U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-06-2009, 10:53 PM

3,823 posts, read 10,091,940 times

Advertisements

I have a 2004 Ford Taurus and have a problem(s) with the instrument panel. Many times when I start the car the tachometer needle will stay on 0 and vibrate for about 10 seconds before resuming normal operation. At the same time, the gas and temperature instrument needles will remain at zero until the tachometer needle returns to normal. One other thing, sometimes the brake light and fuel gas cap lights will stay on after the car starts, and other times they will go off right away.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 11:14 PM

43,442 posts, read 47,381,981 times
Not sure but I would want to check the instrutment ground if they all are acting likie thsi at the same time.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:53 PM

565 posts, read 535,140 times
I moved from San Diego to Colorado last month and everything has been fine, but tonight leaving work, I noticed the engine light came on and didn't go off. I checked the manual and one of the possible causes was the gas cap being off. I checked the gas cap, and sure enough, it was off-which is odd in itself because it has been a couple of weeks since I got gas.

Anyway, I screwed the cap back on and turned the car back on and drove around the block, but the engine light was still on. Anybody got any ideas?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 PM

3,188 posts, read 1,761,848 times
I have a 2004 also. Mine will do the same thing and I found the fix is to just cut it off and then restart the engine. My cel doesn't come on when this happens. If the CEL comes on and then you correct the problem causing it you have to drive the car sometimes for several hours for the main computer to recycle and then reset itself which will turn the CEL off. If This doesn't happen you need to get it scanned and see which code or codes come up.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:46 PM

15,231 posts, read 7,668,541 times
check the grounds for the dash. if they are good, then have your local shop check the condition of the charging system, and do an amp draw test. i had an amp draw that was killing alternators, and when the alternator died completely, the system would shut off electrical systems to keep the car running. first my tach went, then the speedo, then the radio, etc. until the engine ultimately shut off. my taurus is a 98.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive