U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:49 PM

1,646 posts, read 4,715,767 times

Advertisements

We’ve been putting synthetic in our cars. But my wife got the oil changed at Jiffy Lube and forgot to tell them to put synthetic in. Is it going to hurt the car to go back to regular from synthetic? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 01:06 PM

6,370 posts, read 10,456,897 times
No, but next time I would use synthetic. And only go 3k or so with dino in there.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:22 PM

36,588 posts, read 57,867,463 times
Not only will it not hurt the car, but synthetic is a waste of money in most cases. Unless your car has a high-strung engine with very tight tolerances and the manufacturer recommends synthetic (Corvette ZO6 for instance) or it has a turbocharger, I wouldn't bother with it. A possible exception might be if you live in a cold-weather climate, then synthetic can make cold-weather starting easier. In the middle of the summer... forget it, go with standard dino oil.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:33 PM

21 posts, read 26,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
We’ve been putting synthetic in our cars. But my wife got the oil changed at Jiffy Lube and forgot to tell them to put synthetic in. Is it going to hurt the car to go back to regular from synthetic? Thanks in advance.
You're fine.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:34 PM

21 posts, read 26,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not only will it not hurt the car, but synthetic is a waste of money in most cases. Unless your car has a high-strung engine with very tight tolerances and the manufacturer recommends synthetic (Corvette ZO6 for instance) or it has a turbocharger, I wouldn't bother with it. A possible exception might be if you live in a cold-weather climate, then synthetic can make cold-weather starting easier. In the middle of the summer... forget it, go with standard dino oil.
Synthetic will actually lubricate a little better. But a synthetic blend will do just as well - unless, as you point out, you're in an extremely cold climate in the winter.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:38 PM

6,370 posts, read 10,456,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not only will it not hurt the car, but synthetic is a waste of money in most cases.
I disagree. Most good synthetics can go double or triple the time between change over a comparable dino oil without breaking down. If someone drives a lot per year this can save them time and equal out in terms of $$.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:48 PM

Yes, synthetic will lubricate "a little better." But the benefits from that a-little-better lubrication in terms of longevity and even extended oil change intervals do not outweigh the extra cost of synthetic oil.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I disagree. Most good synthetics can go double or triple the time between change over a comparable dino oil without breaking down. If someone drives a lot per year this can save them time and equal out in terms of $$.
Right, like I said, in "most cases" as opposed to the outlier scenario you provide. But even in your outlier scenario, it may not be the case. There is ample evidence even from high-mileage vehicle fleets (where every dollar matters) that the benefits of synthetics are not sufficient to recapture the higher cost. The bottom line is your average Joe driving an average-Joe car back and forth to work does not need synthetic.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:10 PM

1,646 posts, read 4,715,767 times
Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll go dino from now on.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:37 PM

3,494 posts, read 6,644,764 times
All oils lubricate - use the correct weight and your good to go. Synth oil doesn't shear down like dino oil will over time, so it lasts longer, but for the cost and the fact that you still need to change the oil filter, you might as well just go with dino oil.

No one has ever heard of an engine that seized up because it ran dino oil instead of synth oil. The fact is, today's maintained engine will outlast the car its in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive