Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 03:12 AM

22 posts, read 60,826 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone
Just wondering if you guys can help me out.
I bought a 2005 Dodge SRT-4 just three days ago. I didn't know how to drive stick before I got the car so this is my first time driving manual. It took a bit of time I learned, but still not well. Anyways on the way to work while shifting from second to third gear, I grind the gears (And this was the first time I've ever done this). After that happened I put stick in Neutral, then I slowed down and tried to put it in first gear but it didn't want to. It seems like it goes into the gear but it doesn't hold on. I seems like it can't get out of Neutral. I thought it was the clutch but I can still turn on the car. So I don't its that. The gears just don't catch.
Anyone have any Ideas what the problems may be????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 05:02 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,111,912 times
couple of things:

1) does it absolutely refuse to go into 1st, or is it just being a PITA? 1st gear in some cars can be tempermental. sometime letting the car roll a bit will help. same goes for reverse.

2) are you coming to a complete stop before trying for 1st?

3) if you cannot get it into 1st, start in 2nd and see if the problem exists on all the other gears or just 1st. if it's consistent with all the others, it's likely a clutch. if it's not, you may be looking at a worn set of syncros for each gear that it gives you trouble on. only solution is to get the tranny rebuilt.

Mike

Old 06-25-2009, 05:52 AM

3,961 posts, read 10,958,591 times
i hate to say it, but I have heard thru my daughter's friends in the tuner world and their shops that the srt4 has had some trans issues. Knowing you bought yours used, odds are it was driven a tad bit "hard" by it's previous owner. You didn't mention if you bought it private party or thru a dealer, but i'll make the assumption it was not a dealer or you'd have the option to take it back to be checked out ( or it would have been before the sale anyhow ).
Any of your friends drive a stick? With no experience ( no offense ), you really won't be able to judge if the clutch itself is working properly to try and rule out certain parts. Having someone used to a manual may help in defining the trouble.
But I agree that you may be needing some work in there. Best of luck.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:21 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,630,423 times
How did you grind gears on a 2-3 shift? How fast are you trying to shift?

I'd start by checking the transmission fluid and seeing if its low. I'd also check the clutch fluid and see if that is low. Maybe its low fluid, maybe the clutch hydraulics are going...

Old 06-25-2009, 11:14 AM

89 posts, read 524,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
How did you grind gears on a 2-3 shift? How fast are you trying to shift?

I'd start by checking the transmission fluid and seeing if its low. I'd also check the clutch fluid and see if that is low. Maybe its low fluid, maybe the clutch hydraulics are going...
Good advice. Adding to this, I don't remember, but it may be a cable shift linkage, in which case a cable could be stretched or broken not allowing it to go in gear. If it is the clutch, you can test by putting the car in gear when the engine is off, then starting it up and seeing if it works. If it stays in gear then, it may just be an issue of getting it into gear caused by the clutch never fully disengaging. If none of these, its going to be time to find yourself another trans or get a rebuild.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:16 PM

22 posts, read 60,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
couple of things:

1) does it absolutely refuse to go into 1st, or is it just being a PITA? 1st gear in some cars can be tempermental. sometime letting the car roll a bit will help. same goes for reverse.

2) are you coming to a complete stop before trying for 1st?

3) if you cannot get it into 1st, start in 2nd and see if the problem exists on all the other gears or just 1st. if it's consistent with all the others, it's likely a clutch. if it's not, you may be looking at a worn set of syncros for each gear that it gives you trouble on. only solution is to get the tranny rebuilt.

Mike
It goes into all the gears but it doesn't hold on, it just goes back to neutral. Even if I try to put it in reverse it goes into the gear but doesn't hold on, the reverse lights don't turn on either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
i hate to say it, but I have heard thru my daughter's friends in the tuner world and their shops that the srt4 has had some trans issues. Knowing you bought yours used, odds are it was driven a tad bit "hard" by it's previous owner. You didn't mention if you bought it private party or thru a dealer, but i'll make the assumption it was not a dealer or you'd have the option to take it back to be checked out ( or it would have been before the sale anyhow ).
Any of your friends drive a stick? With no experience ( no offense ), you really won't be able to judge if the clutch itself is working properly to try and rule out certain parts. Having someone used to a manual may help in defining the trouble.
But I agree that you may be needing some work in there. Best of luck.
Actually I've already had three people look it they say they have no idea whats up with it. And I also bought it from a dealer.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:52 PM

89 posts, read 524,604 times
If you can locate where the linkage connects to the transmission, you can try to manually push it into gear there on the chance the linage is stretched/broken. To locate it, have one person look in the engine bay, or under while another is trying to shift with the car off. Once you see how it works pushing it into gear, you can see if you can push it further. There are also other issues that could have occurred like bending/breaking the selector fork. If its nothing external, it will be cheaper to find yourself a good used transmission than rebuilding that one.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:03 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,878,204 times
If the car is damaged and you bought it from the dealer see if you can take advantage of any lemon laws.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:06 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,630,423 times
So by "it doesn't stay in gear", can you hold it in gear and it engages, or do you mean you can put it in the shift gate for a gear, but it doesn't go into gear at all?

Old 06-25-2009, 04:14 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
If it's popping out of all 5 forward gears and reverse and the reverse lights are not coming on, apparently there is something going on with the shifter causing it to not shift fully into any gear. Could be as simple as the mounting bolts for the main pivot point, ball, whatever it has coming loose, or a problem with the pivot.

I'm just guessing based on what you posted, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive