Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:21 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Actually, this is a perfect example of how little people know about cars anymore. No dipstick? Fine, get under the car and unscrew the fill plug to check if its full or low. You don't need to pay a mechanic to do that if you're willing to get under the car. How exactly do you think mechanics check the fluid level? They don't use magic, they use the same hands and eyes we all have.
That's still no excuse to why they wont provide a simple dipstick. My '02 Explorer doesn't have a dipstick either, it's the dumbest thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 12:01 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think you are almost completely wrong. I can't explain the tranny dispstick for the 300 - but it's a Chrysler. What do you expect?

A Kia will easily last 10 years with normal maintenance. Cars today don't rust out like they used to. Yes the engines are complex - but they are in general fantastic from top to bottom. If Honda was trying to make me spend more for service, then why do their vehicles require so little?
You can think what you want but you missed my point. Not all new cars as you claim are all that and a bag of chips. Might as well be preaching to me how when Hyundais first came out they were all that.

That's funny how you mentioned Kia, I still remember when those cars were labeled as junk throw away cars from several owners who were overwhelmed with problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Actually, this is a perfect example of how little people know about cars anymore. No dipstick? Fine, get under the car and unscrew the fill plug to check if its full or low. You don't need to pay a mechanic to do that if you're willing to get under the car. How exactly do you think mechanics check the fluid level? They don't use magic, they use the same hands and eyes we all have.
So I guess now when someone wants to do something as minor as check the transmission oil, they need to jack up the car, then crawl under the car, get all dirty, etc....some people, my FIL included are too old to be crawling under a vehicle just to check the fluid level....the fluids that need to be often checked....oil, transmission, brake....should remain as a "pull out the dipstick and check from up above"....or I suppose if the engineers wanted to create a transmission fluid level gauge on the dash similar to the fuel gauge, that would work too.

And how do mechanics check the fluid level? If I had to guess, they probably pour fluid in the hole until it comes out and falls level with the bottom of the filler hole, then cap it off.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:20 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Easy, I changed all of those myself.
From the photo you posted, it looks like the engine compartment is somewhat cramped.

Doesn't seem to have the ample room the engine compartments that older cars had.
An example: '66 Plymouth Fury VIP 383...

Old 07-03-2009, 01:28 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
That's funny how you mentioned Kia, I still remember when those cars were labeled as junk throw away cars from several owners who were overwhelmed with problems.
1999 called, they want their misinformed opinions about Kia's back.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:41 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
1999 called, they want their misinformed opinions about Kia's back.
Ummm... The early Kias had a LOT of problems. They've made a lot of improvements in the past several years.

This is coming from my friend who is a service/tech supervisor at a Kia dealership here in Omaha.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:48 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Ummm... The early Kias had a LOT of problems. They've made a lot of improvements in the past several years.

This is coming from my friend who is a service/tech supervisor at a Kia dealership here in Omaha.
I realize that the very early models had issues but 2000+ was generally a period of massive turn around in quality levels for Kia/Hyundai.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:04 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

Thank you for pointing out what it'slikeanegg didn't understand.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:04 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
From the photo you posted, it looks like the engine compartment is somewhat cramped.

Doesn't seem to have the ample room the engine compartments that older cars had.
An example: '66 Plymouth Fury VIP 383...

i feel like i need a tetnis shot just lookin' at the pic! lol

Mike

Old 07-04-2009, 10:44 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I realize that the very early models had issues but 2000+ was generally a period of massive turn around in quality levels for Kia/Hyundai.
I know someone who bought a new Kia Rio in 2003 (gawd that thing was ugly), in less than two years nearly all of the paint on the hood and roof was missing, and it also had many mechanical problems that the dealer didn't want to fix under warranty. She had to threaten to use the Florida lemon law to get them to fix her problems. It's unacceptable for a car that new to have that many problems and look like a 20 year old beater. That Kia looked worse than the 1990 Buick Century that she traded for it.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:58 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
Kia=Daewoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive