U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-27-2009, 12:40 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Reputation: 3868

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I didn't read it on the web but if it's there you can find it as easily as I can.
Actually, I was asking that more for your credibility than for my information.

But thanks anyway.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2009, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Reputation: 29355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Actually, I was asking that more for your credibility than for my information.

But thanks anyway.
So I take it you have links to literature showing how engine life is substantially improved by using synthetic?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2009, 12:53 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So I take it you have links to literature showing how engine life is substantially improved by using synthetic?
Nope, not off the top of my head.

But here's the deal... YOU are the one who is making broad, sweeping judgments about synthetic oil - how it's over-priced, it isn't any better, and people who use it are wasting money.

I'd think you'd want to have some credible evidence to back up such bold statements. That's all.


When I lived up in the far North, I ran full-synthetic during the winters. Hands down, no question, vehicles are easier to start in extreme cold, when it's synthetic oil in the crank case.

I now run synthetic-blend in all my vehicles.

All my vehicles are extremely high mileage (except my motorcycle). While much of that longevity is due to all-around good maintenance, I believe part of it is due to the lubrication I get from synthetic-blend oil. Therefore, I'm not going to stop using synthetic just because you say it's a waste.


It is fully within your right to refuse to use synthetic oil. But you might want to be careful about being so judgmental and condemning of those who do use it - especially in light of the fact that you don't have any sources to back up your argument.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2009, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Reputation: 29355
The credible evidence is the experience of tens of millions of people who use conventional motor oil every day without having their engines prematurely break down. And if that's not good enough for you, ask your mechanic.

One of the supposed benefits of synthetic oils is longer service intervals. Which is great, as long as you don't mind your oil collecting more contaminants because it's in the engine for a longer period of time. If the goal is to extend the life of the oil, then go ahead and use synthetic. If the goal is to extend the life of the engine, then the oil should be changed at the recommended interval whether it's synthetic or conventional.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2009, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,752 posts, read 18,393,018 times
Reputation: 8941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The credible evidence is the experience of tens of millions of people who use conventional motor oil every day without having their engines prematurely break down. And if that's not good enough for you, ask your mechanic.
There is nothing wrong with conventional oil, however synthetic is superior is every way imaginable.

Quote:
One of the supposed benefits of synthetic oils is longer service intervals. Which is great, as long as you don't mind your oil collecting more contaminants because it's in the engine for a longer period of time. If the goal is to extend the life of the oil, then go ahead and use synthetic. If the goal is to extend the life of the engine, then the oil should be changed at the recommended interval whether it's synthetic or conventional.
A close friend of mine ran his 1995 Mustang GT for 3000 miles with conventional oil, and then 3000 miles with synthetic and had oil samples shipped off to one of those laps who checks it out. The synthetic was much cleaner, had not yet begun to breakdown and was only a few dollars more expensive.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2009, 02:25 PM
 
890 posts, read 3,141,869 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
One of the supposed benefits of synthetic oils is longer service intervals. Which is great, as long as you don't mind your oil collecting more contaminants because it's in the engine for a longer period of time. FALSE If the goal is to extend the life of the oil, then go ahead and use synthetic. If the goal is to extend the life of the engine, then the oil should be changed at the recommended interval whether it's synthetic or conventional.
One of benefits of synthetic is keeping the oil cleaner longer thus the longer service intervals.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2009, 09:35 PM
 
3,743 posts, read 10,926,198 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The credible evidence is the experience of tens of millions of people who use conventional motor oil every day without having their engines prematurely break down. And if that's not good enough for you, ask your mechanic.

One of the supposed benefits of synthetic oils is longer service intervals. Which is great, as long as you don't mind your oil collecting more contaminants because it's in the engine for a longer period of time. If the goal is to extend the life of the oil, then go ahead and use synthetic. If the goal is to extend the life of the engine, then the oil should be changed at the recommended interval whether it's synthetic or conventional.

There's a dearth of real evidence showing synthetic's superiority over dino oil. Sure it may lubricate better, but the difference is so minute it doesn't matter in real life/application. Besides that, oil filters still need to be changed on shorter intervals regardless the type of oil you use, which also negates synth's advantages.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 PM
 
3,743 posts, read 10,926,198 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
One of benefits of synthetic is keeping the oil cleaner longer thus the longer service intervals.

Oil is a sponge for contaminates - it suspends them and the filter collects them. Synth lasts longer because it doesn't break down like dino oil does, but the filter still needs to be changed.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2009, 09:49 PM
 
3,743 posts, read 10,926,198 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
There is nothing wrong with conventional oil, however synthetic is superior is every way imaginable.

A close friend of mine ran his 1995 Mustang GT for 3000 miles with conventional oil, and then 3000 miles with synthetic and had oil samples shipped off to one of those laps who checks it out. The synthetic was much cleaner, had not yet begun to breakdown and was only a few dollars more expensive.

I agree synth oil is superior, but in daily use, the question is, is it needed? Is the monetary cost worth it given the small difference in benefit?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 12:47 AM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,752 posts, read 18,393,018 times
Reputation: 8941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I agree synth oil is superior, but in daily use, the question is, is it needed? Is the monetary cost worth it given the small difference in benefit?
In my opinion, yes.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top