Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 08:55 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,054,443 times

Advertisements

We only got 1 remote entry key fob. Is there a way to get a second remote? Do I have to go through a dealer? Or is there a universal one you can buy? Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 09:24 PM

674 posts, read 2,548,813 times
If it's a factory key fob then you'll probably have to go through the dealer so they can program it. They aren't cheap either, I think they cost about $100. I don't remember though, it's been a while since I worked at a dealership.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
If it's a factory key fob then you'll probably have to go through the dealer so they can program it. They aren't cheap either, I think they cost about $100. I don't remember though, it's been a while since I worked at a dealership.

Funny...but I should have hit google first. I found quite a few websites offering to sell them. I bought one for $38 with shipping. It's an exact match to the one we have--and they say I can program it off my existing one. I figured it was worth the gamble to give it a shot.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:39 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,618,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Funny...but I should have hit google first. I found quite a few websites offering to sell them. I bought one for $38 with shipping. It's an exact match to the one we have--and they say I can program it off my existing one. I figured it was worth the gamble to give it a shot.
Are you talking about the key, or a key fob?

Our 04 Caravan has a key with the remote stuff on it. Not knowing that it wouldn't work, when we first bought the van I went in and got a duplicate made. The duplicate will start the van, then it'll immediately die. So obviously it's a security key.

I'd like to have a second key, but really don't want to pay over $100 for one.

Let us know how this works for you. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:15 PM

I mean the remote entry remote. The one that unlocks the door, opens the sliding door, etc. Not the security key itself. A few websites seem to offer the remotes for sale, with instructions on how to program it. You just have to have a factory-installed remote entry in it. The van is pretty loaded so I'm guessing it was factory. Like I said...it's worth $40 to try it.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:50 AM

15,409 posts, read 25,722,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I mean the remote entry remote. The one that unlocks the door, opens the sliding door, etc. Not the security key itself. A few websites seem to offer the remotes for sale, with instructions on how to program it. You just have to have a factory-installed remote entry in it. The van is pretty loaded so I'm guessing it was factory. Like I said...it's worth $40 to try it.
It will work. They can indeed be programmed. Hope you like the "new" van. We love our "new" 2005 Grand Caravan.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It will work. They can indeed be programmed. Hope you like the "new" van. We love our "new" 2005 Grand Caravan.

Thanks. It seems like a decent vehicle--real clean, 59k miles (very low for an 01), lots of nice little bells and whistles...

I'm pretty simple when it comes to cars. I have an 07 motorcycle, but other than that I've never owned a car made in this century. I just can't see the reason to spend $20-$30k on a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram