U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 01:01 AM

890 posts, read 3,141,869 times

Advertisements

You'll be fine.

I use synthetic because of its better characteristics, cold weather driving, and improved fuel economy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 07:13 AM

3,440 posts, read 7,047,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Putting synthetic oil in a normal car used for normal duties is like insisting on sterling silver eating utensils when stainless steel will work just as well. If that's what you want to do, then great for you. And if you also want to pretend it makes a big difference, well that's fine too. Just don't ask me to play along.

I don't have to send oil samples off anywhere. I have owned numerous high-mileage cars, many of which basically disintegrated around perfectly running engines, lubricated with good ol' fashioned dino oil changed at the proper intervals. I save the synthetics for the turbocharged cars.

Did you know in the ancient days royal family's insisted on silver utensils due to the fact that silver has natural antibacterial property's and one could detect if there was poison in the food from the reaction with the silver?

As far as sending off oil samples the mere fact that you dismiss my suggestion is now showing that you are making a decisions out of emotions instead of logic.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:54 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
I have kept several cars well beyond any reasonable life span. The Olds 350 in my 1970 PUT lasted well over 450k and is still running. I use Pennziol and change oil and filter every 3 - 4 k. Running the engine to get it up to temperature to boil out the water every once in a while and dropping the oil to remoce sludge is more important than type of oil.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:57 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I know. For every person who claims "my car has 300k mi on it because of synth oil" there are a hundred others who can say "my car has 300k mi on it because of dino oil". Just keep the oil changed regularly and the engine will be fine. If you want to spend more on synth oil, or change your oil excessively, thats your perogative.
Yep, that's pretty much it.

What I'm doing seems to be working, so I'm going to keep doing it. Plus, honestly, it isn't engine wear that is the death of most cars. Usually it's all kinds of other stuff.

Happy driving! v

Old 05-27-2009, 09:10 AM

10,700 posts, read 20,119,835 times
Even if the engine wears it's not the end of the engine. My wife's car burns a quart every 600-700 miles. We just keep putting oil in.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:41 AM

3,743 posts, read 10,926,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Did you know in the ancient days royal family's insisted on silver utensils due to the fact that silver has natural antibacterial property's and one could detect if there was poison in the food from the reaction with the silver?

What do you consider "ancient days"? Bacteria wasn't discovered until the 17th century... :shrug:

Last edited by Sayantsi; 05-27-2009 at 09:49 AM..

Old 05-27-2009, 11:21 AM

13,752 posts, read 18,393,018 times
Quote:
As far as sending off oil samples the mere fact that you dismiss my suggestion is now showing that you are making a decisions out of emotions instead of logic.
Exactly. It's been proven time and time again that synthetic oil is far superior and is better for ANY car.

My Mustang GT runs Amsoil or Mobil 1 full synthetic. Been that way since the original owner did the first oil change and it has 220k miles on original engine now.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:15 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Quote:

So wait, you're worried about someone poisoning your engine and that's why you use synthetic?

And no. I'm making my decisions based on 1) decades of personal experience, and 2) literature about the longevity of engine life with dino versus synthetic oil being insignificant as long as you change it at the proper intervals.

If wasting money works for you, go ahead keep doing it. What I do has worked for me too, so I'll keep doing what I do.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:17 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So wait, you're worried about someone poisoning your engine and that's why you use synthetic?

And no. I'm making my decisions based on 1) decades of personal experience, and 2) literature about the longevity of engine life with dino versus synthetic oil being insignificant as long as you change it at the proper intervals.

If wasting money works for you, go ahead keep doing it. What I do has worked for me too, so I'll keep doing what I do.
Would you post links to some of that literature you mentioned in #2? I'm actually very interested to see what the stats show. Thanks!

Old 05-27-2009, 12:19 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Would you post links to some of that literature you mentioned in #2? I'm actually very interested to see what the stats show. Thanks!
I didn't read it on the web but if it's there you can find it as easily as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive