Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 03:10 PM

120 posts, read 713,608 times

Advertisements

Car gurus, need help. (I posted this in another forum but have been asked to post here)

My 98 Corolla LE (90K miles) have the check engine light on while driving and when I checked the code at the shop, it shows p0420. The tech told me it needs a Catalytic Converter replacement, which may cost $950 (for the toyota one) and two hours labor ($150). He suggested the after market ones may be available for less than $500. According to him, the OEM would perform 90% up-to-the spec where as the After market ones would be only 30%.

My car itself may be worh 3.5K so I am confused what to do.

Inspection is due this month, so I cannot just ignore the light and continue drivng.

Car gurus, what are your thoughts ? what options do I have ?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 04:21 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,462,584 times
Well, the diagnosis is spot on assuming the sensors have been tested to be in working order.

One bad thing about aftermarket jobs is that they, well, you get what you pay for. You get less material in them and you may not solve the CEL issue.

It's up to you there. You car has tons of life left in it, so even a $1000 fix may not be too much to ask in that regard.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:18 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,859,754 times
I am surprised a low mileage Toyota needs a new Catalytic Converter converter. I would make sure it's not an O2 Sensor first.

Regardless of what option you chose I think you car has many more miles to go. Any previous trouble with your Corolla?

Old 06-06-2009, 05:41 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,983,451 times
If your area doesn't have emissions testing, why not just have a piece of exhaust tubing welded in place of the cat? You'll probably pick up some fuel mileage and horsepower while the cost should be less than $100 at any local muffler shop.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:53 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,766,253 times
junkyard?

Old 06-06-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
If your area doesn't have emissions testing, why not just have a piece of exhaust tubing welded in place of the cat? You'll probably pick up some fuel mileage and horsepower while the cost should be less than $100 at any local muffler shop.
Well he said "Inspection is due this month, so I cannot just ignore the light and continue drivng": so I assume he has emission testing.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
junkyard?
He'd be much better off getting an after market Catalytic.

And that would be my advice to the original poster get an after market Catalytic Converter. Actually they are much cheaper than what your mechanic quoted. Google it online. Installation should be no more than $150 and even at that price they are making a decent profit.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:35 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,572,060 times
Be sure to check the emissons wanrranty because it longer than the standard warranty. I think however that its five years but be sure.If your going to keep it I'd get it fixed. However the new aftermarket has top meet federal regulations ;so I thnik taht the shop is givin g you a line. Also if you had a stright pipe installed that would be illeagl and you could be sued by anyone you sold it to. I's also check with muffler shop on price as that is high.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:23 PM

773 posts, read 2,620,740 times
Causes
A code P0420 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
  • Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for
  • An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
  • The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly
  • Damaged or leaking exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / exhaust pipe
  • Retarded spark timing
  • The oxygen sensors in front and behind the converter are reporting too similar of readings

Possible Solutions
Some suggested steps for troubleshooting a P0420 code include:
  • Check for exhaust leaks at the manifold, pipes, catalytic converter. Repair as required.
  • Use a scope to diagnose the oxygen sensor operation (Tip: The oxygen sensor in front of the catalytic converter normally has a fluctuating waveform. The waveform of the sensor behind the converter should be more steady).
  • Inspect the downstream heated oxygen sensor (HO2), replace if necessary
  • Replace the catalytic converter

OBD-II Trouble Code: P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

There is also a Toyota Technical Service Buletin #02404 on faulty P0420 readings: http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/sk...102_04_cam.pdf

Old 06-06-2009, 07:44 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,827,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That is illegal, and no shop would touch such an assignment, and chance losing their license, and perhaps some jail time..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive