engine is it possible to find out if the dealer doesn't say

Old 05-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Status: "The Union forever! Down with the traitors." (set 18 days ago)

13,669 posts, read 17,522,791 times
Quote:
The owner of Massey Saab/Cadillac, Bill Hull, told me that I can still sell my Saab as true miles known, even though they replaced the engine on it with a used engine (their mechanic destroyed my engine by dropping a bolt and starting the car).

Is he correct?
It depends on the individual odometer reporting laws in your state. In most cases a vehicles mileage is considered the amount of miles accrued on the chassis/frame of the vehicle. As long as this mileage is correctly reported than it doesn't matter what the status of individual components are. So, if you were to sell your car, you should advertise it as having the chassis mileage.

As for the engine, that all falls to state law as well. Some require disclosure at time of sale, others do not. If it were me, I would advertise it this way:

Saab with XX,XXX miles. Engine replaced at XX,XXX miles with used engine that had XX,XXX miles on it, then provide the reason why. This is the honest thing to do. IMO, they are a dealer and should have replaced your engine with a factory replacement, or compensated you for diminished value for having a used engine put in the car. Your car is certainly worth less today with the used engine than it was with the original. The only caveat to that is an older or high mileage car, where the engine replacement makes sense.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moi.y.britt View Post
It's nice to know theses things I am planning to sue a dealer for misrepresenting the car we bought there is a 02 neon engine in our 06 sebring. We would be fine with it except some parts don't interchange and now we have a big issue with the car like the timing belt is going out and the mileage says 73000 and we have done nothing but fix the car since we got it in december. They sold it to us as if it were new if they would have told us to begin with that it had some issues or that the engine was replaced we would not worry so much. Prolly not have bought the car but if we still did we would atleast be glad they were honest and fix it ourselves. So be honest say what's up with the car. And if the dealer does not disclose any discrepancies of the milage they can be in trouble it is law in Indiana anyhow to disclose any mileage discrepancies.
Mileage is tied to the vehicles chassis, not the engine. Chances are they violated no laws in terms of odometer disclosure. After that you need to find out whether or not there are state laws for disclosing deficencies. In states where this is required, engine replacement is generally a required disclosure. I would contact an attorney, but chances are you may be SOL.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moi.y.britt View Post
How can you find out how many miles are on the engine is it possible to find out if the dealer doesn't say
There's no way to know unless they swapped the PCM from the replacement engine and left the original odometer mileage in there. You may be able to back track it by having a dealer pull the engine VIN and finding the VIN of the car it was installed in. You could then run a title report or CarFax on that car and get an approximation.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:45 PM

19,127 posts, read 11,602,838 times
Quote:
The owner of Massey Saab/Cadillac, Bill Hull, told me that I can still sell my Saab as true miles known, even though they replaced the engine on it with a used engine (their mechanic destroyed my engine by dropping a bolt and starting the car).

Is he correct?
Your tech did what,???? and just how was this accomplished? Where did the bolt get into?

How many miles, and which Saab is it?

Is the new engine better than the old one? Newer?? Less hours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive